Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 00:48   #1
BHPian

Water leaking from AC

Hi,
I have a 2 week old chevy spark. There is a strange problem im facing. If I put on the ac for a long time, the mat on the passenger side has like a small puddle of water.

why do you think this is hapenning?
Old 30th March 2009, 03:33   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride, just get the car checked at the service centre, looks like a leakage in the a.c duct/ near the blower.
Old 30th March 2009, 04:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyoban View Post
Hi,
I have a 2 week old chevy spark. There is a strange problem im facing. If I put on the ac for a long time, the mat on the passenger side has like a small puddle of water.

why do you think this is hapenning?
The part of the aircondition system that gets cold is the evaporator. Basically, cabin air is pulled by the fan over the evaporator coils and blown out through the vents. Because the evaporator coils are cold, water condenses on the outside, the way it would on the outside of a glass full of ice water. In humid conditions, the amount of water condensing on the evaporator coils can be substantial, and will drip off into a catchment pan. Normally, this pan is designed so that water in it will not splash out, usually due to a drain that allows the water to drain out of the vehicle as it drips in.

However, if the drain pipe is clogged or just not installed, then the water will collect in the catchpan instead of draining out of the vehicle. THen it will spash into the cabin. in cars where the evaporator coils are mounted under the dash on the passenger side, this results in water ending up on the floor on the passenger side. If the catchment pan is large and its monsoon season, you can end up not seeing any water because its collected in the pan, then you go around a corner too fast and suddenly you get a lot of chilled water soaking the passenger's feet.

Get that drain checked. most likely its clogged, causing water to collect near the evaporator
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2009, 05:28   #4
BHPian

the same thing happened to me in my palio. When i took it to the service station the guy said it was due to dust getting stuck in the AC water pipe. take it to the service station,they will be able to fix it mostly
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:05   #5
SCH
BHPian

The drain pipe must have come out of the socket resulting in the water getting spilled on the became allright.. I had experienced this in my Matiz in 2000, and it was due to the pipe coming out which when fixed
Old 4th April 2009, 00:49   #6
BHPian

Could this be the reason why my ac is not giving any substantial cooling?
Old 4th April 2009, 16:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyoban View Post
Could this be the reason why my ac is not giving any substantial cooling?
Not realy, it has nothing to dwith the cooling, its just that the condensed water will collect in co-passenger side. Yes, it can bring up the humidity level causing little impact on "feels-like" temperature, but not actual temperature.

By the way, my old Matiz has same issue when we drove from Delhi to Jaipur. You wont believe, he amount of water was so much that it reached the back seat foot compartment but cooling was fantastic!
Old 4th April 2009, 16:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
The drain pipe must have come out of the socket resulting in the water getting spilled on the became allright.. I had experienced this in my Matiz in 2000, and it was due to the pipe coming out which when fixed
the drain pipe must have come off or may not be there at all
Old 25th February 2010, 09:30   #9
BHPian

SX4 A/C (?) Water leakage

Recently I have observed water marks in my parking lot and came to know that there is some leakage like water dripping. Mine is a 6 month old car and is it normal? Is it normal to have water dripping if you use A/C? I will be taking it to service center, thought of getting all of your opinion on what are the things to be checked. Please let me know
Old 25th February 2010, 09:43   #10
jav
BHPian

If the water is dripping when A/C is used it is normal, the water should not be dripping before a/c usage

Last edited by jav : 25th February 2010 at 09:48.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Not a big deal if the rubber pipe has slipped off. Mine had slipped off inside the car and water was leaking inside near the passenger seat. If, it is a similar problem, only outside water drippage, then it should be fixed in a jiffy by MASS people w/o keeping the car with them for a day or anything. If there is something other than what I mentioned then better get it checked thoroughly.

EDIT: This problem arises after you switch off the A/c or it autocuts.

EDIT2: More here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...evy-spark.html

Last edited by prince_pervez : 25th February 2010 at 09:49.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:46   #12
J.Ravi

The water marks on the ground implies that your car's AC is working alright. It is absolutely normal, so do not worry. It is the moisture in the air that gets condensed and comes out of the drain pipe. On the contrary, you should worry if you do not see water mark on the ground!

Old 25th February 2010, 09:46   #13
BHPian

I had a similar problem on my Esteem too. It would take them around 10 mins at the max to fix the loose hose. Get a thorough check up just to make sure the rats have not chewed on the pipes...
Old 26th February 2010, 02:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

The answer is simple and has been said by a lot of people and that is the pipe has come which needs to be put back and will solve the problem.Its a 2mins job for the *** guys.Or instead if you look under the dash the side where the water is dripping from and keep your A/c on and then just see where the water is dripping and then you can just fit it back your self into the socket.
Old 9th March 2010, 21:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Priyoban: what's the update on your problem? Was that solved or not?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks