Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2016, 16:15   #421
BANNED

Re: Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2W-4W View Post
Also, do we need to keep a check on that Right foot after turbo replacement? Asking this because I will go on a road trip to Rajasthan next week and roads there are straight out of F1 track.
AFAIK, any new component in the car needs some time to bed in so it is reliable.

Be sure to following the 30 second idling rule at shutdown mainly and when startup don't revv the car a lot. Keep varying the RPM a bit in the initial 500 kms post which you can stretch it a bit gradually.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 10:49   #422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2W-4W View Post
Also, do we need to keep a check on that Right foot after turbo replacement? Asking this because I will go on a road trip to Rajasthan next week and roads there are straight out of F1 track
Nothing much apart from letting the turbo lube up, basically idling the car for 10-15 seconds at start and idling for a minute or two after long hard runs before shutting down. This should suffice.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:52   #423
bkc
BHPian

Hi,
Experts of DDIS; is this normal i.e. oil over the intercooler hoses?? Please look at the pictures below and comment.
Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-img_20170102_142624.jpg
Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-img_20170102_142632.jpg

Mine is 36xxx Kms run 2015 swift and under warranty. I have taken the extended warranty but, how to verify the extended warranty on my vehicle?? ; I have not received any certificate for the same.

I am facing steering shake at turbo zone right from day one of purchase and nobody could pin-point issue at MASS. The below, are the parts replaced under warranty, yet, could not identify the root cause.
1) Gear jump from day one and rectified by replacing some part at 9xxkms; issue was the gear jump from second to neutral while overtaking, rectified by MASS.
2) Steering shake started since then and both service managers namely Vijay Babu (left job now) and Santosh at Mandovi were helpful in diagnosing and interest in solving but, till now the issue is unsorted and got fed up (felt safe as I have warranty).
  • Initially said due to 195 tyres but I argued and asked them to check with their TD car tyres and I was right.
  • Replaced clutch, flywheel at 9,xxx Kms but that did not resolve the issue.
3) Replaced lower arm driver side as the boot rubber had cut, noticed during washing outside. (even that is not the issue for steering shake)
4) Replaced Tie rods by paying from pocket during 30xxxkm service saying it doesn’t come under warranty and is a rubber part.
5) Alignment is always an issue and car pulls towards left. (any serious chassis issue??)

Please suggest on anything else to be checked, for resolving the issue. If any Swift owner/bhpian is willing to get in touch and drive my vehicle to know the exact issue, kindly let me know (I live nearby basaveshwaranagar, Bangalore).
Thanks in advance for help and suggestions.

Last edited by bkc : 2nd January 2017 at 16:01. Reason: Please do not post personal information (mobile no, email ID etc) on an open forum.
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:13   #424
Senior - BHPian

Ideally the Intercooler hose should not have any oil residue. How is the engine response? Do you get the turbo kick? If not, chances are the Intercooler is clogged with Oil. Please check the oil level. I am sure the monkeys at MASS filled 3.5L of engine oil instead of the specified 3.1L.
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:21   #425
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Ideally the Intercooler hose should not have any oil residue. How is the engine response? Do you get the turbo kick? If not, chances are the Intercooler is clogged with Oil. Please check the oil level. I am sure the monkeys at MASS filled 3.5L of engine oil instead of the specified 3.1L.
Hi Rakesh,
Yes, you might be right, the Dip stick 'oil mark' seems more than the marked position. I shall check the same with MASS.
Turbo kick although exists, is not as crazy as it was, after the 10000kms service.
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:04   #426
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Hi,
Experts of DDIS; is this normal i.e. oil over the intercooler hoses?? Please look at the pictures below and comment.
Not at all normal buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Turbo kick although exists, is not as crazy as it was, after the 10000kms service.
Clear case of engine oil over-filling.

Here is my DIY thread on cleaning the intercooler. You can do it yourself if you are a DIY person.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...tercooler.html

Else take it to MASS, get the intercooler cleaning done thoroughly and refill the engine oil to the correct quantity which is 3.1L. Drive around for 50 to 100 kms and see if there is any difference.

Over-filling oil will kill the turbocharger sooner than normal.

Stay at the service centre with the car when they are doing this. Insist you to stay there.

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd January 2017 at 18:05.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:14   #427
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not at all normal buddy.

Clear case of engine oil over-filling.

Here is my DIY thread on cleaning the intercooler. You can do it yourself if you are a DIY person.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...tercooler.html

Else take it to MASS, get the intercooler cleaning done thoroughly and refill the engine oil to the correct quantity which is 3.1L. Drive around for 50 to 100 kms and see if there is any difference.

Over-filling oil will kill the turbocharger sooner than normal.

Stay at the service centre with the car when they are doing this. Insist you to stay there.
Thanks Anurag. I have given the car to MASS in the morning, having discussed the issue with service manager. He assigned to a SA, meanwhile, I checked for my extended warranty with records but seem it is not there.
Right now, it still comes under normal warranty but, I had paid for extended warranty.

There seems to be some issue with Mandovi; I spoke to the marketing executive who sold me the car and he asked for some time to check records and give me the details. If there is some game in the sale, I am going to mail Maruti with these issues. I even checked with them for new extended warranty if I chose to buy again (why pay twice); it comes to nearly 15k.
Old 3rd January 2017, 17:41   #428
bkc
BHPian

Update:
Met with the SA and he was ready with two invoices, that I paid during my car purchase.
  1. One was the amount; I paid before the cheque arrived from bank. (Road tax + extended warranty + incidental charges)
  2. Amount credited from bank to their account.
The total amount paid + 10K cash discount - insurance amount = car price + Rs 4xxx amount.
The Rs4xxx amount was refunded to me, via a cheque. Insurance was taken by me, separately outside, at a much cheaper cost.

Took the SA to service centre and the cost was total 14025Rs for extended warranty (around 10000Rs if bought during car purchase). He agreed to pay 10000Rs for his mistake (asked not to escalate) and I added an additional 4000Rs feeling, sorry for him. Finally, peace of mind for additional 43000kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-img_20170103_171608.jpg  

bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 00:30   #429
BHPian

Thanks to the initiator and many contributors to this thread!

My SX4 Diesel had a problem with the turbo not kicking-in intermittently
My service advisor suggested that since the engine had run 90000 km+ and we had not cleaned the EGR valve earlier, probably that was the cause!

I had the EGR valve, injectors cleaned and the problem appeared to have been solved - I actually had no time to go on a long test-drive!

After a month, during a long drive, the same issue cropped-up again! Sometimes the turbo would kick-in and many times wouldn't!
It was absolutely frustrating when the engine just revved up with no corresponding increase in power/torque

During my next visit to the MASS, the SA, as expected, concluded that the turbo had failed and said that it required to be replaced!

I argued with him that I was one of those enthusiasts that kept the engine idling (for a minute) after starting-up and before switching-off, and took such good care of my vehicles; there was no way the turbo-charger could fail!
Also, when the turbo did kick in, the boost was quite satisfactory! A failed turbo would not kick in at all!

I gently coaxed him to check all the plumbing attached to the turbo, and lo and behold, one of the (vacuum) hoses was cut!

I asked him to change ALL the hoses. Total cost of replacement - Rs. 500
Cost of a new turbo-charger - upwards of Rs. 30k!

Had I actually changed the turbo (without checking the hoses), the service center would have invariably replaced all the plumbing and the matter would have been anyway resolved.
And the SA would have said - "Sir, I told you that replacing the turbo would solve the problem!"
cpbopanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 17:02   #430
BANNED

My 7.5 years old Ritz ZDi(79,900 KMS) is now at the Maruti A.S.S for the routine service, and the advisor phoned me saying that the turbocharger is busted

The car had white smoke for the last 20K KMS: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ng-starts.html (Diesel engine - White smoke on morning starts)

The car was always driven sanely at less than 2500 RPM and was regularly serviced at Maruti A.S.S only plus I've always followed: https://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/...o-charged-cars

Total cost: 15K + 2K(for some oil sump)

My questions:
  1. What will the reason for this turbo leak? (Heard that DDiS turbos last for 1.5L KMS or more).
  2. Is this a sign of a turbo that needs replacement or something else?
  3. Should I take it to another service center?
These are the photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-img20201130wa0004.jpg  

Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-img20201130wa0006.jpg  

Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-img20201130wa0007.jpg  

Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread-img20201130wa0008.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks