Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 13:53   #16
BANNED

by occasionally not choosing to wear a seatbelt, the only person Im putting at risk is me. nobody has any business calling me a law-breaker when I take full responsibility for the consequences.
in the end, it boils down to pure luck whether you are going to survive a crash unscathed, slightly injured, badly injured or not at all. seatbelts cause their own share injuries by chest compression.

by the way, check the quote hangers in your post. I did not make the last two statements you quoted.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:14   #17
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post

This is even more annoying than the seatbelt warning alarm. Where the seatbelt alarm is intermittent, this alarm goes off non-stop (a) as soon as the ignition is turned to 'Lock', or (b) when any doors are opened with the key in any position in the ignition switch.
Are you sure it goes off when any of the doors are opened? I think it only goes off when the driver side door is opened.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
by the way, check the quote hangers in your post. I did not make the last two statements you quoted.
hey you are right - sorry about that. messed up with multiquote.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
by occasionally not choosing to wear a seatbelt, the only person Im putting at risk is me. nobody has any business calling me a law-breaker when I take full responsibility for the consequences.
BTW even committing suicide is an offence by the law
Old 1st April 2009, 14:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
by occasionally not choosing to wear a seatbelt, the only person Im putting at risk is me.
I don't think so.

By not wearing a seat belt you allow yourself to move out of the seat in the event of a minor collision.
Inertia. You cannot win against Physics.

Since your position is changed, its also likely that you will not be able to control the vehicle and can end up worsening the situation.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
in the end, it boils down to pure luck whether you are going to survive a crash unscathed, slightly injured, badly injured or not at all. seatbelts cause their own share injuries by chest compression.

Dont think you can sell this argument to the cops?
Old 1st April 2009, 15:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, you would be breaking the law as the law clearly says u should buckle up. Driving without seatbelt can cause you a spot fine of 100 (proposed to be increased to 500 from this year), however you like to argue.

check here, last column:
Bangalore City Traffic Police

Last edited by SkyWalker : 1st April 2009 at 15:04.
Old 1st April 2009, 15:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, hypothetically you just killed all the passengers in your car because
(1) You are probably travelling towards your rendezvous with the front windshield/steering wheel in case you are not buckled up, which in turn as bblost stated ,no chance to control the steering at all.
(2) You could tehcnically bail out of the car by opening the door and scooting out, effectively saving yourself and leaving everyone else to their own devices, inclusive of the oncoming vehicles

Always buckle up Buddy..The irritating bong just might have saved your life..
Old 1st April 2009, 15:51   #24
BANNED

to clarify: I like seatbelts. theyve saved my life. Im NOT saying "do not wear seatbelts, they suck". my car is an OHC. it does not have the bong. but I do not like to be repetitively reminded about whats good for me. Im mature enough to understand on my own.
the point Im trying to make is accept the fact that sometimes, seatbelts are overkill anda person should be allowed to say so without being presented weird counter-examples.

when you hit something [or something hits you] hard enough to throw you into the windshield, you would not have the time to work the steering, seatbelt or no seatbelt.

its funny how some people who dont even know me make laws about my wellbeing [or so they say]. just because something is law doesnt mean its absolute or infallible. it simply backed by a powerful entity who can enforce it.
how many of us follow the so called law and stick to the 'legal' speed limits on an empty highway? would you stop at a red light even if the junction was utterly deserted?

I would be inviting a lot of trouble and off topic discussion if I even began to answer the suicide example, so lets stay away from coming up with outrageous counter-arguments and just use our heads, shall we?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks