Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 17:55   #1
BHPian

Some Misc stuff

Gents,
I have been driving a Maruti ZEN 2001 MPFI model for last 4 years and over the period I have been through the following issues, thought of sharing them with the solution so that it could help anyone faced with the issues. Please excuse my novice language, am not that expert like many of you guys here, apologies!

1. Car losing power during driving and failing to start frequently:
A possible issue with the fuel pump or its sensor could also cause this. One small time mechannic at kerala came home that day and he identified the problem quickly by asking me start the ignition and he kept his ears near the fuel tank and spotted that the pump is not working and reason being the sensor. Worth considering this as well along with other culpricts

2. A/C does not work:
A/C was working on one of my long drives, bust next day morning it stopped working. The blower works, air comes in but not cold at all. Mechanic spotted that 'No Gas' refilled the gas (1400 Rs) and checked and repaired the compressor. Gas stayed for few hours and then same situation. Took it back to the same mechanic and spotted that the A/C condensor pipes was broken. He tried to 'weld' (some aluminium welding and not regular welding) but did not work out. Finally had to replace the entire condensor was replaced which solved the issue. Any A/C issues, please check the condensor, compressor, gas leakage etc.

3. Rear side tyres touches the body when on highways and pass through dips:
Multiple causes like worn out shock abs, they might have turned 'soft' in nature, Coil suspension being weak and the rear arm spoiled, any one could cause the issue.

4. Rear Tyre in a slanding position and the tyre sides get worn out faster due to this:
For ZEN and for many other cars, the rear wheel arm assembly is a big rod and not independent. In my case this had a small bend and this was causing the tyre to be on a slanding position. This was identified after 2 consecutive services with BIMAL auto agency in Bangalore, earlier 2 times they said that the shock abs are the cause and replaced it, but still had this problem. Finally spotted by a small mechaninc in kerala!

5. Fuel Types (Speed, Extra Premium etc):
I had the grumbling noice when the vehicle is on high rpms and always used to wonder what is this.thankfully the mechanic from BIMAL AUTO AGENCY in Bangalore recommended that this could be due to the fuel type and the 2001 model cars are not exactly designed for the latest type of fules with aditives and octane numbers and also warned that it could damage the fuel pump slowly. From then on I as for 'normal' petrol and the problem seem to be addressed!

6. Vibration at higher speeds:
On higher speeds, above 80 KMPH, car used to vibrate with a feeling of vertical motion. BIMAL guys couldn't spot the issue. A tyre dealer suggested that the discs could be the culprit and checked and there they were. In fact one of my disc was damaged above any possible repairs and replaced them with a wheel alignment - that solved the issue. Always check the tyre / disc and possible wheel alignment/balancing for high speed vibrations

7. Vibrating brakes:
While applying brakes at higher speeds, used to feel a vibration recently. BIMAL guys replaced my brake shoes frequently but not helping. Recently SURAKSHA CAR CARE guys spotted the issue and replaced the shoes along with the plate. Resolved the issue

8. Low clearance and scrapping bottom (most of us feel this I assume)
From my learning, with my car specially, I have learnt that when taking the humps/bumps that you are almost sure that you will scrap, if you try to negotiate that in first gear, than second or higher, you could escape. Also I have heard that negotiating the humps with an angle also will help if you ar esure that you are going to scrap at any cost!

9. Yellow light on dash board:
As per Maruti manual it is a faulty 'fuel injection' and need attention immediately. If the vehicle is driven additional distance, it can cause permanent damage to the system. In my case it was a faulty speedometer cable, that can also cause the yellow light on dash, and it seems any electrical faults will give a yellow light !

Cheers
Narayanan
Old 10th March 2009, 18:09   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post

2. A/C does not work:
A/C was working on one of my long drives, bust next day morning it stopped working. The blower works, air comes in but not cold at all. Mechanic spotted that 'No Gas' refilled the gas (1400 Rs) and checked and repaired the compressor. Gas stayed for few hours and then same situation. Took it back to the same mechanic and spotted that the A/C condensor pipes was broken. He tried to 'weld' (some aluminium welding and not regular welding) but did not work out. Finally had to replace the entire condensor was replaced which solved the issue. Any A/C issues, please check the condensor, compressor, gas leakage etc.
I once had the problem of an a/c that refused to cut in, seemingly of its own accord. It would engage and disengage on its own. The problem was of course nothing more than a loose wire at the battery terminal!
Old 10th March 2009, 18:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Gents,

8. Low clearance and scrapping bottom (most of us feel this I assume)
From my learning, with my car specially, I have learnt that when taking the humps/bumps that you are almost sure that you will scrap, if you try to negotiate that in first gear, than second or higher, you could escape. Also I have heard that negotiating the humps with an angle also will help if you ar esure that you are going to scrap at any cost!

Narayanan
This ones a first timer for me. What difference does it make to the height/GC of the vehicle in different gears ?

If I negotiate back breakers..err..speed breakers at an angle in Bangalore, I'm sure to be treated with someone with a blarring power horn who is trying to overtake me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks