Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2009, 21:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Steering bush replacement - Matiz

I need some help rather urgently. I had given my 2000 matiz to my son for his use 2 months ago. he is fairly new to cars and has not much technical knowledge but can drive OK.

The problem is that the lower bush of the sterring shaft broke and he needs to replace it. I found out from my mechanic here in Goa that it is a fairly easy job and the bush has to be pressed into the steering shaft on a machine and then fitted back.

However, when son went to a mechanic in Whitefield area, the mechanic told him that the shaft would have to be cut, the bush fitted on and then the shaft welded back. when son called me and told me this, I was aghast at anyone suggesting cutting the shaft so I told him hang on while i try to find a "honest" and reliable mechanic in and around CV raman nagar, whitefield area.
So Im asking you guys at TBHP to help me out here with a reliable mechanic in the above areas.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th February 2009 at 21:57. Reason: edited [FONT] tags
Old 21st February 2009, 15:49   #2
BHPian

Hi dude,
You dont have to cut and weld anything for changing the steering bushes. Probably the mechanic has'nt learnt well on a Matiz. I got a workshop manual for a Matiz. If you could PM you personal email id, I can mail the steering gearbox part alone (The whole manual is 156MB large, thats why..) The manual has got some pics on how the steering system is being dismantled and put back. That can give u an idea about the quantity of labour really involved in this replacement.

But how did u conclude that the lower bush had got broken.
Old 21st February 2009, 16:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

i suppose yours is a non-power steering.

here is an image of the column. please tell which part is worn. or is it the rack/pinion part.
Steering bush replacement - Matiz-matiz-st-column-medium.jpg
Old 21st February 2009, 21:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
So Im asking you guys at TBHP to help me out here with a reliable mechanic in the above areas.
Guys, I think he knows what needs to be done and only wants to know if any workshop in the whitefield area that can do it reliably.

So pour in your recommendations as requested.
Old 21st February 2009, 22:39   #5
BANNED

Not near whitefield but, if you dont mind taking a trip till R T Nagar, i could help.

I've p m'ed you the number, He's a trained Deawoo mechanic.
Old 21st February 2009, 23:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Guys, I think he knows what needs to be done and only wants to know if any workshop in the whitefield area that can do it reliably.

So pour in your recommendations as requested.
Maybe you are right.
I just got the feeling that car is with his son in Bangalore and he is in Goa. So its that he might not be able to see the defect in person. Hence asking for a reliable workshop.
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Thanks guys esp Muralisk and Pawan Kadam
Got the name and tel no of a workshop on hosur rd near the IBP gas station. Yes it is far, but now dont have a choice. Hopefully son will get it done this week (if he gets the time).

Quote:
here is an image of the column. please tell which part is worn. or is it the rack/pinion part.
Attachment 103330
Got the diagram off the net BUT dont see any bushin it.

Quote:
But how did u conclude that the lower bush had got broken. 20th February 2009 21:09
However the bush broke and fell onto the foor of the car where the pedals are and the steering developed up and down play. Here is the photo of the broken part. He bought a replacement from Marthahalli cost 80/-
Attached Thumbnails
Steering bush replacement - Matiz-s.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2009, 16:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

ok! its the elbow part I guess. Can it No.5 in the image posted by me.
Old 24th February 2009, 14:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Done the repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
ok! its the elbow part I guess. Can it No.5 in the image posted by me.
Thanks to santosh at the bangalore garage, rs 500/- and 30 minutes, the work was done. he knew his job well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks