Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 20:17   #16
BHPian

murali i think you were just unlucky, not because the belt went kaput so soon (i don't think it's necessarily *too soon* considering the car is also 5 yrs old and 60k is the prescribed age). the issue was that no one told you about it and trust me, the average car user isn't generally aware of these things. so what happened was quite common.

Last edited by silver_shadow : 6th May 2009 at 20:20.
Old 7th May 2009, 14:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
murali i think you were just unlucky, not because the belt went kaput so soon (i don't think it's necessarily *too soon* considering the car is also 5 yrs old and 60k is the prescribed age). the issue was that no one told you about it and trust me, the average car user isn't generally aware of these things. so what happened was quite common.
I do agree with you. I was quite slipshod to understand when it came to the Engine maintenance part, i used to take the word " no problem with your vehicle it is in good condition" of the service station personal. Now i am kind of jolted back to my feet with this incident.
Old 7th May 2009, 17:57   #18
BHPian

have they identified the exact cause ? was it just the belt failing or maybe another component like water pump failing which caused the belt to fail ?
Old 11th May 2009, 15:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
have they identified the exact cause ? was it just the belt failing or maybe another component like water pump failing which caused the belt to fail ?
They told me it was due to belt failing.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
I got the timing belt of my Optra 1.6 changed at 45K / 4yrs. The original belt that was taken out was in good condition. Only the timing belt was changed since the service adviser at the GM A. S. S. told me that everything else like water pump etc. was fine. Now can failure of a related component like tensioner bearings etc. lead to a timing belt failure eventually leading to catastrophic engine failure ? if yes than what else should be changed together with the timing belt ?
Hi buddy(ies),

It's my turn now to decide what to do. I hope you can help me with it. I had given my Optra 1.8 LS (2004 model) for the major service with my ODO at 60800kms. I was shocked to hear that I need to shell out Rs. 30K+ as the timing belt, tensioners etc etc needs to be changed. I had done all the previous services in time and I maintain my car very well as I cannot stand even an unwanted sound coming from it. Now according to the dealer if you do not change the timing belt (or let's say; he wants to bill it to meet his target or whatever), it might break and will cause extensive damage which may lead to 1 lakh+ expenses. At this juncture, I have the following doubts.
1. There are cars running without being properly serviced or maintained and without problems. So is this replacement really required ?

2. What if I ask for a normal service without going to change all the expensive stuff and take a chance? The worst thing that could happen is that the engine stalls (like a no fuel situation) due to a broken timing belt. Now, if I don't crank the engine again and ask for a tow to the dealer, would it have caused damage to the pistons or valves or sensors?

3. What is the normal life time of a timing belt if there are no other symptoms of failures? I see advertisements of timing belts from Dayco/Good Year with life time warranty.

4. Suppose, if it is that crucial and I have to change it, what would be the cost of the minimal parts (a list would be appreciated) that are associated with it that needs to be replaced to avoid any possible failure up until the next major service at 120K?

5. Will changing the timing belt alone (costs approx Rs3000+ I think )be good enough and is it wise taking the risk for other related parts (I don't know what else could fail or happen which is associated with this belt).

6. The dealer had already started the normal routine service with changing the air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, a/c filter, injector cleaning and routine checkups etc and he had quoted approx. Rs 5-6K for it. He also mentioned that the tensioner needs to be changed as there is a noise. Can they check the condition of the timing belt externally or is it a tedious procedure to open the case?

Though I don't know anything about the impact of a timing belt failure and its importance, I know that the dealers always tries to make the most money during a service by changing and replacing all things they feel like even if it is not really required. For eg: You may change the oil filter during every oil change but most of the people do it only once in two oil changes; or you could change the a/c filter more often if you are allergic to pollen etc. In one way both these are good for you or your car, but not really required, but a matter of choice just like how much more you want to run on a tire with threads worn out.

Please give me some insight into this and tell me if it's worth taking the risk. I could manage to spend like a max. of 10-12K, but not more than that as the car is 6 years old & the resale value is too less (though I don't intend to sell it, but if the maintainence charges are this bad, I might think about it).

Waiting for your thoughts and reply (even from other members)

Thanks
Old 12th June 2010, 18:12   #21
BHPian

I don't know for GM, but for Hyundai cars, replacement of thye timing belt is 60000 km OR 4 years.

Many people seem to forget the 4 yrs timing. The heating/ cooling cycle of an engine does have an adverse effect on the timing belt rubber.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanpt View Post
Hi buddy(ies),

It's my turn now to decide what to do. I hope you can help me with it. I had given my Optra 1.8 LS (2004 model) for the major service with my ODO at 60800kms. I was shocked to hear that I need to shell out Rs. 30K+ as the timing belt, tensioners etc etc needs to be changed. I had done all the previous services in time and I maintain my car very well as I cannot stand even an unwanted sound coming from it. Now according to the dealer if you do not change the timing belt (or let's say; he wants to bill it to meet his target or whatever), it might break and will cause extensive damage which may lead to 1 lakh+ expenses. At this juncture, I have the following doubts.
1. There are cars running without being properly serviced or maintained and without problems. So is this replacement really required ?

2. What if I ask for a normal service without going to change all the expensive stuff and take a chance? The worst thing that could happen is that the engine stalls (like a no fuel situation) due to a broken timing belt. Now, if I don't crank the engine again and ask for a tow to the dealer, would it have caused damage to the pistons or valves or sensors?

3. What is the normal life time of a timing belt if there are no other symptoms of failures? I see advertisements of timing belts from Dayco/Good Year with life time warranty.

4. Suppose, if it is that crucial and I have to change it, what would be the cost of the minimal parts (a list would be appreciated) that are associated with it that needs to be replaced to avoid any possible failure up until the next major service at 120K?

5. Will changing the timing belt alone (costs approx Rs3000+ I think )be good enough and is it wise taking the risk for other related parts (I don't know what else could fail or happen which is associated with this belt).

6. The dealer had already started the normal routine service with changing the air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, a/c filter, injector cleaning and routine checkups etc and he had quoted approx. Rs 5-6K for it. He also mentioned that the tensioner needs to be changed as there is a noise. Can they check the condition of the timing belt externally or is it a tedious procedure to open the case?

Though I don't know anything about the impact of a timing belt failure and its importance, I know that the dealers always tries to make the most money during a service by changing and replacing all things they feel like even if it is not really required. For eg: You may change the oil filter during every oil change but most of the people do it only once in two oil changes; or you could change the a/c filter more often if you are allergic to pollen etc. In one way both these are good for you or your car, but not really required, but a matter of choice just like how much more you want to run on a tire with threads worn out.

Please give me some insight into this and tell me if it's worth taking the risk. I could manage to spend like a max. of 10-12K, but not more than that as the car is 6 years old & the resale value is too less (though I don't intend to sell it, but if the maintainence charges are this bad, I might think about it).

Thanks
You need to replace the timing belt
And the tensioners only the bill should not be more than 10k . My bill came to about 13k and that included full servicing and brake pads change, spark plug change etc
Timing belt and tensioner change is a must at this stage
Old 14th June 2010, 10:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanpt View Post
Hi buddy(ies),

I would rate it as a critical replacement.

My suggestion : Get it replaced immediately.

Well, if engine is running then you piston/valves will be damaged for sure.

At 60K major cost of replacement is of tensoiner and tensioner belt

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ors-delhi.html

One should strictly follow, company recommended service schedule to maintain longevity of the engine.

Always try to get engine related work performed at Authorized Service Center only. Reason : If in case any further problem is diagnosed they have the hardware and spares support to rectify it further as well.

After 60K major service is at 120K so after getting this service done you'll be a happy driver till 120K. However, you can sell if you like around 110K something to get saved by major hit.

Thanks

Answers in Bold...........
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:48   #24
BHPian

Hi Guys.

I have finalised on a Chevy Optra 1.8, 2004 manual Trans and its Run 52,700 Kms and I am getting a decent price on it.

After reading this thread, I am now worried...do I need to get the timing belt replaced immediately or I can wait for another 4000-5000 Kms...if i need to get it done immediately, then the price I am paying is no more a good deal...the margin to say good deal is very thin you see..and I have already paid the advance for the car.

And going by the murphys law...I read many threads on T-Bhp before paying the advance and this thread was never visible till then :-).

I will definitely go and get the belt checked by GM *** for safety. The issue is that the guy has not got even a single service done at ***...not even the free ones as he has his own mechanic who takes care of his 9 cars including BMWs and they never go to the ***.

Suggest pls.

Rajeev

Last edited by rajismine : 23rd November 2010 at 12:50.
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:03   #25
BHPian

Please read *** as Authorised Service Center.

I guess it was removed by the mods may be due to language or short forms used,

regards

Rajeev
Old 24th November 2010, 10:02   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
do I need to get the timing belt replaced immediately or I can wait for another 4000-5000 Kms...if i need to get it done immediately, then the price I am paying is no more a good deal
You save quite a large packet by buying used. Then, you want to skimp on something as important as a timing belt, despite reports of premature failure on the Optra? If I were you, and after reading this thread, I'd be sure to change the timing belt ASAP.

Remember, preventive maintenance is all the more important when buying used as there is always an air of uncertainty on the history of the car. Before taking delivery of my 7,400 kms run pre-owned Civic, I got the following done. Even though most were unnecessary, I'd rather be safe than

- Mobil 1 engine oil change + filter
- Clean air-filter
- Brake line bleeding and fluid change.
- Brakes checked & cleaned
- Radiator flush & engine coolant change
- Power steering oil flush & refill
- Fuel filter changed
- Transmission oil flush & change
- Battery serviced
Old 24th November 2010, 14:58   #27
BHPian

Tx GTO. even I am going to get all the checks mentioned by you. its already on the cards.

The twist to the story now is that the guy says the timing belt was replaced some time back as he was told to change it at 50K kms and it was done at GM authorised centre.

But he does not remember when was it done nor can he find the bills. His driver took the car to service center and and does not work for him anymore hence no clue of the center too :(

Guess once I take the possession, I will go to the auth. cnter and check if there is any record of belt replacement...else will go ahead and get it replaced once again

Tx once again GTO

Rajeev
Old 24th November 2010, 15:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

@Rajeev - No need to scout service center after possession. Just go through Chevrolet website, scout out for workshop no.s, call them and inquire about latest due service and previous services while mentioning Car Reg. No.

Good part is via this way you may also get to know if the car is geniuenly ran 52700 km only in the last 6 years. No harm in dialing up 5-6 no.s and cross checking it
Old 21st July 2011, 13:07   #29
BANNED

Re: Engine Problem in Chevy Optra 1.6

rajismine, did you go ahead with the buy? The way the seller reacted really looks fishy, it would have been a deal breaker for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks