Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 16:30   #1
BHPian

Headlamp leveler for Alto

I have an Alto vxi(which came with the "glass" headlamps), today i managed to get my hands on a type II front bumper,grill and clear lens headlamps, which came with the headlamp leveler motors. How do i wire this up, has anyone done this conversion before ?
Old 11th February 2009, 16:40   #2
BANNED

I have done this to my old baby and it worked until it met up with another crash. :(

Do you also have the headlamp controller switch?
If yes, then all you have to do is get the wiring from battery to the switch and from the switch to the motors. It's not simple positive negative connection but needs a bit of brainstorming and experimenting to get it right. I used a good electrician's help to get it working.
Old 11th February 2009, 16:46   #3
BHPian

Yes the controller switch is there,just need to buy it.
zak i have to do it myself only, so a few points would help.
thanks!
Old 11th February 2009, 21:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

Arpan,

The levelers i've played with have all been vaccuum adjusted ("old skool" i guess).

If you can put up pictures of the motors and more importantly the wires coming off it - that should give us an indication of what the setup is and then figuring out how to deal with it should be easy.

cya
R
Old 11th February 2009, 21:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

arpandiv we tried the same on manikjeet car. Changed the whole look from OLD to New one but got stuck at sourcing the motor and switch.

2003 Maruti Suzuki Alto lx my present car - manikjeet's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

If you get it to work let us know. Do take detailed pics of wiring.
Old 12th February 2009, 02:55   #6
BANNED

Motor is quiet nicely hidden (not easily accessible) inside the headlamp assembly. There's a socket on one corner of the assembly with 3 connection points. 1 ground (-) and 2 positive (+). Both the motors has to be connected in the correct polarity for the switch to work.
If you manage to get the switch and it's wiring harness you can't go wrong with the connections.

But the trick is, in the newer gen altos, this whole wiring is connected to the system harness. And it's remotedly connected to the ECU and the electrical system, I was told so.
So, what I did was that I byepassed this process and got a direct connection from the battery to the level control switch (don't ask me how many wires and how, this part is unknown to me as this whole job was done by my neighborhood electrician and I was not present in this part to see it). And the switch did it's job making the motors move.
Then came the next difficult part. The motors were in 2 different positions and they had to be aligned manually, this is easy as it sounds but a very good irritating fun to work with. Then, I sometimes had the problem of the adjusting hook falling off from the light reflector. I understand it was also due to improper motor alignment.

So, I would recommend you to take help from a friendly Maruti mechanic. Else, you need a bit of patience and lots a cigarettes!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks