Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 19:29   #1
BHPian

Accord Windshield broken !

Today some kids moving around the roads were hitting a bird with stones which instead hit my Accord's windscreen hard and cracks showed up

I took the car to windshield who replaced it in 2 hours with a new one but somehow, i feel the job they did and the screen they put is sub par. To begin with, when they were removing the broken glass, there were some metal pieces (rectangle ones & small in size) which were in place along with the adhesive pasting. They simply removed it and said its not needed when installing the new Screen . Wondering if Honda would put such parts for no reason ? 2ndly, the glass they put is of some ASAHI company which otherwise seems a known name but , the original glass was not from this company and, i do feel a little difference in the view with this new glass.

Anyone has has this issue before when changing the glasses ? Please do tell me if there are ways to check the quality of work they've done from a layman's point of view.
Old 10th April 2009, 21:12   #2
BHPian

Honda does not allow it's OEM glass to be sold outside of the dealerships. I have already confirmed this. ASAHI is a very good choice. The quality is really good. Have had good experience with the glass as i had mine replaced too.

You should have gone to "Windshield Experts". They have a branch in Delhi. Google it.
Old 10th April 2009, 21:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Any new windshield will 'feel' different for a few days.
Is there any problem - distortion, blurring, excessive smudging, glare or halos.
Or is it that it just feels different.
Ask someone else to drive the car and see if they notice anything abnormal.
Drive at night and recheck.
Do you get any noise - wind sounds or rattles?
About the little metal pieces - other Accord owners may be able to help. You can casually ask the Honda dealership / service center if they are aware of such a thing attached to the windshield.
Old 10th April 2009, 21:48   #4
BHPian

m presuming you went to Windshield Experts and i believe they know their job and use quality products. dont worry about their workmanship.
check if you have wind noise when driving at above average speeds. no noise means a nicely fit windshield.
Old 10th April 2009, 22:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Windshield experts as far as i know have a branch near the Patel Nagar Metro station.

Call up Just Dial , they might help.
Old 10th April 2009, 22:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
when they were removing the broken glass, there were some metal pieces (rectangle ones & small in size) which were in place along with the adhesive pasting. They simply removed it and said its not needed when installing the new Screen . Wondering if Honda would put such parts for no reason ?

2ndly, the glass they put is of some ASAHI company which otherwise seems a known name
Those little metal tabs are placed there to allow a robot to perfectly align and paste the windscreen in the factory. When humans do it, those tabs are not required any more.

Asahi is the biggest manufacturer of auto glasses, and they've been around a long time. Windshield Experts is just the direct customer service interface of Asahi India, and I've found their glasses as well as their quality of service is comparable to the best internationally. In fact, they cost a little cheaper than manufacturers' own imported glasses, and they do a far better fitment than the dealers can.

Hope that clears your doubts...
Old 10th April 2009, 23:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Asahi is the biggest manufacturer of auto glasses, and they've been around a long time. Windshield Experts is just the direct customer service interface of Asahi India.
It may not be true for i have a fact to share. While i was sitting @ the Windshieldexperts shop, their mirror consignment arrived and it was from a glass dealer from Kashmiri Gate . If what you said above is true, how would you explain this ?
Old 11th April 2009, 07:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Civic's stock glasses are all ASAHI. Who knows, maybe your stock factory glass was an ASAHI.

As for where it arrived from, obviously a wholesale dealer of some sort.
Old 11th April 2009, 09:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The Civic's stock glasses are all ASAHI. Who knows, maybe your stock factory glass was an ASAHI.
Isn't he talking about Accord? In that case it may be OE fitment from Japan.
Old 11th April 2009, 09:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Aren't Accords assembled here in India? Honda claims more than 70% localization for all its vehicles - doesn't make sense to import fragile stuff like glass.
Old 11th April 2009, 18:33   #11
BANNED

Some windshields come with coatings . For example the Ford Mondeo windshield has a coating which it easier to drive the car in the night . The glaring of headlights lights are cut off and visibility is very clear .

I got a windshield replaced at windshield experts and I could see the difference . It was like day and night .

Asahi may not be the OEM in many cars ,for example in the higher end cars I have seen saint gobain glasses .
Old 11th April 2009, 18:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
It may not be true for i have a fact to share. While i was sitting @ the Windshieldexperts shop, their mirror consignment arrived and it was from a glass dealer from Kashmiri Gate . If what you said above is true, how would you explain this ?
Beats me... What would WE want with mirrors either? And these mirrors were of what make? Asahi? Is the glass dealer at Kashmere Gate an exclusive Asahi distributor? You should've asked...
Old 11th April 2009, 18:46   #13
BHPian

The original honda glass had something about Honda Cars written @ corner and definitely was better than the Asahi one. Yes it could be what greatmana2000 just said that the original glass may have had some coating which made driving better. Because i drive mostly with a driver, i asked him all day today if he felt any different, he has'nt noticed any in day light but will update here once i have some more night time driving done .
Old 11th April 2009, 19:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Some windshields come with coatings . For example the Ford Mondeo windshield has a coating which it easier to drive the car in the night . The glaring of headlights lights are cut off and visibility is very clear .

I got a windshield replaced at windshield experts and I could see the difference . It was like day and night .

Asahi may not be the OEM in many cars ,for example in the higher end cars I have seen saint gobain glasses .
OT here but you've replaced the windshield in your mondeo? Doesnt it have a defroster? What about that?
Old 11th April 2009, 20:11   #15
BHPian

I'm really curious to know the cost borne by you with this replacement, and do insurance agencies recognize these third parties?

@ Quickdraw - the front windshield defogger works using air vents that focus cooler air on the windshield glass, so changing the glass shouldn't have any effect on that system.

Last edited by DocG : 11th April 2009 at 20:13.

Most Viewed