Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 13:50   #1
BHPian

Sticky Dashboard on Getz

My Getz (2006 model) dashboard is feeling kind of sticky and squeaky lately. The plastic material on the dash, even though it is visually similar to the material on the door trims etc, the feel is completely different.It's like the entire piece is a little soft and sticky and scratches easily. Even the portions of the dash which is not exposed to the sun, have the same feel. And anyways I dont park in the sun. At home it's always in the car-shed and at office we have basement car-parking, so it's never in the sun, so I'm pretty sure it's not due to overheating.

I checked with our local hyundai service center. When I told him the problem, he said Getz dash is made of a kind of soft material and that service center guys always have a tough time cleaning it. I checked another Getz which was there are at the service center, but that was the facelifted model (with the beige interior), and it's dash was made of a totally different material and it didnt feel soft or sticky at all.

I dont think Hyundai would make such a kind of sticky dash. I believe it should be a defective piece. Any other Getz owners facing this issue? It's not like the dash is very sticky or anything, but it's irritating. If it's any consolation, the one good thing about it is that whatever is put on dash, stays on the dash.

Sad part is that the car is out of warranty, so even if it's a defective piece, I may not be able to get a replacement :(
I tried some wax polish on the dash (the usual formula-1 stuff), but doesnt seem to help. Tried washing with water and soap, but it's not helping. After the wash, it seems more sticky. Any idea what can be done?
Old 4th April 2009, 15:57   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBarber View Post
My Getz (2006 model) dashboard is feeling kind of sticky and squeaky lately.
---------------
After the wash, it seems more sticky. Any idea what can be done?
Did you ever applied any Plastic/Dash shiner recently. I had a similar situation in my M800 when the service guy applied some liquid (may be wax and diesel mixture) on my dash. For few days it was glossy, but a week later, it became sticky attracting all the dust onto it. It felt like the material had dissolved the plastic with it eating it slowly. It troubled me for another week or so but then became dull and matty as it was before.
Old 4th April 2009, 18:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidsnail View Post
Did you ever applied any Plastic/Dash shiner recently. I had a similar situation in my M800 when the service guy applied some liquid (may be wax and diesel mixture) on my dash. For few days it was glossy, but a week later, it became sticky attracting all the dust onto it. It felt like the material had dissolved the plastic with it eating it slowly. It troubled me for another week or so but then became dull and matty as it was before.
No...never applied any polish/liquid ever. Dont know if service center guys used anything on the dash, but surely I didnt.

BTW I dont think it is due to anything applied on the dash. Reason I'm saying this, is that the whole piece of plastic, even the portions of the dash which are on the sides and inside the parcel tray, all have this stickiness to them, so I'm sure it's not the sun, or any liquid/shiner applied that caused the issue.

Unless somebody painstakingly applied something to every nook and corner of the piece (which is highly unlikely). I think it's defective plastic used in the dash.
Old 4th April 2009, 21:26   #4
BHPian

paul your dashboard is fine. that is skidfree plastic that prevents things kept on the dash from sliping during your drive. its a nice feature if you ask me. even my indigo had the same kind of dash.

for cleaning it, use a wet towel. not dripping wet. just wipe it and that will be all. or spray some colin and wipe it.
Old 4th April 2009, 22:41   #5
BHPian

hmm...I'm not so convinced actually. Skid free is one thing, but sticky is quite another. And it scratches quite easily, I can scratch the surface with my fingernail.

Also one more thing I noticed. Stickiness seems to increase with temperature. Maybe that's why I started noticing it more now (summer).

Yeah I clean it with a damp towel. However the dash is a lint/dust magnet. It collects the lint and I have to dust it off once it's dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
paul your dashboard is fine. that is skidfree plastic that prevents things kept on the dash from sliping during your drive. its a nice feature if you ask me. even my indigo had the same kind of dash.

for cleaning it, use a wet towel. not dripping wet. just wipe it and that will be all. or spray some colin and wipe it.
Old 4th April 2009, 23:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

the getz does have soft feel plastic on the dash. call it sticky if you want.
Old 4th April 2009, 23:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the getz does have soft feel plastic on the dash. call it sticky if you want.
Ok then maybe it's just that
Old 4th April 2009, 23:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

some service centers ( think a friend complained of the same issue when he gave his wagon R to popular for servicing once) use some greasy stuff to make the dash look new and shiny.it makes the surfaces feel very sticky
Old 5th April 2009, 13:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

I hate these dash board shiners for the same reason, i tell the service guys specifically NOT to use any products. Just a wipe every weekend is all that it needs to keep it looking good.
Old 26th March 2010, 17:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai appears to be doing a fix for this. A friend of mine had the sticky dash of his 2005 getz fixed last week. he was informed that hyundai was doing this as a service for all older getz's. The advisor said that the top surface was cleaned off using some solvent
The bill said 650, and it was done as a free service.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:27   #11

thats actually a problem with the 2005 getz plastics. i sold mine. but he person who bought it complained of exactly the same problem as you paul. i saw the surface. it was shiny & felt wet & was ticking to everything. this is a getz plastic issue. hopefully the service center sorted your problem as a fellow bhpian mentioned
Old 18th August 2010, 22:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Try wiping with some strong soap(pril) and water solution
Old 25th January 2011, 21:00   #13
BHPian

Re: Sticky Dashboard on Getz

Understand that this is a old thread but for the benefit of people experiencing a sticky dashboard with their Getz, would like to share my experience.

Bought my Getz GLS in July 2006 and around March 2010, the dashboard became sticky and it was getting worse. Tried a few things mentioned in this thread and did not work. The SA at Kun Hyundai mentioned that this problem is seen in many Getz and could not do much about it and asked to me consult someone in GP road.

Fortunately, a new car accessories shop opened near my place (Motozone- Sembakkam, Chennai). They along with Bhagavathi Autoworks (My TVS at Medavakkam) suggested leather painting of the dashboard as a potential solution. I decided to try it but after providing the car, Vijay (GM @ Bhagavathi) came up with a different solution. He mentioned that the dashboard could be painted with a primer that is used in the car before it is sent to the showroom. Went ahead and it worked. The dashboard got restored to the original shape and the problem vanished. Total Cost: 1500k and took three/four days.
Old 26th June 2015, 01:21   #14
BANNED

Re: Sticky Dashboard on Getz

I have two queries or should i say i need help.

A) I own a hyundai getz gle 2007 model. it was running very fine with 49K on the Odo. But recently a problem occurred, while coming down the hill suddenly i lost the brakes. The brakes were not working for almost 4 km and i managed it with the smaller gears.

Somehow i managed to take the vehicle to ASS. They said the the ISA (Idle Speed Actuator) is ruptured. The ASS is asking 12K for the replacement and not sure about the time he will take as the part is no more manufactured here in India.

My question is:
1. is the price quoted genuine?
2. Can i get this part in the local market. If yes please suggest me the address (anywhere in India + phone no)

B) With the age the Center Dashboard has also broken for the getz. I also want to replace the dashboard fascia for Getz GLE. Any local dealer for the same if can be suggested.

Any body have any idea for the same

@Mods please put this in correct thread, was not able to find the appropriate one for the query

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th June 2015 at 08:07. Reason: Typo corrected

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks