Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 11:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Remotely shut down your car!

This is an interesting safety device for cars. It is already in market and selling in international market. It is most suitable for Indian car owners particularly Scorpios owners.

Quote:
How's this for an interesting piece of convergence technology? It is never a pleasant experience when you return from a nice dinner to find that your car is missing. Presumably, one of two things happened. First, your car may have been towed and now you could be footing quite the big bill. Second, your car may have been stolen.

While it may not help with the first situation, this solution from some University of Saskatchewan engineering students could certainly help with the latter. If your car happens to get stolen, you can send a text message to a certain number and it remotely shut off your car, no matter where it is. This way, the thief will get stranded on the side of the road and you can more easily recover your prized Chevy Aveo.
Full article at this Source

Last edited by anujmishra : 21st April 2009 at 11:25.
Old 21st April 2009, 11:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Anju, similar systems are available in India at affordable prices.
Here's one: Welcome to Amsaki.com
Old 21st April 2009, 11:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Even xenos has got it. Costs a whopping 9g. Wont fitting a reverse gear lock solve this? How effective is this gear lock? And why just scorpio owners?
Old 21st April 2009, 11:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
And why just scorpio owners?
Tops the thieves' list of the most wanted!
Old 21st April 2009, 11:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
No distributors in Bangalore :(
Old 21st April 2009, 12:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The GPS+GSM based locators (and immobilizers) are much more accurate. Reading the TOI article at Amsaki web site shows that the actual tracking still involved lot of guess work and effort. The GPS based trackers on other hand give you position within few meters.
I will not mention name of company I am involved with as it violates the policy here but there are many Indian option also available.
Old 21st April 2009, 12:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I looked at the product mentioned here and it uses GSM technology for locating the car. While you could get a fix on the car by triangulating the GSM signals - IMO - a GPS based system would be better.
Old 21st April 2009, 12:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The GPS+GSM based locators (and immobilizers) are much more accurate. ...
Can you PM me the name of company you are talking about. I need to install one such device ASAP.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
I looked at the product mentioned here and it uses GSM technology for locating the car. While you could get a fix on the car by triangulating the GSM signals - IMO - a GPS based system would be better.
GPS based systems cost a lot more.
GSM solutions are much lighter on the pocket.

Both are available in India.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I've read that remotely limiting the throttle, and using GPS tracking have become tools of the loan companies in USA.

Remotely turning off the engine when the thief is overtaking a large vehicle with a bus coming the other way could result in there being very little car to reclaim, let alone very little thief
Old 21st April 2009, 13:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Remotely turning off the engine when the thief is overtaking a large vehicle with a bus coming the other way could result in there being very little car to reclaim, let alone very little thief
Thank God all bad dreams come to an end!
Old 21st April 2009, 14:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've read that remotely limiting the throttle, and using GPS tracking have become tools of the loan companies in USA.

I feel right now that device is custom made for US where two roads are separate. Upon shut down message car goes into limping mode and finally shut down the engine. Your situation hold true in India state roads, which are mostly single road for both side of traffic. If thieves try to test GQ then it will be useful
Old 21st April 2009, 14:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
He He He.. Thats one scenario that the thieves in India are gonna have to think about. Man the Owner will also be having this fingernails in his mouth thinking of this scenario.

Cheers!!!
Old 21st April 2009, 16:42   #14
BHPian

I have seen one GSM+GPS tracking system available locally in Delhi. It is a really effective and easy to use/understand system. The website of the vendor is :: Welcome to Auto Track ::

I saw a live demo on a hyundai Accent. It's somewhat nice to have such a thing on your car, however the downside being the entry cost and the monthly bill of 200 that Airtel would be footing for using the GSM services.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajender View Post
I have seen one GSM+GPS tracking system available locally in Delhi. It is a really effective and easy to use/understand system. The website of the vendor is :: Welcome to Auto Track ::

I saw a live demo on a hyundai Accent. It's somewhat nice to have such a thing on your car, however the downside being the entry cost and the monthly bill of 200 that Airtel would be footing for using the GSM services.
Their website seems to be down.. Are you sure about their trustworthiness ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks