Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 16:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift Diesel Clutch Judder!

My Swift Diesel has done 10 k now.At 9400 km i gave the car for service at Sai Service(Andheri) and also complained about a hard clutch pedal.Initially they said its normal.

I complained to maruti regarding this and promptly got a call from Sai Service to bring the car again.

Took the car back, and they replaced the clutch plate and pressure plate under warranty.

Ever since day 1 the clutch judders mildly while picking up in first gear! During the feedback call that they gave i mentioned this to them and was asked to come back.

I live in ghatkopar and the Sai service is in andheri and its difficult to go there all the time in such terrific traffic!

Please suggest what could be wrong ? The car has done 650 km on this new clutch and still it judders mildly in 1st gear while picking it up.

I dont want to end up with the judder increasing as the kilometers pass.
Also on my old clutch and pressure plate the clutch never used to judder!

Solutions please !
Old 25th May 2009, 10:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The no.1 cause of clutch judder is a bad marriage between your flywheel and the clutch. Sai Service needs to revisit their install, they haven't done a perfect job.

BTW, Sai service is pretty pathetic in their quality of service. Why not have someone more competent (like a Vitesse) attend to your car?
Old 25th May 2009, 11:12   #3
BHPian

Humyum do let me know what happens today at Vitesse. As discussed we will get to a solution jointly. If not here Navnit good luck.
Old 25th May 2009, 11:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

The pressure plate could be an issue. Maybe all the fingers don't move the same.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Swifts D has this issue, if you release it gradually holding the clutch it will judder. If you release in on straight go no judder. The hydrolic circuit bleeding helps a lil.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Swifts D has this issue, if you release it gradually holding the clutch it will judder. If you release in on straight go no judder. The hydrolic circuit bleeding helps a lil.
Even i thought too earlier, but in my earlier clutch after the bleed was done whatever i did, it never used to judder!

Yes on a straight release there is no judder but then how come in the earlier clutch there was no judder with the mildest of mild releases ?

Releasing the clutch straight in traffic makes the car leap forward because of the torque and thats why i have been releasing it lightly during traffic and ola there is judder, a mild one though!
Old 25th May 2009, 18:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The no.1 cause of clutch judder is a bad marriage between your flywheel and the clutch. Sai Service needs to revisit their install, they haven't done a perfect job.

BTW, Sai service is pretty pathetic in their quality of service. Why not have someone more competent (like a Vitesse) attend to your car?
Yes, i wish i had gone to Vitesse earlier instead of Sai!
Sai is downright pathetic in their approach + every problem in the car is 'normal' for them!

I have to take my car again to Sai Service as they did the clutch job in the first place. After i am done with this clutch thingy its a forever tata to Sai Service.
Spectra Motors Ghatkopar is equally pathetic!

Ravi Automobiles in Ghatkopar is 'THE GOD' place i ve found as compared to all the service stations i ve been so far but sadely they are a maruti Authorised Service station which do not handle warranty claims. All my cars including the 800 and zen have been there for most of their lives and they always do an A+ job in every department of the car !
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Now the amazing part, GOD SAVE MARUTI and God save Sai service Andheri !

I had been Sai Service Lower Parel with F1fan aka prashant and the service advisor there agreed 'that there should not be judder on a new clutch and this is unsual'

Off i went to Andheri Sai service and the guy there who did my clutch job gave me an hillarious answer 'Sir, accelerator nahi dabaoge clutch chodne ke time toh how will the car pull and fir toh vibrate hoga hi na'

He has never heard of diesel cars i guess 'SIGH at Sai'

He was like even if i change the clutch, this will be there, like they always say at Sai Service Andheri ' EVERYTHING IS NORMAL SIR'

On a recent trip to baroda after highway use, some traffic near surat the juddering increased and everyone in the car noticed the shake while picking up'

My mama is the GM of Hyundai Sales and Service there, he drove the car, had an opinion the flywheel should have been changed with the clutch, he has a friend @ amar motors which is an authorised maruti service station, he drove the car and said yes the flywheel needed to be changed with the clutch.

He was very helpful and said ' that since i ve run the car around 1500 km on the warped flywheel the cluch would have unevenly worn out too' and again the entire set 'cluch plate, pressure plate' along with the flywheel will need to be changed and he was ready to do so under warranty but he did not have the parts in stock!

I asked him ' wont u tell me to go the same place i got this job done from to rectify this problem' ?

His answer 'You can go to ladakh even and complain about a bad job done at a service station in mumbai and the people at ladakh too will have to rectify it without asking a question'

I just need this sorted out asap and I AM NOT GOING TO SAI SERVICE ANDHERI ever again! Its too far firstly and secondly they cant seem to find anything wrong ever anywhere !

I am tired of this clutch issue!

Maruti if you are listening, you are losing out on a customer at 200 kmph!
Old 27th June 2011, 16:26   #9
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel Clutch Judder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Now the amazing part, GOD SAVE MARUTI and God save Sai service Andheri !
Sorry for bumping up an old thread Any update on this issue? I am having clutch jerk/judder issues particularly when the engine is cold. FYI, mine is a 2010 Swift VDi with 14k on ODO. The issue of jerk started happening for the past couple of months, and at times its just turns out scary.
Old 27th June 2011, 16:40   #10
BHPian

My Swift Diesel has done 65,000 kms in the last 4 years. The judder that you are talking about happens with my car too. Normally in the morning (Winter or sumer). Have taked to Service Masters Okhla about this. They say every thing is ok. I am living with it. As Jaggu pointed out I have a habbit of releasing the clutch gradually. Will try his suggestion of realeasing the clutch suddenly tomorrow morning. Lets see what happens.

Last edited by vijit.gangwar : 27th June 2011 at 16:42. Reason: Add some more detail
Old 29th June 2011, 12:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Sorry for bumping up an old thread Any update on this issue? I am having clutch jerk/judder issues particularly when the engine is cold. FYI, mine is a 2010 Swift VDi with 14k on ODO. The issue of jerk started happening for the past couple of months, and at times its just turns out scary.
Well I get a judder too when its cold in the morning but luckily it vanishes away when the engine heats up. It started after they bled the clutch during the service. I dont think they did that really well hence the judder. Anyway it is not consistent and there are some days when it does not come at all. BTW the clutch is 20 thousand kilometers old.

I think you should get the clutch bled and check if the juddering goes away. 99% it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijit.gangwar View Post
My Swift Diesel has done 65,000 kms in the last 4 years. The judder that you are talking about happens with my car too. Normally in the morning (Winter or sumer). Have taked to Service Masters Okhla about this. They say every thing is ok. I am living with it. As Jaggu pointed out I have a habbit of releasing the clutch gradually. Will try his suggestion of realeasing the clutch suddenly tomorrow morning. Lets see what happens.
Yes, if its not a lot of juddering let it pass. I get the morning cold judders too sometimes.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 12:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Well I get a judder too when its cold in the morning but luckily it vanishes away when the engine heats up. It started after they bled the clutch during the service. I dont think they did that really well hence the judder. Anyway it is not consistent and there are some days when it does not come at all. BTW the clutch is 20 thousand kilometers old.

I think you should get the clutch bled and check if the juddering goes away. 99% it should.

Yes, if its not a lot of juddering let it pass. I get the morning cold judders too sometimes.
As you said, I will ask SA to bleed the clutch during next service Regarding the judder, I tried this for the past couple of days.

1) Once the engine starts running, in neutral itself pressed and released the clutch couple of times.
2) Shift the gear
3) Release clutch - After this exercise, I am not experiencing the judder. I think its the moisture accumulated on clutch due to high humidity is causing the issues

Just try and see whether this helps
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks