Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 19:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

What maintenance do drum brakes require?

Guys, we all talk about changing the brake pads on the discs. But what do we do about the drums at the rear? Surely, the material in those also wears out. So, how often do should we replace the shoes on the drums?

Have clocked 45K km on my xeta and am running on my third set disc pads but the rear brakes have never been opened.
Old 27th February 2009, 19:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check the brake shoes and wheel cylinders.
Also, Scrub the drums and internals with a wire brush.
Old 27th February 2009, 21:25   #3
BHPian

Usually the brake shoes on the rear do not last more than 25-30k kms max. Get it opened and check. There is a chance that they mite have replaced it under periodic service schedule.
Old 27th February 2009, 21:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
...what do we do about the drums at the rear? Surely, the material in those also wears out. So, how often do should we replace the shoes on the drums?
Most cars will go through 3 to 4 sets of front disc pads before requiring one set of rear drum shoes/liners. Open and check the liner thickness after 50k km, and 20k km thereafter. Some cars may only need a set of shoes after 100k km - it'll depend on the F/R brake bias as set up by the manufacturer. My Accent is still on its original shoes after 90k km.
Old 28th February 2009, 09:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I dont have any issues with braking on my car. But just wanted to know what the symptoms of rear brake shoes deteriorating/failing...
Old 28th February 2009, 09:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
just wanted to know what the symptoms of rear brake shoes deteriorating/failing...
Easiest way to check is whether your handbrake can easily hold the car without rolling on a steep slope. Try the ramp of a basement car-park to test. You should be able to keep the car from rolling with just a few effortless clicks, not yank at the lever with all your might.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2009, 11:53   #7
BHPian

usually most of the braking load is on the front brake pads. the rear lasts longer. however regular cleaning, rubbing the brake pads with polish paper etc are required.
also inspect the thickness of the brake pads during regular service. you can make out if the are worn out.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Have clocked 45K km on my xeta and am running on my third set disc pads but the rear brakes have never been opened.
My Marina at 53000+kms has the OEM pads still. Rear brake pads were not changed in my long sold Indica DLE at 65000kms.

My City CVT is still on OEM front disc pads.

Last edited by trrk : 28th February 2009 at 19:13.
Old 28th February 2009, 20:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

My Marina at 53000+kms has the OEM pads still. Rear brake pads were not changed in my long sold Indica DLE at 65000kms.

My City CVT is still on OEM front disc pads.
i too feel that 45 k kms and 3 sets of pads is too much for a change. must be hard braking all the time or else a.s.s. people have taken you for a ride. my wagonR and alto both have done 40 plus and still going strong with the same sets of front and rears brakes.
Old 1st March 2009, 12:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Front disc pads

Hi Deeps,

Check this message:

Yahoo! Groups

Should give you an indication whether your front disc brake pads needs changing.
Old 1st March 2009, 18:05   #11
BHPian

My petrol innova at 38.5k km s was taken to mahableshwwar and on reaching the resort there was a grinding sound on application of brake same day afternoon after putting kids ans wife in the resort me and my cousin went to the local mechanic only to find that the pad s are totally finished and scraping the disk s . Sourced a used pair of pad s locally and was assured by the local mechanic that these will reach me safely mumbai all costed 1400 bux and it did reach me mumbai !!! Was a taxing experience although . Reaching Mumbai got the pads changed brake s cleaned disk surface also buffed !!
Had thought of giving the car for 40k service anyway s. The culprit here is innova petrol s service shcedule which implies 10k or 12mth s whichever is earlier .!!! YA and me too for not noticing the whistling sound which come s when pad s are at the end of it s life !!
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Sourced a used pair of pad s locally and was assured by the local mechanic that these will reach me safely mumbai all costed 1400 bux and it did reach me mumbai !!!
And how much did you pay to get the brake serviced?
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:07   #13
BHPian

I had the rear brake rotors skimmed so that the surface is even. this was done on my uno after about 60K kms. i constantly get the cylinders and brake liners checked. when i get my car washed at the mechanic, i normally ask him to air out the rear breake rotors so all the carbon and black soot collected get blown away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks