Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2005, 13:13   #61
BHPian

All diesel engines are equipped with a glow plug or the heater as it is known. When the ignition is switched on, the glow plug brings the combustion chamber to proper temperature (i think its 800 c) prior to the engine being cranked.

BTW in Kargil sectors and all, the bulldozers and other critical equipments are kept running throughout the peak winter season to prevent other fluids like oil, coolant etc from freezing.
Old 26th May 2005, 01:20   #62
BHPian

exactely diesel engines have heater plugs(glow plugs) to heat the engines in the mornings, in places where it is really really cold like canada n all , the blocks of the engines are plugged in to a heater, connected to a wall socket, it is cheaper than running the engine all the time(like throughout the night), these devices are called Block Heaters.
Old 26th May 2005, 09:53   #63
Team-BHP Support

even in kerala, we need to keep the ol peugeot engine which did some few lakh kms runnin over night or parked on top of a hill and a bucket full of boiling water for the radiator in the morning
Old 26th May 2005, 12:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
a bucket full of boiling water for the radiator in the morning
That remids me of my college days when a friend of mine used to drive a Diesel Jonga. Remember lighting a kerosene stove to boil water under the oil pan and then pouring the boiling water over the block to start the monster up.
Old 8th March 2006, 03:09   #65
BHPian

It is practically impossible to produce a sparkplugless engine.. Have you ever heard a Petrol Engine without a Sparkplug..
Old 8th March 2006, 03:15   #66
BHPian

Harrie Brother you have crazy Knowledge there.. Can help me out some other day with my questions..
Old 8th March 2006, 08:03   #67

Newer Diesel engines have glow plugs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
All diesel engines are equipped with a glow plug or the heater as it is known.
I really doubt.

I know Indica had glow plugs ...I had to wait for the glow plug timer to go off before cranking the engine which typically took about 10 sec. Alleast one glow plug used to fail every 18months. I used to carry one spare plug with me always !.

For my Diesel Innova , there is no glow plug indicator and I am allowed to crank the engine without any waiting. So is it possible that CRDI engines dont need glowplugs ? Has it got anything to do with Direct injection ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks