Team-BHP - i10 Kappa refuses to start. Battery flat?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   i10 Kappa refuses to start. Battery flat? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/58917-i10-kappa-refuses-start-battery-flat.html)

Hello Bhpians

Here i come to you with a real bad situation i am in, with my i10 Kappa. Apparently this happened this morning.

Exactly 9 days back i did a trip to Gudalur on my car and clocked around 650 odd KM's on it. After coming back from the trip i parked the car in the lower basement of my apartment and left for Singapore the very next day. I reached bangalore last night and this morning when i tried to start the car to go to office it just didn't start. ( The car had been lying in the parking lot for the last 9 day without being used/driven )

I felt some what fishy when i initially tried unlocking the car with the remote key. There was no beep, no flashing light and the doors just didn't get unlocked, so i manually opened the car, inserted the key and turned on the ignition..to my surprise not a single light came up on the instrument cluster and there was no signs of the car trying to start ( the car doesn't even crank ). The park light doesn't come up, the indicators don't work, the blowers don't turn on nor does the music system but I do see a small light on the mobile phone charger which is connected to the cigarette lighter interface.

I opened the bonnet and checked for any loose cable running to the terminal of the battery but they all look fine....What could be the problem here....its just a 8 month old car and it simply refuses to start. I am planning to call up Hyundai *** but i though i would post this matter here before i do so, BTW the car runs on EXIDE battery.

Is there a probability that the battery could have drained off during the last 9 days anyways i am a bit pissed off, as these kind of issues are popping up on a relatively new car..

Any suggestion from fellow Bhpian's on what i should do or check..

Regards

Jango

yes it is battery , You might have left some light turned on any way.

Use two thick wires to Jump start the car from battery of another car or If you are not sure how to do this call the helpline of either exide or Hyundai.

Driving for 10 - 15 KM after starting will fix the problem.

From next time before leaving for a trip please check if any light is on or not. Also for log trips ( more then 2 weeks) disconnect the negative terminal of battery.

There is a possibility the battery could have drained out, due to the anti theft system in place. It's been 9 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 1310115)
yes it is battery , You might have left some light turned on any way.

Use two thick wires to Jump start the car from battery of another car or If you are not sure how to do this call the helpline of either exide or Hyundai.

Driving for 10 - 15 KM after starting will fix the problem.

From next time before leaving for a trip please check if any light is on or not. Also for log trips ( more then 2 weeks) disconnect the negative terminal of battery.

Amit there was no lights left on. I normally make sure that i turn off the AC, the blowers, music system etc even before i switch off the car

Quote:

Originally Posted by pranava999 (Post 1310116)
There is a possibility the battery could have drained out, due to the anti theft system in place. It's been 9 days.

Pranav does the anti theft system consume so much of battery..??

Quote:

Originally Posted by pranava999 (Post 1310116)

Thats not a possibility unless the system has not been installed properly i sometimes leave my car for about 2-3 weeks and come back and one crank and the engine ie up and idling. And my car is a diesel. My Alto at home also get similar treatment at times, but has never failed on me till date like this.

Its the battery for sure. First off all the after market accessories should be suspect.

To start your car you better get in touch with break down services if you dont know how to jump start your vehicle.

It's just a guess. This used to happen in a cielo we sparingly used. The only other thing being, you were driving with a weak alternator. Like Amit suggested call the service folk. Nothing to worry, unless its a weak alternator..In any case don't worry too much, first get the car started and then run it for a bit and get the battery as well as alternator tested.

Call up the Batmobile. They are very responsive, the exide guys, and will have you up and running in no time. This is a common problem, 9 days seems to be too short a time though. Don't worry though, your battery is under warranty and it will get fixed quick. Get it done, and post an update:)

Battery could not have drained. It's probably a blown fuse.

Reacharge battery and check if all the wiring is proper, especially the alarm system. I faced a similar issue with alarm draining battery out in weeks time thanks to wiring goof up.

What's the make of the battery in your car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1310145)
Reacharge battery and check if all the wiring is proper, especially the alarm system. I faced a similar issue with alarm draining battery out in weeks time thanks to wiring goof up.

The alarm systems was done by Hyundai itself and i am using the Hyundai anti theft system as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 1310148)

Rudra Sir the car runs on EXIDE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 1310148)

He has said earlier. Its Exide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jango (Post 1310161)
The alarm systems was done by Hyundai itself and i am using the Hyundai anti theft system as well

That doesnt mean things cant go wrong, get it checked. A simple and small leakage can cause complete drain over a period.

If you want to do DIY, use a multimeter and see if there is any major discharge from the leads, if so disconnect the alarm and see if it helps. There will be minor difference but the actual amount of discharge/difference in discharge is very high then you have a problem.

Rudra also has a point, OE exide's can sometimes be notorious :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jango (Post 1310161)
Rudra Sir the car runs on EXIDE.

Don't get me wrong but this is the name came on my mind. Exide has a reputation of manufacturing faulty battery. I've faced it twice in the past. Problem here is your warranty period. Dealer may give the same make as replacement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1310145)
I faced a similar issue with alarm draining battery out in weeks time thanks to wiring goof up.

Yes, it could be this. I was particular about the wiring for the security system being done properly when I got it fitted at the dealer. It could also be that the alarm for your car must have been constantly blaring for a long time and considering the car was in the lower basement, nobody could have heard it.

Tweak the settings of your security system so that the alarm doesn't sound for longer than a few minutes. From the looks of it, it looks like a dead battery.

Cheers,
gpa