Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 21:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help!busted something in the electricals: what to replace?

I was playing around with the bulb in the rear hatchback area when I accidentally shorted it out and the bulb no longer lights up. now that I checked with my voltmeter, there is no voltage present there. the bulb there lights up based on a sensor switch on the rear hatch door. Will changing this sensor/switch fix it , or will i have to change more stuff? everything else seems to be working fine.

Help!
Old 15th April 2009, 22:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I was playing around with the bulb in the rear hatchback area when I accidentally shorted it out and the bulb no longer lights up. now that I checked with my voltmeter, there is no voltage present there. the bulb there lights up based on a sensor switch on the rear hatch door. Will changing this sensor/switch fix it , or will i have to change more stuff? everything else seems to be working fine.

Help!
Check the fuse for that particular circuit. Refer to your owners manual for instructions on where to find the fuse. If the fuse is ok you may have blown the switch but that is very unlikely unless you were doing something drastic.

Rgds,
Old 15th April 2009, 22:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

greenhorn you have successfully blown the interior cabin light fuse. Find the fuse box and replace it with the spare fuse in the box.
Old 15th April 2009, 22:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys. the fact that a fuse might have blown did not dawn on me. Will have to do the detective work for the fuse in the morning , with better light.I think if I'd been a bit more patient and waited to finish my LED upgrade in the daytime tomorrow, I might not have had this problem in the first place

Last edited by greenhorn : 15th April 2009 at 22:46.
Old 15th April 2009, 23:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

yup, seems to be the fuse. as per one of trrk's links at TIUG,
05. Roof + Engine + Load Area Lamp - 5A
share a fuse, and sure enough, the roof light is also dead. Its just the thought of opening up the indica fusebox which I'm dreading. It aint easy!
Old 16th April 2009, 01:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. Its just the thought of opening up the indica fusebox which I'm dreading. It aint easy!
I think there is the fuse wiring circuit sticker on the cover of fusebox.
next time play with front lights.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

the fusebox is one tough cookie. I've given up trying to open it after removing a few dash panels and acrobatics with a flashlight and a screwdriver. will get it changed by some workshop and see what all has to be removed
Old 16th April 2009, 11:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

^it is not workshop ,we in central kerala goes to fix electrical problems.there is seperate shops called "auto electricals" .
Old 16th April 2009, 19:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Good to know that a link of mine helped

Quote:
the fusebox is one tough cookie. I've given up trying to open it after removing a few dash panels and acrobatics with a flashlight and a screwdriver. will get it changed by some workshop and see what all has to be removed
Help is at hand, hopefully.

Yahoo! Groups

Go through the quoted earlier mails also.

Even a non DIY person like me did it successfully even before this procedure was given. The hindrance in my case was to get my girth do all the contortions!

Best of luck. You don't have to remove any panels except the fuse cover.

Last edited by trrk : 16th April 2009 at 19:43.
Old 18th April 2009, 14:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

mounted a second attack on the fusebox, no luck, went to a local garage, they too gave up. Finally took it to the TASC which () did it for free, and billed me only for a spare fuse which I asked for as a replacement.

I think they are onto me. I had just gone there and the lady at the reception says the customer <my reg no> is here. Note that I had gone to this particular TASC only once before , and this time I had parked my car elsewhere , so I have no idea how they know it was me off hand.And while I was waiting another mechanic who came to pick up the car ( they thought that it was there for routine service) - I told them nah, it was just a blown fuse, fixed , and all is working as expected now - asked me if i was sure , and said that there might be a bigger issue somewhere in the electricals. I said nah, I was a klutz and poked a screwdriver in there to kill a bug and ended up overdoing it.

First time I'm actually happy after a trip there. Things do seem to be looking up for the TASC on the bypass. And i know nothing CAN go wrong from what they did , because i was looking at them the whole time. if anything goes wrong, its gonna be because of the LED load area light I've just put in ( hope nothing goes wrong)!
Old 18th April 2009, 16:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Jesus greenhorn!

I dont know whether to be terribly dissapointed in you or the indica!!!

I must take a look at this notorious indica fusebox and make a decision....

Did you see how the TASC guys did it? Was it jammed? Something that was being overlooked? etc?

cya
R
Old 18th April 2009, 16:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

it took some amount of force to remove it, and the TASC mech was confident because if he messed it up, he could get it replaced under warranty. Neither I nor the local workshop guy had that luxury.

Eventually when he removed it, there was a deep gash in the middle, it looked like it was made by a bolt or a screw or some metal object which was jutting into the cover and preventing it from being removed. the procedure was exactly as how trrk and the posts from TIUG had described it - Its a flimsy plastic cover. One had to release two clips on the sides and then pull it down. but the force required was a lot more , enough to dislodge the relays and other fuses.

I certainly doubt if I will be able to do it , even after watching the guy do it, much less in an emergency situation.
Old 18th April 2009, 17:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
the procedure was exactly as how trrk and the posts from TIUG had described it - Its a flimsy plastic cover. One had to release two clips on the sides and then pull it down. but the force required was a lot more , enough to dislodge the relays and other fuses.
Did not want to actually scare you. That cover invariably manages to dislodge the relays (I doubt it can pull out the fuses, though!). The only one time that I did was to post the locations and functions of the fuses and relays in TIUG. One relay was in the fuse cover when it came out. I managed to put the relay and the cover back myself.

I don't remember losing a fuse, yet!

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 55022 (56246) kms, 13.99 kpl, 45km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 31254 kms, 13.25 kpl, 55km/day)
Old 18th April 2009, 17:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

the way i was making progress, i thought I might pull down the entire fuse box, let alone the fuses. So I decided not to risk it and get it done by a professional. however my dad is of the opinion that a fusebox should be easily acessible, and not require one to be an acrobat. however, I recall the fusebox in srijit's baleno to be in a very, very inacessible location, with the MASS mech having to remove 3~4 pieces of the dashboard and lying upside down to acess it.

I have not observed the location/acessiblity of fuseboxes of other cars. so can't comment.
Old 18th April 2009, 19:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
So I decided not to risk it and get it done by a professional. however my dad is of the opinion that a fusebox should be easily acessible, and not require one to be an acrobat.
Good, you took it to the TASC.

Your dad is indeed correct. I will excuse the location in the Indica and its cousins as they can be accessed if needed without touching any other panels.

Normally, there should not be any reason for opening the fuse box!

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 55022 (56246) kms, 13.99 kpl, 45km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 31254 kms, 13.25 kpl, 55km/day)

Most Viewed