Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 12:34   #1
BHPian

Swift : My experience with Engine Knock

It was some time in Dec'08, on my usual way to office, on a trip to Waynad started to notice new interference to music from ICE and rattling in my rattle snake (my Swift) in the form of a strange metallic sound, around 2000 rpm. Most of the time it was normal petrol from shell. Since it was not much of concern, nor affecting my car performance (atleast noticeably), decide to ignore until 40K service.

By April, metallic sound was getting increasingly noted and also drop in pickup and with car was due for 40k service. By this time with the help of team-bhp, I was able to zero on engine knocking as the reason for metallic sound.

One day in last week of March, took the car to Modavi Motors for 40K service, along with Clutch adjustment, complaint on metallic sound was also registered, and cautiously I didn't mention it as knocking. The service advisor in pre-service drive was able to notice this and re-tagged it as Knocking, thus confirming my understanding. Back from service, with all fluids, filters, spark plug replaced, de carbonization done and Guarantee that the issues with clutch and the knocking has been addressed, at a cost of Rs.5500/-.

Now, the twist, though clutch judder was reduced (not eliminated), knocking was much more audible and easily make out loss of power at various RPMs, basically it worsened. Based on service advisors advice, did some experimenting with couple full tank changes of the petrol(BP from cauvery, opposite to Lalbhag west gate), to rule out the fuel issue. Though it reduced knocking but still it was bad.

Last week car was back at Mandovi, once again the same promise/assurance that they will fix by evening, thankfully they acknowledge the issue. By evening the car was returned with sparking clean, clutch judder completely gone, no cost to me and with assurance that they have scanned the ECU for timing and their were issues with timing and they have corrected it.

On the road, for next two days, with engine/clutch Judder completely fixed, engine knock started to hunt me and my car. It is not gone and I had no confidence that *** can fix it, without me making big noise, which at this time I was not willing.

Now back to team-bhp on Saturday night, until dawn went through good number of article on ECU, ECU resetting, timing, engine knock and what not. By Sunday morning, I was clear what to do as first step. It was ECU reset, simply followed the steps described in this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...resetting.html

After ECU reset (confirmed by reset on trip meter and ICE), car was back on road but still I can hear the knocking for 25 kms ride on Sunday, with my eyes burning (no sleep on Saturday night) . However, on Monday on the way to office, the knocking was gone. After that I have driven more that 100 KMs with 2-3 adults, I am yet to hear the knocking. Hopefully it is gone forever and as a bonus I can see my pickup is also back to normal or better than what I use to feel/get.

Thanks to everyone, who have contributed to all the threads which I went through on Saturday night. Happy to be back behind the steering without knock and delight to be part of team-bhp. Thank You.

regards,
-manju

Last edited by manjubp : 16th April 2009 at 12:40.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:14   #2
BHPian

some where along the way you put in better quality of fuel ( read unadulterated by the filling station) which has caused the last bit of knocking to go away. Done be surprised if it comes back though , albeit suddenly out of nowhere. If all is well and knocking is there , bad fuel is the most common reason. So enjoy yourself , ride safe but be aware of this. Keeps happening to us all . :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
It was some time in Dec'08, on my usual way to office, on a trip to Waynad started to notice new interference to music from ICE and rattling in my rattle snake (my Swift) in the form of a strange metallic sound, around 2000 rpm.
================================
Thanks to everyone, who have contributed to all the threads which I went through on Saturday night. Happy to be back behind the steering without knock and delight to be part of team-bhp. Thank You.

regards,
-manju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks