Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 23:47   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon 1.6 Speedometer issue

Hi Guys,
I had a problem with my ford ikon 1.6 yesterday while I was driving from Kerala to Bnagalore. It was raining all way roound till I reached the suburbs of Bangalore. After around 300 odd kms,I noticed that the needle in the speedometer is not coming back to zero. It rests in 160KMPH. A good reason to take a pic and fool some on the ODO beacuse the needle starts working from 160 and shows a speed of 220 and above when it reaches a speed on 70KMPH . The odo is working fine and the problem is only with the speedometer needle.

I opened the console cover ,took out the cover for speedometer assembly and tried to manually bring back the needle to zero and it never worked. It just goes back to 160 KMPH . Could anyoeb advice how I can correct it?
Old 6th May 2009, 11:01   #2
BHPian

Probably the return spring for the needle would have got snapped off. But there are some speedos which have an electric coil, to drive the needle back and forth. In any case you will find a return spring. Would it be possible for you to check and tell
Old 6th May 2009, 11:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Ikon has been known to have the worst speedo errors but this is just taking it to a new level. LOL

I remember reading a roadtest of the Ikon in one of the mags. At 190kmph on the speedo, true speed was only around 160kmph!!!

No wonder Ikon owners are so happy with its performance even though it takes a good 13.7 secs to reach 100kmph (10 secs if you go by the speedo) Hehe.

Shan2nu
Old 6th May 2009, 12:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Decode - The speedometer assembly in an Ikon uses the traditional mechanical assembly, where the needle is held towards zero with a spring. Its definitely the spring which has snapped off or come loose. Replace the spring and you will be fine. Dont take it to a company authorized service centre, as they will insist on changing the whole speedo assembly, which is totally unnecessary. Better to find a knowledgeable mechanic to do the job.

@Ilangop - You are right here. The Ikon however does not use an electronic speedo.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
The Ikon has been known to have the worst speedo errors but this is just taking it to a new level. LOL

I remember reading a roadtest of the Ikon in one of the mags. At 190kmph on the speedo, true speed was only around 160kmph!!!
Not sure which is the article you are referring to, but here's some proof that it isnt as extreme as you put it :

Ford Ikon 1.6 Speedometer issue-speedo-error.jpg

This is on the ikon TDCi which was reviewed.
The rest of the test can be read here : Link
Old 6th May 2009, 15:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu : The Ikon has been known to have the worst speedo errors but this is just taking it to a new level. LOL

@Shan, this is taking your Ikon to new levels ... er, speeds ! LoL !!
Old 6th May 2009, 18:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure which is the article you are referring to, but here's some proof that it isnt as extreme as you put it :
I think it was in Overdrive when they did the roadtest for the Ikon 1.6.

Heres a vid of a stock Ikon doing 0-100 in 10 secs.

Shan2nu
Old 6th May 2009, 22:01   #8
BHPian

Thanks predatorwheelz,Shan2nu and ilangop. Information provided was too good. But you know what, there would not be the so called "knowledgeable mechanic" in Bangalore. All of us know about the quality of ford Authorised ones too ....

I went to two well known (not ford authorised) and they told me to replace the meter. Both told me that the ford meter will be available only as full kit or console (all meters icluded).

To my surprise I came to know from the ford dealer that the speedometer alone is available. He was not sure about the price ,but told somewhere near rs.2000. I will keep you guys updated on the same.
Old 6th May 2009, 22:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode View Post
Thanks predatorwheelz,Shan2nu and ilangop. Information provided was too good. But you know what, there would not be the so called "knowledgeable mechanic" in Bangalore. All of us know about the quality of ford Authorised ones too ....

I went to two well known (not ford authorised) and they told me to replace the meter. Both told me that the ford meter will be available only as full kit or console (all meters icluded).

To my surprise I came to know from the ford dealer that the speedometer alone is available. He was not sure about the price ,but told somewhere near rs.2000. I will keep you guys updated on the same.
the safest bet would be to go down to JC road and ask what part they have, buy that and get it fitted in a decent non-authorised garage or DIY.
Old 6th May 2009, 23:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I think it was in Overdrive when they did the roadtest for the Ikon 1.6.

Heres a vid of a stock Ikon doing 0-100 in 10 secs.

Shan2nu
In the video, I see the Ikon reaching 100 KM mark exactly around 12-13 sec.

If you could give the exact source of the speedo error you have mentioned it would be helpful. The speedo figures you have put here looks overhyped to me since the Carwale figures on the speedo error put up here makes more sense.

@ Decode: If you are planning to replace the speedo, I would suggest you to get the speedo replaced at the Ford A.S.S.

The spart parts for the Ikon have gone a lot cheaper & the cost difference to after market stuff is almost negligible.

Last edited by anachronix : 6th May 2009 at 23:18.
Old 6th May 2009, 23:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you could give the exact source of the speedo error you have mentioned it would be helpful. The speedo figures you have put here looks overhyped to me since the Carwale figures on the speedo error put up here makes more sense.
It was in a mag, will see if i can find it.

Quote:
In the video, I see the Ikon reaching 100 KM mark exactly around 12-13 sec.
Thats bcoz you're looking at the time in the video at 100kmph. Use a stopwatch and start the clock when the speedo starts moving.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 6th May 2009 at 23:44.
Old 7th May 2009, 02:14   #12
BHPian

Thanks Anachronix .. The speed mentioned is not hyped at all. I have mentioned that this is a problem with the speedometer . The needle moved to 160 KMPH and moves to 220 when I assume I reach a speed of 70KMPH. I seriously hope the prices have come down for IKON. I can still recollect about the sleepless nights the day before or after giving my ikon for service thinking about the humongous bills that I have to pay.

I will plan to use my ikon for the next year too if I feel the prices of spares have gone down. 1.6 is fun to drive Mate...
Old 7th May 2009, 10:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anachronix .. The speed mentioned is not hyped at all. I have mentioned that this is a problem with the speedometer . The needle moved to 160 KMPH and moves to 220 when I assume I reach a speed of 70KMPH.
Ah.. You got me wrong! I was responding to Shan's reply about the speedo errors in Ikon

Quote:
I seriously hope the prices have come down for IKON. I can still recollect about the sleepless nights the day before or after giving my ikon for service thinking about the humongous bills that I have to pay.
The prices have come down. I owned the Ikon 1.6 for 4 years and I know how much of burden it is on the wallet when it comes to maintaining the Ikon. But, after the launch of the new Ikon I see a big drop in the prices since most parts are localised now.

Its worth a check at the Ford A.S.S! I am sure the price difference with the after market stuff should be negligible.

Quote:
I will plan to use my ikon for the next year too if I feel the prices of spares have gone down. 1.6 is fun to drive Mate...
Its been only a couple of weeks since I sold my Ikon 1.6!

I am in process of getting its big brother . I hope its a better replacement.

@Shan, if you look at the video more carefully, the speed & video time is more or less the same. The speedo figures you have quoted here still looks overhyped to me. The Carwale figures look more real!
Old 7th May 2009, 15:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Shan, if you look at the video more carefully, the speed & video time is more or less the same. The speedo figures you have quoted here still looks overhyped to me. The Carwale figures look more real!
Believe what you have to believe. Afterall, its just a speedo error, no big deal.

PS : When i checked the vid with a stop watch, i got a 0-100 of around 10.6 secs.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 7th May 2009 at 15:53.
Old 7th May 2009, 16:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu : Afterall, its just a speedo error, no big deal.
Yeah, no big deal.
Quote:
Shan2nu : No wonder Ikon owners are so happy with its performance
No big deal if the Ikon owners are not happy, either.

And if it is no big deal, then why do we even need to take a stop watch & time the video ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks