Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2009, 20:36   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio CRDE 2007 - Problems 'n' Problems

Hi All

This is my first post in Team-BHP, have been reading all the threads for more than a year now. Decided to become a member and got lucky on the third attempt. Though I have driven a lot of cars/SUVs in and outside India, my knowledge is limited when compared to most of the members here.

I have a Mahindra Scorpio LX CRDE 2.6, September 2007 Model. Though it’s one of the best vehicle in India, I have faced lot of problems from day 3 of purchase. My Scorpio has run 29500 KM and is due for 30000 service. All the service has been done at A.S.S, Bangalore. Though never faced any problem while interacting with A.S.S Mechanics, but I don’t think they have enough knowledge to fix the problem at first attempt. Their ready answer to all problems is “will replace with the new spare part under warranty”, which is not a reasonable solution in all cases.

Here goes the list of resolved problems (major ones faced)
  • Clutch pedal used to make a lot noise, showroom replaced it thrice with new clutch pedal assembly, got it fixed fourth time when they replaced the clutch pedal assembly with a new model clutch called “half clutch”.
  • Starter motor just got corrupt & the vehicle wouldn’t start. Showroom informed that the starter motor from Mico bosch had some technical problems towards the end of 2007. Mico bosch repalced the starter motor with new starter (new model).
  • Fuel filter had to be replaced as water/impurity in fuel light was on always even after cleaning the filter, not sure why.
  • Fuse for cigratte lighter, music system, fog lamp just snapped in the middle of high way. Got it replaced from the showroom.
  • The entire Scorpio used to vibrate whenever I cross 100 KPH, did wheel balancing & alignment ‘n’ number of times at the showroom. Every time wheel balancing was done the vibrations used to be at 120 KMPH and above, but gradually after 500-600 KM the vibration used to return at 80-100 KMPH. Showroom guys said it’s the fault with JK Tyres and informed JK tyre experts to test the tyres. JK Tyres took all the 5 tyres for test and informed that there was manufacturing defect with 4 tyres and replaced them free of cost. No reason given for not replacing the 5th tyre. Vibration started at 9000 KM and the tyres were replaced at 13000 KM.
  • Belt started to make a lot of noise, especially in cold start and would reduce after 40-50 KM. Every time I used to complain they used to adjust the pulley, which used to be ok for a day or two and start making a lot of noise again. The problem was resolved when they replaced two pulley.
All the above was done under warranty and didn’t pay a thing expect precious time and peace of mind.

Problems for which I really need the answer –
  • Clutch really became very hard to apply after 25000 KM, the initial answer to this by the A.S.S Mechanics was LX model clutch assembly is different to SLX model where the clutch is smoother then LX model, didn’t really buy the theory. In the morning or during cold start the clutch used to be smooth and after 50-60 KM the clutch used to hard and after 100 KM it was impossible to apply the clutch. A.S.S supervisor said, all the torque and heat which is getting generated pushes the pressure plate and clutch back when you apply after you run certain KM. I didn’t agree to this as I never faced any problem still 25000 KM, why suddenly. Finally the A.S.S Mechanics replaced the pressure plate and clutch plate at 28000 KM, it was initially very smooth, but seems to be getting harder and very hard after 100 KM. Please suggest what would be the problem and the solution to this.
  • After the mechanics changed the pressure plate and the clutch plate there is a huge vibration (sort of wobbling) in the 3rd and 4th gear while accelerating and de- accelerating. This particular vibration is different from the usually vibration and seems to be coming from bottom of the vehicle, below the gear lever. The entire steering, clutch, brake, gear lever vibrates for few seconds as if the vehicle is running on rumblers. The vibration is continuous above 100 KMPH.
  • 30000 KM service is due, please let me know the points which I should keep in mind while servicing
Thanks in Advance to all you guys

Regards

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th May 2009 at 21:46. Reason: Removed Font tags
Old 12th November 2009, 13:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

"Chandra" did u get the solution for the problems you are facing. better ask any scorpio owners/gurus
Old 12th November 2009, 13:39   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

what a horrible list of troubles! poor guy I feel bad to read the post itself!

suggest you PM Mr Behram Dhabhar on this Forum and request his expert advice on this.
Also, it may be a good idea to contact the Mahindra Regional Office and speak to the Senior Engineer here in Bangalore who is in charge of Customer Service and explain the entire history to him. I am very sure they will look after you because they are pretty responsive to the consumers.
Unfortunately I dont have the Senior Engineer's number but do try and establish contact via India Garage on St. Marks Road - they are the oldest dealer of M&M here and are well respected by the Mahindra regional office here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Hi All

Problems for which I really need the answer –
  • Clutch really became very hard to apply after 25000 KM, the initial answer to this by the A.S.S Mechanics was LX model clutch assembly is different to SLX model where the clutch is smoother then LX model, didn’t really buy the theory. In the morning or during cold start the clutch used to be smooth and after 50-60 KM the clutch used to hard and after 100 KM it was impossible to apply the clutch. A.S.S supervisor said, all the torque and heat which is getting generated pushes the pressure plate and clutch back when you apply after you run certain KM. I didn’t agree to this as I never faced any problem still 25000 KM, why suddenly. Finally the A.S.S Mechanics replaced the pressure plate and clutch plate at 28000 KM, it was initially very smooth, but seems to be getting harder and very hard after 100 KM. Please suggest what would be the problem and the solution to this.
  • After the mechanics changed the pressure plate and the clutch plate there is a huge vibration (sort of wobbling) in the 3rd and 4th gear while accelerating and de- accelerating. This particular vibration is different from the usually vibration and seems to be coming from bottom of the vehicle, below the gear lever. The entire steering, clutch, brake, gear lever vibrates for few seconds as if the vehicle is running on rumblers. The vibration is continuous above 100 KMPH.
  • 30000 KM service is due, please let me know the points which I should keep in mind while servicing
Thanks in Advance to all you guys

Regards
Old 13th November 2009, 09:59   #4
BHPian

Hi Shankar

Though many of the problems listed above have been resolved, there is still a bit of vibration which I am not happy about. Though Mahindra Technicians say this is common which every scorpio has but at different speed and RPMs. Scorpio Owners/Gurus please add on this..

Did contact Mahindra AO and Mr.Pillai from Mumbai dropped in on Monday and suggested to change the EGR and flash the ECU (load some new code). After which much of the vibration has reduced and the engine is running like new. But I am sure the vibration will return as this is what has being happening for the last 8 months.

List of things which has been changed in the last three months -
1. Clutch Assembly (new type, not sure what that means)
2. Prop Shaft
3. New Bridgestone tyres
4. New Wheel Discs
5. Front Brake Set
6. EGR
8. Ball Joint

List is going on & on, but I thing for sure its almost a new vehicle with all this replacements

Will definetly PM Mr. Behram Dhabhar. Mean while have seen you Scorpio copuple of time on Hosur Road and followed it once till Silk Board. Where do you work.. e city?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks