Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 23:42   #1
BHPian

Logan Clutch & Other Problems Continues

Earlier I wrote lot of good things about my car - the Mahindra Renault Logan DLS but now feeling the price of my mistake by purchasing Logan Diesel.

The main problem is its clutch which is too hard (a wire based) to drive in city conditions, I serviced my car again n again and shown to service engineers, changed clutch wire but the stoy is still same. And Mahindra guys are given up for Logan problems, including other like cracking plastic, door noise and low pickup.

I have submitted a complaint as well on iComplaints (Logan Car Clutch Problem - Mahindra Renault Pvt Ltd Complaint), lets see if anyone replies from Mahindra Renault.

Logan is another Fiat in making by dropping sales day by day (only 502 sold last month) and the resale price of 1.5 year old from 7 lacs DLS dropped to 4 lacs only. What a silly mistake :(

Let me know if anyone has any idea about replacement of clutch system, like changing wire to some other cars wire etc.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:10   #2
BHPian

How many Km's has the car covered ? Did you compare you car's clutch pedal with that from another similar vehicle? Please share some details.

Since its not a hydraulic clutch (and its on a diesel) - it will be harder than on other cars. That said, the link you provided seems to claim that all Logan's have such issues.

Can't say that I agree to that kind of a sweeping statement - the clutch on my DLS works just fine.

Please contact Mahindra via email so that they can look into your concern.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Changing cable might not really help, since you have already mentioned that with a new cable it felt the same.

Did you compare it with other logans, is it tighter. If so you can ask your dealer to inspect the clutch unit.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:12   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Changing cable might not really help, since you have already mentioned that with a new cable it felt the same.

Did you compare it with other logans, is it tighter. If so you can ask your dealer to inspect the clutch unit.
Rightly said.

1. Compare clutch condition with other Logan
2. Pressurize dealer to get it resolved. If required, contact their head office.
Old 13th May 2009, 23:27   #5
BHPian

Already compared and talked to lot of people, all roaming around when I visit service center with almost same problems, like clutch & hard power steering etc.

In complaint what I wrote is outcome of my personal experience and the views & data given by Mahindra Renault and its engineers. Those who do not have problems are the luckiest ones.

Today when I visited service center for a free AC checkup camp, I got a chance to talk to a 1.5 year old customer of Logan DLS from Rewari, Haryana who was there to fix his hard power steering, for that he already changed power steering pump earlier, also he told me a shocking news that TrueValue dealers are giving only 3.2 lacs for his under warranty, good condition Logan DLS, he was smiling, infact he can smile only, or rather we all.

If I check valuation on Car Wale it comes around 4 lacs with only 16000 kms and 1.8 years and I tell you guys they predict almost correct (with my prior car selling experience)
Old 14th May 2009, 03:31   #6
BHPian

I have the exact same problem in my Logan DLS too. I think the hard clutch and steering are inherent in all Logans. Surprisingly, I used to like the car a lot but these days I hate touching it at all...
Old 14th May 2009, 08:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Earlier I wrote lot of good things about my car - the Mahindra Renault Logan DLS but now feeling the price of my mistake by purchasing Logan Diesel.
I am sorry to hear that I hope your clutch issue is resolved soon.

Quote:
including other like cracking plastic, door noise and low pickup.
Oh! looks like the french haven't sorted the cracking plastic issue yet. May be it's in their genes. We own a Peugeot 309 in family and the whole dashboard has slowly cracked in different places year after year.

But the build quality is solid, no rattling wrt to doors or any thing. TUD5 is still solid after 2.3 lak kms and returns 17 kmpl average.

Quote:
Logan is another Fiat in making by dropping sales day by day (only 502 sold last month)
No I guess. Fiat is slowly back on track; considering the current numbers.
Old 14th May 2009, 14:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have heard the complaint about clutch and power steering from my friend who is using Logan. I feel it is better to ignore them (if not so bad) rather than spending money and time trying to rectify it.
Old 14th May 2009, 22:01   #9
BHPian

I for one do not have a problem with the clutch in my Logan (1.4 GLX) nor do I feel it to be perceptibly harder than that in others. In fact I find it easy to snail around in stop-and-go traffic using just the clutch. In extended periods in slow traffic it does prove to be a pain in the legs but that would be the case with any manual transmission, more so in my case cause I'm 6'5" .

The steering - yes. Certainly stiffer than other power steerings , but look at it this way - in your average drive , how many turns of the steering do you need to make that require effort..
Old 14th May 2009, 22:04   #10
BHPian

Dude you have a petrol. We're talking about the diesel Logan. This issue seems to be common across all diesel Logans just like the drift to the left is common across a lot of diesel Swifts.
Old 14th May 2009, 22:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

since you changed the cable, was the clutch settings done?

Is the car under warranty.
Old 14th May 2009, 22:17   #12
BHPian

Yes clutch cable was changed around a month back and clutch adjusted again a couple of days before, but nothing has changed - its a manufacturing and cost cutting problem, wont go away.

Yes the car is still under warranty, infact going to renew tomorrow for one year more @ 7900-15% (6715). Its costly too. Scorpio 2 year extended comes in just 9999 only and Logan in 14600.
Old 14th May 2009, 22:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Yes clutch cable was changed around a month back and clutch adjusted again a couple of days before, but nothing has changed - its a manufacturing and cost cutting problem, wont go away.

Yes the car is still under warranty, infact going to renew tomorrow for one year more @ 7900-15% (6715). Its costly too. Scorpio 2 year extended comes in just 9999 only and Logan in 14600.
So excercise your warranty. as i drove this during its road show here, and it was a well beaten DEMO car, still i didn't felt anything that you mentioned. Please note i test drove on hills
Old 14th May 2009, 23:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ask them to change the pressure plate! Dont drive around if you are not satisfied! Complain and see to it that its rectified
Old 15th May 2009, 12:25   #15
BHPian

The problem could be -
  1. Your clutch/pressure plate needs to be replaced (the clutch does get harder as it gets older)
    OR
  2. Even a brand new clutch on the logan diesel is too hard to you(it is an individual preference)

If its #1, it needs to be addressed by dealer under warranty.

If you think its #2 (based on your experiences test driving other logan diesels), there's a product in the market that claims to "Convert Your Car to a Semi-Automatic Car" - I suppose you could give that a try.

Here's a review about it by a fellow bhpian - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...ch-review.html

A simpler solution to #2 would be to modify the clutch to work off a hydraulic system.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks