Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Getz 1.3 - Metal scraping sound from the front

Of late, I have been noticing weird sound from the front of the car.

If I hit a speed breaker/bad roads at speeds of more than 15-20 kmph, there is a sound akin to scraping of the underbody. This is a remote possibility, since the Getz has a good enough ground clearance.

The sound seems to be metallic in nature, as if two metal sheets are rubbing against each other, or as if something is loose underneath.

I am quite worried by this. Could it be a major problem? My mechanic discounted my fear though but I would still like to be sure. What should I ask him to specifically check for?

The car is Nov 2004 registered and done 34,000 kms till now. 90% city and 10% highway run. The suspension feels smooth and soft otherwise and ride is quite comfortable.
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:35   #2
BHPian

Hi Nishant,
Once my dad encountered a similar situation in his car. It was sound similar to poking in a small twig into a table fan. Was periodic and increased with wheel speed. First I doubted if it was from the mud flat rubbing the tyres. But it was not so. On removing the wheel it was found that the mus cover plate for the front disc brake was a little bent and it was touching the rim from inside. Just hammered it a bit and the sound was gone.
Just sharing a piece of my experience, could a possibility too.
Old 3rd April 2009, 04:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think your engine is about to fall through the bonnet Nishant. Better sell this and get a new car soon.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:45   #4
BANNED

Hi !
I think you should get the chassis welding checked as when you brake , hit a bump , go over speedbreaker the the chassis is twisting.So i would just suggest get all the seam welding , joints checked
Regards
Old 4th April 2009, 10:59   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

1. Your suspension is sagging and it is, indeed, the underbody scraping against speedbreakers

2. Your tyre is rubbing against a loose wheel arch cover / mudflap
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Your suspension is sagging and it is, indeed, the underbody scraping against speedbreakers

2. Your tyre is rubbing against a loose wheel arch cover / mudflap
I dont think tyre scraping is an issue.

Will have to get the sagging suspension issue checked, now that you have introduced that point. I didnt even know such a thing could happen!

What are the causes for it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks