Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dry Washing cars / Waterless car-wash

Hi,

I saw a User Car TV program yesterday where they were showing some new product and how using that product you can wash cars without using water. The kit contained a solution/ spray , A towel glove and a microfiber towel. It is as simple as spraying the solution using the towel glove and wiping of the area sprayed a moment back and then using Microfiber towel to further clean it and bring in the gloss.

Anyone has any concrete information on what the product is, where can we buy the same and any experience on using such products.
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:36   #2
BHPian

you can most likely only buy it through the numbers shown on TV.

what i don't like about the idea of dry washing is "where do the dirt particles go???" surely they are not being dissolved, so you'll end up with micro tears which will dull the paint in the long run. what you should be doing is loosening the dirt with clean water and a soft cloth before you get down to shampoos/waxes.

another word of caution - i once ordered a utility "drill" machine from telebrands (which BTW is owned by reliance). it cost me around 2k or so. when it came and i tried it out, the motor turned out to be a WEAK DC one which couldn't even drill a hole in softboard let alone walls and wood/plywood. it is TOTALLY USELESS. and i wouldn't recommend teleshopping to anyone after that experience. moreover, their office is in mumbai, i live in bangalore - had they had a local office i would have barged in and demanded a refund or else threatened them with a case. over the phone you just cannot get the same effect.

PS: i use formula 1 wax solution (which can be mixed with water). it not only washes the car, but also waxes in the same step. it's convenient and has given me decent results. i would recommend you to try it. you can get in most large retail stores (foodworld/spar/etc).

Last edited by silver_shadow : 2nd February 2009 at 16:37.
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yup... I wouldn't risk my money on such things. And also the risk of creating micro scratches on the paint is quite real.

Better use known product like Turtle Wax or Furmula One. Again, beware of fakes...

Microfiber cloth, etc., is also available in the market.

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd February 2009 at 16:57.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Better use known product like Turtle Wax or Furmula One. Again, beware of fakes...

Microfiber cloth, etc., is also available in the market.
There are fake Fomula One and Turtle Wax products too now :O
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats exactly what I'v cautioned against! So buy only from reputed shops. Some smaller shops I'v been to have actually produced both in front of me - one as the genuine thing and other fake. Of course there is a price difference between the two. And I could not make out any difference between the containers at all... at least not in within the minute or so that I scrutinised them... scary!
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:05   #6
BHPian

Yes silver is right. If there is mud then paint would be spoiled. Better to use good car shampoo etc to wash your car once in 1 week. Already this is discussed in length in other threads. To avoid the fake brands I started using the Amway products liek car shampoo and silicon glaze along with leather cleaner. They are cheap,effective and real. I had 2 times experience of buying fake 3M products :(. Or go with those shops which you really confident of

Last edited by aka_iitd : 2nd February 2009 at 17:16.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

There's this thing called Bio Wash which has been introduced in select fuel stations out here. I was tempted to try it out twice when I went in for the full-wash, but wasnt too sure how good it would be or how damage-free it would be.

Perhaps they should have a demo every now and then so people can see what they're going in for.

I am intrigued, will try it out on the truck sometime and let you guys know.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Yes silver is right. If there is mud then paint would be spoiled. Better to use good car shampoo etc to wash your car once in 1 week. Already this is discussed in length in other threads. To avoid the fake brands I started using the Amway products liek car shampoo and silicon glaze along with leather cleaner. They are cheap,effective and real. I had 2 times experience of buying fake 3M products :(. Or go with those shops which you really confident of
Fake 3M products?? Hmm... so how could you tell the difference between the fake and the real thing?
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Fake 3M products?? Hmm... so how could you tell the difference between the fake and the real thing?
Just by using them and the printing on the container. Printing is little hazzy if you watch closely.The performance was totally different when I compared with the one which I finished.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just by using them and the printing on the container. Printing is little hazzy if you watch closely.The performance was totally different when I compared with the one which I finished.
Are MRP's printed on Fake and Original same ?
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Are MRP's printed on Fake and Original same ?
Price were same. Same white sticker was printed. Anyway I stopped after that and switched to mentioned products which are serving good and cost effective.
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
where did you pick that up? you are in bangy right?
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Even i am using Amway now days. It does job pretty well. And the best thing the shampoo is ECO FRIENDLY
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:51   #14
BANNED

Last August, I had attended the international franchise exhibition in Dubai trade centre. There were 2 companies displaying similar products and inviting business partners for the same.

Out of the two, one had a very interesting machinery. It was of the size of 2 golf club holders (the ones used by people like Ajmat at the golf course to drag their clubs/sticks/whatever, with wheels et al) and shaped like one too. It could wash a car with very less water. It contained a water recycling unit, a mini water tank, spraying unit, soap/cleaning solution and necessary brushes/fibre wipes etc.. The concept is to spray water over a little area of the car with the provided spraying unit. It spreads water evenly and smoothly over the surface. Then wipe using the fibre supplied. It was designed in such manner that it could absorb dust and grime with very less damage on the paint. There is a mixer bucket on top to soak the fibre to rinse it and it is connected to the recycling unit which makes sure that the water is always clean while washing is in process. Once done with rubbing and removing the dirt, the sprayer can be deployed again if needed (some cars will have less dirt). Finally, a polishing cloth is provided to dry and finish the procedure!
A normal sedan (Lancer sized) required only 2 minimum litres of water to a maximum of 5. They had a car at the stall for demo of the whole procedure. Not much water dripped on the floor to make the carpet dirty. An interesting concept.

The other company had some spray kind of a container with some magic chemical which would dissolve dust and grime. They were boasting of 'no water car wash' which I think is what being discussed here. That looked very harmful to the paint and finish. They had a yellow colored car IIRC an Octavia, which was not in a commentable finish. Many questions I asked were unanswered. This explained the product by itself.
Not at all recommended.

There's no good replacement yet for water when it comes to washing cars.

Last edited by speedzak : 2nd February 2009 at 18:53. Reason: Shape
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:35   #15
BHPian

Watch this weeks Wheelocity on Zee Buisness they have done a demo of the product Driwash n Guard and it looked promising,the cost they said was Rs750/- and it works for ten washes.Here is the product link DRI WASH 'n GUARD Waterless Car Wash: The Original Dry Wash!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks