Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 15:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Odour in car when hot

HI guys,

Facing a peculiar problem.. whenever I get into my car thats parked in sun (hot) for a long time, theres a weird odour all over. So much so, theres a burning sensation in the eyes as well. This remains for sometime even after I roll down the windows and put on the a/c.

Tried a lot of things including air freshner, washing the mats/seat covers etc. but to no avail. I'm using replica leather seat covers.

Any pointers?
Old 17th May 2009, 15:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm. This reminds me of a peice of "chain mail" i got a few days back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some chain email
watch it!!!!
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
The given article is based on true facts!

Please do not turn on A/C immediately as soon as you enter the car. Open the windows after you enter your car and turn ON the air-conditioning after a couple of minutes.

According to a research done, the car dashboard, sofa, air freshener emits Benzene, a Cancer causing toxin (carcinogen - take note of the heated plastic Smell in your car).

In addition to causing cancer, it poisons your bones, causes anemia, and reduces white blood cells.
Prolonged exposure will cause Leukemia, increasing the risk of cancer. May also cause miscarriage.
Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft.. A car parked indoors with the windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene.. If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 60 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level...& the people inside the car will inevitably inhale an excess amount of the toxins.

It is recommended that you open the windows and door to give time for the interior to air out before you enter.

Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver, and is very difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff.

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.' - Chinese Proverb.
Now, you do mention that you have replica leather covers, and the smell only happens when the car is in the sun. It is possible the heat is causing the seats to smell this way -- since i doubt it could be the other OEM stuff as that would be a commonly reported problem.

cya
R
Old 17th May 2009, 15:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is a thread already speaking on the same topic.Its due to the air freshner used in the car.Try to clean the filter and the A/C ducts and then stop using the air freshner.It does nothing but results in bad health if used loong term.

Hey rehan,Was that a part of the chain mails,lolz.It was posted in the same words in another thread this morning.Something conected to the A/C.
ram

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th May 2009 at 15:58. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 17th May 2009, 15:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
There is a thread already speaking on the same topic.
Could we have a link please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Hey rehan,Was that a part of the chain mails,lolz.It was posted in the same words in another thread this morning.Something conected to the A/C.
ram
Not sure i get your question - but everything in the quote in my post is verbatim from the mail.

cya
R
Old 17th May 2009, 16:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@Pankaj, what kind of smell is it ? pleasant / pungent / aromatic / paint-like / plasticy / adhesive-ish ?

How old is the car ?
When did this start ?
Any changes to the car interiors / a-c unit before this started ?
Increase / decrease if you use a/c and/or blower ?
Old 17th May 2009, 16:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Rehan,i suppose this is the link to the thread,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ale-air-4.html

ram
Old 17th May 2009, 16:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
HI guys,

my car thats parked in sun (hot) for a long time, theres a weird odour all over.
Tried a lot of things including air freshner, washing the mats/seat covers etc. but to no avail. I'm using replica leather seat covers.
Any pointers?
i don't know the reason for the problem but i have a solution.

put window visors.
if there are window visors, you can roll down the window glass for 1 or 2 cm during parking so that hot air can be passed out. hope, this could solve your problem.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 17th May 2009 at 16:28.
Old 17th May 2009, 17:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Rehaan--I got the same chain email yesterday, and did not get time to post it on this forum. I wonder if it is authentic information though.
Nevertheless I dont fall into that category of people who start the car and AC immediately after that. I always drive for 3 to 5 minutes with my front glasses rolled down in fresh air mode, and switch on the AC only after that.

In case my car is parked in the hot sun, I do switch on the AC, but in fresh air mode, and with the glasses rolled down for a minute or so, to get rid of the hot air from the interior.

Last edited by vnabhi : 17th May 2009 at 17:57.
Old 17th May 2009, 19:05   #9
BHPian

in my old car, i used to keep a rear window open only like nail thick. this helped a little.
the open window glass should be not more than nail thickness, as keeping it much open can let people harm/steal it.
Old 17th May 2009, 20:48   #10
BHPian

Hi panky, I've faced this problem myself all through my Santro ownership. For the first one-two years, the smell was indeed heady and my eyes used to water, I think it's the plastic on dashboard to blame.

Benzene or not, the fumes it puts out is terrible and as everyone suggests (and I already do), best is to roll down windows and let the hot air rush out for like 30 seconds before you sit in the car.

Anyone else with Santro Xing/Indigo facing the same problem?
Old 17th May 2009, 21:06   #11
BANNED

problem in toyota innova 2008 d4d owned in punjab.

Park in sun.. U get burning eyes for 2 mins. No accessories in the car except garware sunfilm.
Old 17th May 2009, 23:10   #12
BHPian

I have had this problem in my Vista and I was he;ped by friends in another forum to pin point the cause as 'dashboard polish'.

On their advise, I asked the service guys to rub away the polish with a moist cloth and I must admit this has reduced the burning by about 75%.

You can try the same method. But, the art leather seats could also be a contributing factor.
Old 17th May 2009, 23:23   #13
BHPian

try the spray for the A/c ducts , im not sure mebe the 3m one which is avaliable , its a kind of a/c neutraliser of sorts which reduces the smell in the car. Worked on my lancer.
Old 17th May 2009, 23:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had this problem and it was the dash board polish, They use white silicone type liquid to make the dash shine. After few days of the same it started reducing...
Old 18th May 2009, 09:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Pankaj, what kind of smell is it ? pleasant / pungent / aromatic / paint-like / plasticy / adhesive-ish ?

How old is the car ?
When did this start ?
Any changes to the car interiors / a-c unit before this started ?
Increase / decrease if you use a/c and/or blower ?
Thanks for all the replies guys.. appreciate it!

Theres no issue of dash-board polish as I clean it thoroughly every week.

@ Condor: Its a mix of plastic and adhesive.

Car is app 1 year old and the problem is from the day 1.. getting worse in summer. contacted TA$$, as usual, a bunch of morons smelling all across to find anything!

No changes to interiors or a/c except seat covers and footmats.
Vanishes when a/c is on (ok close to 99%)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks