Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2005, 11:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suspension blues

I had been to Harihareshwar (in the Konkan) this weekend. During the trip I had taken my car (Petra 1.6 EL) through some really tough terrain. I had heard some bad sounds while driving back - though in city the car the is smooth - and would like to do a cursory check on the cars suspension before giving it to the workshop for a more thorough job. Does any one here know what should be looked out for / done during a preliminary check?

I do not have access to a ramp and so I have to actually crawl under the car. There is a plastic stone guard and this has a place where it has been scored a little. Apart from that I can see no damage.

Suggestions are welcome.
Old 23rd May 2005, 16:32   #2
BHPian

Are you able to locate the noise?.. My Siena has been making a noise at RF wheel over bumps/potholes due to a loosened sleeve on the shock absorber.. Nothing to worry about, as per Sundaram.. Just needs to be replaced when they get the spare.. now THAT worries me ;-)
Old 24th May 2005, 08:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Are you able to locate the noise?.. My Siena has been making a noise at RF wheel over bumps/potholes due to a loosened sleeve on the shock absorber.. Nothing to worry about, as per Sundaram.. Just needs to be replaced when they get the spare.. now THAT worries me ;-)
Kind of no. As I said, the noise is zero when in city. There is a bit of brake squeal. That I think wil be corrected when I get a wheel alignement done. I was hearing awful noises when I was over the really bad stretches of road. Ever time I went over a bad bump or a stone hit the undercarriage my heart would miss a beat.

When they get the spare? What do they mean??? Have you tried Bosch service if it exists in your place?
Old 25th May 2005, 16:35   #4
BHPian

typeO....I did this trip to H'hareshwar too and I know the roads are a menace..
My car started groaning a bit on the way home and the parcel shelf was thudding about ..
After another long drive (to Goa ) the car made lotsa noises in the city when going over bumps and I was bit worried abt the suspension trouble so early in its life....(altho it did get a hammering on those roads) but funnily as the days have gone by most of those noises have gone away!

Its better to get it checked though and I will do mine at my service soon..
Old 25th May 2005, 16:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ajay. Will let post the developments once the service is done. Plan to get a general checkup and pick up some tips from the floor manager.
Old 25th May 2005, 18:26   #6
BANNED

my palio when I bought in Dec 2001, started making some thud sound while on little bumpy rounds from the rear. I checked it with TVS Cochin, & they put a rubbber sleeve (sort of rubber hose) to the rear coil springs. That sound was gone..it was just a matter of 30 minutes job..as they were used to this type of compaints from the initial Palios.

Till now no such sound from suspension side...front or rear
Old 26th June 2005, 17:57   #7
BHPian

santro suspension

Recently my santro developed some suspension problems. Yet to fix it. The steering feels heavey and while turnig at slow speeds it feels like the wheel has fallen into some pit and doesnt come out.
Also the ride is not smooth. I checked with the service yesterday they say the front struts have to be replaced.

Jut got my vechicle serviced 2 weeks back. wonder how they didnt diagnose this or deliberately missed it.

Whatever the maintenance cost of late is going high for my santro :-(
it has done 40k.
Old 28th June 2005, 12:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by readonly
Recently my santro developed some suspension problems. Yet to fix it. The steering feels heavey and while turnig at slow speeds it feels like the wheel has fallen into some pit and doesnt come out.
Also the ride is not smooth. I checked with the service yesterday they say the front struts have to be replaced.

Jut got my vechicle serviced 2 weeks back. wonder how they didnt diagnose this or deliberately missed it.

Whatever the maintenance cost of late is going high for my santro :-(
it has done 40k.
finally it was assesed as some problem with the steering dampener and not of teh front struts. zero cost. strange! I think i need to know more about components...
Old 29th June 2005, 12:29   #9
BHPian

Siena suspension noise

Since yesterday my Siena front left suspension has started making a big noise like a stone hitting the underbody at some speed.. this happens at slow speeds over bumps /ditches and sounds really bad.. cant see anything behind the wheel.. am worried that this could be something really bad..

any experience of Siena/Petra/Palio owners here?
Old 29th June 2005, 12:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
any experience of Siena/Petra/Palio owners here?
I used to get this sound over very bad roads. It has disappeared. I think the suspension is a bit soft.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks