Indigo --battery light which stays on when start and RPM meter is dead

Hi

I have an issue with Tata Indigo 3.3 yrs old

The problem is about battery light which stays
on when start and RPM meter is dead. On slight
acceleration the RPM meter comes to life and battery light is
gone.'

I was having the problem of overcharging that is rectified by Lucas Guys by
changed the regulator and Oil seal. but they were even unable to rectify this problem .

TASC guys saying it requires alternator servicing but as that is done at Lucas so no solution.

Also I see some chik chik noise with window rolled down in the right hand side which became fast with the speed

Anyone faced the same issue pls throw light on this

Regds,
Virender
Old 12th April 2009, 11:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virender View Post
Hi

gone.'

changed the regulator and Oil seal. but they were even unable to rectify this problem .

TASC guys saying it requires alternator servicing but as that is done at Lucas so no solution.

Also I see some chik chik noise with window rolled down in the right hand side which became fast with the speed

Regds,
Virender
Three things to check:

a) Check for any short circuits and/or loose connectors/wires in the dashboard area.

b) Especially check the battery terminals for corrosion. Clean them using a toothbrush and water + baking soda solution if possible. But remember to clean it off and dont let the solution get inside the battery. Then tighten the terminals. You may also want to check the alternator output voltage whilst you are at it.

c) Check the fan belt it may be slipping. Not sure how it is with the Indigo specific, but a single belt runs the water pump, AC and alternator in my car.

Unless you are an above average or expert do-it-yourselfer this is best done by a competent technician.

Rgds,
Old 12th April 2009, 12:10   #3
BANNED

The alternator fan belt might be the culprit , but if that is fine , then the alternator has to be serviced . Try checking with the lucas service centre again . or a different service centre . There are a lot of fake regulators of lucas make and variety .
Old 12th April 2009, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Loose fan belt. Get it tightened.

Quote:
Hi

gone.'

Regds,
Virender
Old 12th April 2009, 12:33   #5
BHPian

Its the alternator belt for sure.
Old 12th April 2009, 13:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
The alternator fan belt might be the culprit , but if that is fine , then the alternator has to be serviced . Try checking with the lucas service centre again . or a different service centre . There are a lot of fake regulators of lucas make and variety .
Thnaks for the replies

Alternator belt seems to be culprit then

Will get it check

Greatmana2000 : I get the regulator changes at the service center owned by Lucas not be dealer so the chances of fake regulator is not much and even then i get it changed due to other problem related to overcharging which in turn increasing the RPM from normal 950 to 1050 around even without switching on the AC.
Old 12th April 2009, 22:52   #7

RPM indicator problem-Indica/Indigo

Quote:
Hi

gone.'

Regds,
Virender
I too have the problem of Battery lamp-on and RPM indicator does not come on till the accelerator is slightly pressed. I guess it may not have any thing to do with alternator servicing or the regulator functioning. The meter being electronic, looks that some switch does not close till the engine/alternator is revvedup. Now a days the auto makers do not provide even the wiring diagram in the owners manual. HM was once selling the w/s manual for Amby at one time. You may better live with it till some thing more serious happens.
Old 13th April 2009, 10:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasankaram View Post
I too have the problem of Battery lamp-on and RPM indicator does not come on till the accelerator is slightly pressed. I guess it may not have any thing to do with alternator servicing or the regulator functioning. The meter being electronic, looks that some switch does not close till the engine/alternator is revvedup. Now a days the auto makers do not provide even the wiring diagram in the owners manual. HM was once selling the w/s manual for Amby at one time. You may better live with it till some thing more serious happens.
Right Shiva

Lucas Guys was not having any answer to this problem . They were assuming the wiring as culprit. Yes it does not harm till the battery light disappear with pushing of accelerator but if even RPM remain dead for 15-20 mins then it is a problem as told by TASC guys even though they seems good only for oil and filter changes as least at Sterling Automobile Noida
Old 15th July 2012, 11:37   #9
BHPian

Re: Indigo --battery light which stays on when start and RPM meter is dead

Hey guys,

I have the exact same problem with my Tata Indigo(5 years old). The problem persists since the last 2 months or so. I took it to the Adiga Bosch Service( t Bnshankari, Bangalore)center to get it checked during the service. The alternator voltage seemed to be fine and the battery too. The service guys assumed the problem to be with the alternator. They replaced the alternator but the RPM meter is still intermittently dead and the Battery light illuminates while the car runs.

I dont know if the alternator belt was changed. I shall get it checked. Do suggest me something else could be wrong.

Thanks!
Old 15th July 2012, 11:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor3624 View Post
The service guys assumed the problem to be with the alternator. They replaced the alternator but the RPM meter is still intermittently dead and the Battery light illuminates while the car runs.

I dont know if the alternator belt was changed. I shall get it checked. Do suggest me something else could be wrong.

Thanks!
I don't believe the problem has been with the alternator but with the dashboard instrument panel. If it was the alternator your battery would have run flat in a matter of 1-2 days.

Modern instrument panels are integrated i.e. speedometer, tachometer (if applicable). fuel/temp gauges and tell-tale lights are all included in one unit and electronically controlled.

Please check the rear of the panel for loose connections and frayed wiring. You will need to have the instrument panel removed for further diagnosis. Take it to a known electrician as there are pretty thin and delicate wires leading to and from the panel. He must not cut into the OEM wiring loom.
Old 17th July 2012, 08:45   #11
BHPian

I am not at all happy with Adiga Bosch service in Bangalore. Any one can suggest a reliable mechanic for these things?
Old 17th July 2012, 11:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Even I'm facing similar trouble. This thing appears off-n-on in my Indigo LS TDi. Help Please..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks