Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 02:22   #1
BHPian

How to reverse your car on a slope?

Say, you have parked your car in the parking area which is basically built as a slope? When you come back (and have released the hand brake) and try to reverse it, should you:

a)Switch on the ignition and simply let it roll down, controlling the brakes simultaneously?

b)Simply release the hand brake without starting the car and let the car roll down while controlling the brakes?

c)Switch on the ignition, put the car in reverse gear and then pull it back?

Please assume that the car was already parked on a slope.
Old 24th April 2009, 09:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO, a) or c).

b) is simply not an option in cars with power steering or assisted brakes.
Old 24th April 2009, 09:14   #3
BHPian

option C is better than A. Cos being in reverse gear you are able to have more grip of car rather than being in neutral
Old 24th April 2009, 09:37   #4
BHPian

obviously C. A vehicle in gear is always a tamed beast.
Old 24th April 2009, 09:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Option B is dangerous! Never to be tried.

I would go for option A, but would slot into 1st gear with clutch closed and roll back slowly.

Option C would depend on how much of reverse I need to go. If long, then this option, else A.
Old 24th April 2009, 09:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Going by the options given, is it right to assume that the slope is downwards when you are reversing out? If so, then i would go for a). Although, if it is an absolutely deserted area, i would also be tempted to do c) + race down the slope and try to do a reverse 180
Old 24th April 2009, 10:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting answers: Switch engine on and roll back in neutral, first gear (clutch depressed) or reverse gear (clutch depressed)?

What if it's a very steep slope? Is first gear the best option then?
Old 24th April 2009, 10:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just keep the car in Gear with the engine running.
Old 24th April 2009, 10:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Going by the options given, is it right to assume that the slope is downwards when you are reversing out? If so, then i would go for a). Although, if it is an absolutely deserted area, i would also be tempted to do c) + race down the slope and try to do a reverse 180
Yep, the slope is downwards.

Guys,

So am I correct to assume that when you are reversing on a downward slope, you have better control over brakes when the engine is on and better still, in reverse gear?
Old 24th April 2009, 10:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

I believe A option will be the appropriate one as you need to control brake only, B is ruled completely as power steering will be non-operation which can be disastrous. C cannot be assumed as an option as while car is on a slope it will reverse of it's weight and you have to control brake and accelerator together i.e. more efforts.
Old 24th April 2009, 10:33   #11
BHPian

Why this question in the first place?

Why does this question arise in the first place? Whether you have to move forward or reverse, it always the same in a slope.

1. Parking is usually with hand brake on and in first or reverse gear, whichever is against the slope (meaning gear would be as if you want to go uphill)
2. When you want to leave from the parking, press clutch and brake.
3. Start the engine.
4. Double check if the gear is in the right position. If you want to go uphill (up the slope), the gear would be already in place if you had followed step-1.
5. Release hand brake.
6. From now on, it is your skill of releasing the clutch and releasing the brake gradually (assuming your car does not have hill holder or something like that). While doing this excercise making sure that vehicle does not roll down if intention is pulling up and also making sure that engine does not go off. Older generation people would easily do it by pressing the acceleration as well while depressing the brake with the same feet. But I don't think that modern cars need this excercise, specially I'm diesel fan and diesel engine pull up easily in half clutch.

Step-6 cannot have a concrete step. You just get to experience just as you would have experience the balance between the clutch and throttle on the plain surface.

If you think that you are bad in step 6, or you think that slope is too steep or you think that there is something dangerous just down a bit, the best thing to do is to put a stone or brick, whatever you can get, on the wheels to prevent rolling down. Chill!! Do whatever you want to do

By the way, what was the question? Was it for reversing down the slope or up the slope? If it is down the slope, question is even more silly.

Last edited by opendro : 24th April 2009 at 10:35. Reason: What was the question?
Old 24th April 2009, 10:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Just keep the car in Gear with the engine running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I believe A option will be the appropriate one as you need to control brake only, B is ruled completely as power steering will be non-operation which can be disastrous. C cannot be assumed as an option as while car is on a slope it will reverse of it's weight and you have to control brake and accelerator together i.e. more efforts.
When you say that the car should be in gear, are you talking about neutral, first or reverse gear? Also, irrespective of which gear is to be used, should you depress the clutch at all times? I tend to press the clutch only partially when reversing and fully depress it only to stop the car.
Old 24th April 2009, 10:45   #13
BHPian

In my view while starting the car with the car facing the slope, engage first gear with hand brakes on. Crank the engine with the clutch pressed and release the handbrake simultaneously releasing the clutch and accelerate.
Old 24th April 2009, 10:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
...By the way, what was the question? Was it for reversing down the slope or up the slope? If it is down the slope, question is even more silly.
Your answer in the first post itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
a)Switch on the ignition and simply let it roll down, controlling the brakes simultaneously?
So it has to be for reversing down a slop.

And, why do you think this is a silly question? Care to enlighten us?
Old 24th April 2009, 10:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
parked your car in the parking area which is basically built as a slope? When you come back (and have released the hand brake) and try to reverse it, should you:

b)Simply release the hand brake without starting the car and let the car roll down while controlling the brakes?

c)Switch on the ignition, put the car in reverse gear and then pull it back?

Please assume that the car was already parked on a slope.
Absolutely No to Option B, Since EPS works better when engine is ON, also in maruti the brakes dont work when engine is OFF (i dont know the name of this feature). When engine is Off, brake can be applied for 2-3 times and after that it becomes hard, cannot be applied.

My approach to move out of parking lot (with slope) in reverse,
1. You should start your car,
2. Put 1st gear, Press clutch, Release hand Brake.
3. Car will roll back slowly according to the slope.
4. Stop/Brake and release clutch to move car ahead.

As Opendro has allready said to put blocks while reversing, this can also be helpful.

Hope this might help. Members please correct if something i Missed.

regards.

Last edited by shabahmad : 24th April 2009 at 11:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks