Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

AirCon Servicing on an Alto

guys i have an alto done 42000 kms till date. i think its time to do an AC servicing. this facility is available with MASS but they charge a whooping 2500rs for the same.

the AC is subros make. do the Subros people have servicing centres outside? especially in pune?

What all needs to be done for servicing the AC. As per my knowledge, its compressor oil change. AC gas charging, Chemical cleaning(dont know how its done).

What are the costs incurred in AC servicing? i think 2500rs is a RIP-OFF
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

I find 2500 a reasonable amount because everything is done by a single machine and is a completely automated process. Just plug in the machine to the aircon lines and press the start button. Also the 2500 includes all the consumables like the refrigerant and compressor oil. Also you will have peace of mind becuase the machine will fill in the exact amount of refrigerant needed for your car.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even if you go outside and get all this done,it will cost you around 1500

so you can either find a reputed AC service guy or give your alto to MASS.

and its a once in 2-3 years kinda job
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ Amit_mechengg:

Check with Subros directly if you want.

Subros Limited : Office & Plant Addresses, Noida R&D Centre, Noida Plant, Noida Tool Room, Manesar Plant, Pune Plant

Off Topic: Keeping fingers crossed for you. Looking at other threads by you, hope AC servicing does not lead to any additional problem or performance degradation for you.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Amit,

I would suggest you go with the M.A.S.S service itself. At least those guys would know what they are doing. Regardless of the cost, you will get some peace of mind that the job was well done (hopefully).

Now, this is unless you get a reliable service center who are experienced in doing this kind of work.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:22   #6
BHPian

Amit,

Its no harm to check once with outside of MASS and get a quote. Last month, I got my Indica AC completely checked, cleaned and refilled the gas (after almost 6 years of usage). I went to Climate Engineers on Karve Road opposite Garware College. He charged me 2500, but taking out the Dashboard to get access to BLower, coils is extremely tedious job on Indica. I was present through out the time when job was done and he did a good job.

take care and drive safely
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

ohh 2500 rs including the gas and oil is a good price then. ya better i go to the MASS as they might be doing many such cars regularly.
and as per my weird experiences with my alto leading to some very small yet funny problems i dont want to take a risk with the AC.
Thanks a lot folks.

one more question. Alto has a 110 cc AC on a 800 cc motor as compared to Zens and older marutis which had 60CC AC on 1000cc motor. The ac kills half the engine power and driving an alto with AC on is like driving a "Bullock Cart" with no better control on the Power Band.

Is there any way to help reduce the power losses? somewhere i had read that changing the pulley size helps and all. but has anyone done this ?
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

You can install a smaller diameter pulley on the compressor or a bigger pulley on the engine. For this you will also need to change the pulley belt. This modification makes the compressor run at a higher RPM.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
You can install a smaller diameter pulley on the compressor or a bigger pulley on the engine. For this you will also need to change the pulley belt. This modification makes the compressor run at a higher RPM.
will this have any implications on the engine/compressor? how will the clutch actuation of the compressor work with high rpms?
is there any ratio/calculation between the engine RPM and the AC compressor RPM
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

There will be no after effects on clutch actuation. The new ratio will be dependent on the safe working working RPM of the compressor.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Vikram, it is certainly not worth the trouble, if you ask me. You are increasing the chances of your compressor conking off.
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Like I said whatever modification is done has to be within the safe working range of the compressor. Within this limits it will not casue any problems, but cross the limit and you are into the unknown.
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Like I said whatever modification is done has to be within the safe working range of the compressor. Within this limits it will not casue any problems, but cross the limit and you are into the unknown.
I am sure the manufacturer has designed the compressor to work within that exact safe range at the highest engine rpms. It is just too much of a risk to try something like that.
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

The manufacturers also keep a huge safety margin. This margin can very easily be utilised. The typical factor of safety (FoS) for automobile compressors is between 1.7 - 2.0. The compressor in the car is running at a FoS of 1.0 even at maximum engine RPM. You can very easily push it up to 1.3 - 1.5 to be safe. Again this depends on how old the compressor is. If it is relatively new then nothing will happen to it.
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
guys i have an alto done 42000 kms till date. i think its time to do an AC servicing.

Is it mandatory to do ac servicing after say 40000km?
If yes, where is it written in manual?
If no, then why are you thinking about ac servicing? any problem with ac?

I need to know this as my alto is nearing 47000 km run and i have not touched ac yet. It is running as new.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks