Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2009, 19:51   #1

Weird problem - Ikon

Hi all,

Ive been facing a weird problem with my car for the past week or so. Have been lazy to take it to the Ford authorised service centers, its first on my list tomorrow.

heres what happens :

Irrespective of the engine temperature, the car does not rev beyond 2000RPM. this is with the clutch and throttle fully depressed. this happens only when the car is moving.

when the car is stationary, the engine hesitates slightly at 2000RPM and the proceeds to the redline. no problems there whatsoever.

to add to the complexity, this started only after my engine swap - from a 1.6 to a 1.3

anyone experience this?

thanks,
Madhu.
Old 10th February 2009, 22:58   #2
BHPian

Did you also change the ECU, the oxygen/lambda sensors and the gearbox along with the engine?
Old 10th February 2009, 23:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Did you also change the ECU, the oxygen/lambda sensors and the gearbox along with the engine?
Hi Astleviz,

No. the ECU is from the 1.6, so are the O2 sensors and gearbox. I called Ford after posting, they said that those should not matter.

They said, that over the phone, they suspected the TPS(throttle position sensor), throttle body, MAT(a hybrid MAP and IAT sensor) and the crank sensor.

well, any idea where i can get these sensors here in Bangalore?

thanks,
Madhu.
Old 11th February 2009, 01:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

1.6 to 1.3, now why on earth do you do that??

most of here always thinks of doing the other way round.
Old 11th February 2009, 01:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

Well, to cut a long story short, all 4 cylinders seized and are scored badly. picked up this 1.3 engine for a bargain, and had a daily driver for a while.

now, no driver. :(

say, does anyone know if Race Dynamics has an ECU for the Ikon?

~M
Old 11th February 2009, 01:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

Plus 1 to that. I have had a 1.3 for 3.5 years and would kill for a 1.6. Why the downgrade. Where did you get that done from? Are you sure the transplant was perfectly done?
Old 11th February 2009, 02:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhunm View Post
Hi Astleviz,

No. the ECU is from the 1.6, so are the O2 sensors and gearbox. I called Ford after posting, they said that those should not matter.

They said, that over the phone, they suspected the TPS(throttle position sensor), throttle body, MAT(a hybrid MAP and IAT sensor) and the crank sensor.

well, any idea where i can get these sensors here in Bangalore?

thanks,
Madhu.
Even if you were able to get the TPS, throttle body and the MAT, I doubt if your ikon will run perfectly. For one, the 1.6 has a shorter gear box (gear ratios are closer) as compared to the 1.3. Also I'm not sure if the 1.3 and the 1.6 share the same ecu.

The only place you can get the sensors is from the Ford dealers, I don't think these are available in the market.
Old 12th February 2009, 19:23   #8

Hi all,

got some updates. I swapped out the TPS, MAP, and Crank sensor, no difference. While i was swapping out these, had the intake manifold and throttlebody cleaned.

I took the her to Metro Ford, who, after a long drawn process of making me wait, agreed to run diags.

The technecian who ran the test was more focussed at hiding the results from me rather than tell me the results. I managed to sneak in and look over his shoulder, there were a lot of DTC error codes.

There were two which caught my attention, one said that 'Circuit A of ignition circuit failing' and the other was that the 'VSS reported intermittent failure'

I know now that the problem is with the wiring, shall fix it and let you guys know.

Regarding the 'downgrade', the 1.3 engine is running just till i get the 1.6 engine modded as per my desires/needs.

Thanks,
Madhu.
Old 12th February 2009, 23:25   #9
BHPian

It may be just a wiring issue but more likely it's an ECU issue, 1.6 and 1.3 have a different ECU, I'm not sure how an ECU that has the maps for a 1.6 L engine can work just as fine for a 1.3 L engine without any tweaks/changes. Even the gear ratios are different for both these cars.
Old 13th February 2009, 01:58   #10

Hi Astleviz,

Both the 1.6 and the 1.3 have the EEC-V ECU, although made by different vendors. Over the years, the vendors have gone from Visteon to Bosch to now, Siemens.

Even the countries of manufacture has changed. Notwithstanding that, i dont think the maps make the engine to cutout at 2000RPM.

Gear ratios will come into picture only when the engine runs well. this one does not go past 2000RPM.
Old 15th February 2009, 18:58   #11
BHPian

As far as I know, Ford has standardised the ECM`s to EEC V.

I did a lot of research on this when my ECM blew off and had to be replaced. I was told at that time that the Fiesta also has the same ECM ????

One more thing - the ECM`s are imported from Brazil ( they were in 2006).
Old 15th February 2009, 21:55   #12
BHPian

Have you managed to figure out what the problem is? Did rewiring help? Keep us posted on this peculiar issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks