Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 18:45   #1

Rear Pads Worn Out Faster Than Front Pads! How is this possible?

On a recent service visit, I was told that my rear brakes had less than 15% life, while the front brakes were fine. Since this seemed very unusual, I asked to see the brake pads, and the rear pads were indeed worn, while the front pads were fine. (I did have the worn pads replaced immediately.)

Given that this is on a car with a lot of power to the rear wheels, it still seems unusual to me. Do you all think this is likely, or should I be looking at other issues that may have led to his? Thanks for your input.
Old 10th April 2009, 21:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which car are you talking about and how many kms it has run? Driving style also matters a lot to the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
On a recent service visit, I was told that my rear brakes had less than 15% life, while the front brakes were fine. Since this seemed very unusual, I asked to see the brake pads, and the rear pads were indeed worn, while the front pads were fine. (I did have the worn pads replaced immediately.)

Given that this is on a car with a lot of power to the rear wheels, it still seems unusual to me. Do you all think this is likely, or should I be looking at other issues that may have led to his? Thanks for your input.
Old 11th April 2009, 00:14   #3

Driving style would definitely impact brake wear, but shouldn't the front invariably wear faster than the rear? The vehicle is an Infiniti G.
Old 11th April 2009, 01:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Do you use the handbrake for anything other than parking?
Like for halting from slow speeds at a traffic signal?
Is there a possibility that you/someone forgot to take off the handbrake and drove with it engaged?
Old 11th April 2009, 11:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Since both, front & rear in your car are ventilated discs with ABS, while braking the pressure is appiled uniformly and equally on all the four wheels. So the question of the front wearing earlier/faster than the rear doesn't arise.

Yes the fact that the rear brake disc pads are much thinner than the front, could be factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Driving style would definitely impact brake wear, but shouldn't the front invariably wear faster than the rear? The vehicle is an Infiniti G.

Last edited by gd1418 : 11th April 2009 at 11:40.
Old 12th April 2009, 22:13   #6

Thanks much for the response - I never thought about the thickness of the pads - that very well could explain it.

I was also thinking about checking for possible issues with the EBD systems applying uneven pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Since both, front & rear in your car are ventilated discs with ABS, while braking the pressure is appiled uniformly and equally on all the four wheels. So the question of the front wearing earlier/faster than the rear doesn't arise.

Yes the fact that the rear brake disc pads are much thinner than the front, could be factor...
The parking brake is only used while the car is stationary or parked. There are very audible warnings if the car is moved with the parking brake engaged - but that is a very valid point - I will check with the other driver(s) of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Do you use the handbrake for anything other than parking?
Like for halting from slow speeds at a traffic signal?
Is there a possibility that you/someone forgot to take off the handbrake and drove with it engaged?

Last edited by Samurai : 13th April 2009 at 06:50. Reason: use multi-quote feature of vBulletin, don't create multiple posts
Old 14th April 2009, 11:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Tripod,

Do mention how many km(or miles in this case) your car has run.

Is it possible that only the front pads were replaced at an earlier service - which has led to the current situation?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th April 2009 at 12:01.
Old 19th April 2009, 23:41   #8

The car has about 18,000 miles on the odo - it does run triple digit speeds a lot with some heavy braking.

The front pads have never been replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Tripod,

Do mention how many km(or miles in this case) your car has run.

Is it possible that only the front pads were replaced at an earlier service - which has led to the current situation?

cya
R
Old 20th April 2009, 12:43   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Surely a peculiar situation:

1. Could be that Infinity has the brake distribution set up such that the rear brakes are working harder (prevent weight transfer) etc.?

2. Did you ever drive with the parking brake on? Or that it was stuck?

2. Inferior quality rear pads (relative to the front)? Or thinner?
Old 20th April 2009, 13:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Does being a RWD car have anything to do with it?
Old 21st April 2009, 00:50   #11

That was my first thought - the EBD systems had something to do with it.
The parking brake is never engaged until the car is stationary. The rear discs are smaller than the front - and I suspect that the pads could be thinner, which will explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Surely a peculiar situation:

1. Could be that Infinity has the brake distribution set up such that the rear brakes are working harder (prevent weight transfer) etc.?

2. Did you ever drive with the parking brake on? Or that it was stuck?

2. Inferior quality rear pads (relative to the front)? Or thinner?
Old 21st April 2009, 10:48   #12
BHPian

Even i have this doubt, This is common in my elantra, but not sure why?
Old 29th April 2009, 15:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Even i have this doubt, This is common in my elantra, but not sure why?
Same stuff happened in my Elantra CRDI. Backpads got wornout around 10K Kms before front ones. Are we assuming front should get worn out first since the weight is more in front? I am thinking both should happen more or less the same time
Old 29th April 2009, 22:16   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Does being a RWD car have anything to do with it?
My C220 is RWD and has pretty much the same equipment (ESP, EBD, all discs etc.). Still, the front pads wear out at about twice the rate as the rears. In fact, I remember changing my front pads at about 30K, but don't think I have touched the rears yet.

Most Viewed