Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 11:48   #1

Need Help - Esteem Limited Edition

Hi All,

I need some help regarding my Esteem Limited Edition - 2001 which I bought 2 years back (the odo reading was 40,000). I was quite happy with its performance until a few months back.

Here is a list of problems I have:
  1. I feel a sudden pull in my car when accelerating in the 2nd and 3rd gears at speeds between 40 and 60 (with and without the AC).
  2. There is tappeting sound in the car which generally comes when you are driving at low speeds in high gears (which I never do).
  3. The car doesnt move in the first gear when i release the clutch unless i accelerate which is very wierd for a 1.3L engine. But the pick up in the other gears is absolutely fine.
  4. The car engine is over heated even when i travel for a small distance and if the AC is on, the bonnet will suffice as cooking pan.
  5. Is there a way to reduce rattling sounds which comes only when the car is going through ditches? I am not able to understand which part of the interior or exterior is making the rattling sounds.
  6. I need the caps for the alloys as they got worn out. I tried searching in every Maruti showroom in Hyderabad but didt find them. Please let me know if i can get them somewhere.
Here are a few details about the maintenance of the car:
  1. I always service my car at authorized service stations at the odo reading specified by the service center.
  2. I replaced the clutch plates, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter when i bought the car i.e., when the odo reading was around 41,000
  3. The only mistake I did was to use a unbranded middle part of the silencer, which has a cylinder kind of thing. The reason being, it got worn out due to rust and was making too much sound.
I plan to give my car for servicing over the weekend (the odo reading is 64,000), so any inputs from you guys will be appreciated for better performance of my car. The only expectation I have from my car is I want my Esteem to be a 1.3L - 85 BHP machine.

Last edited by mithun.pentuker : 25th May 2009 at 11:52.
Old 25th May 2009, 16:03   #2

Experts, be kind enough to help me out before my thread becomes a history.
Old 25th May 2009, 23:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Here is a list of problems with possibly preliminary solutions.

1. I feel a sudden pull in my car when accelerating in the 2nd and 3rd gears at speeds between 40 and 60 (with and without the AC).

Meaining pull on sideways? The first thing that should be checked is wheel balance. And bend wheels.

If you meant by jerk while accelerating. May be you are hard footed and do a granny shiifting.

Or maybe the timing is abnormal.

2. There is tappeting sound in the car which generally comes when you are driving at low speeds in high gears (which I never do).

This is what we call knocking. Just get your car tuned, clean air filters petrol filters etc. Clean S.plugs. The usual stuff.

3. The car doesnt move in the first gear when i release the clutch unless i accelerate which is very wierd for a 1.3L engine. But the pick up in the other gears is absolutely fine.

Same as above. your idle rpm is very low.

4. The car engine is over heated even when i travel for a small distance and if the AC is on, the bonnet will suffice as cooking pan.

Check coolant level. radiator cap and thermostat valve.

5. Is there a way to reduce rattling sounds which comes only when the car is going through ditches? I am not able to understand which part of the interior or exterior is making the rattling sounds.

First thing is strip your car of all your belongings. mats, spare tyre, emty the glove box. and drive and find the exact place where ratttle is comming from.
Find a good body builder/denter.

6. I need the caps for the alloys as they got worn out. I tried searching in every Maruti showroom in Hyderabad but didt find them. Please let me know if i can get them somewhere

Cap for alloy?? or steel wheel.

7. I always service my car at authorized service stations at the odo reading specified by the service center.

Good thing.

8. I replaced the clutch plates, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter when i bought the car i.e., when the odo reading was around 41,000

What is the oddo now. And was clutch bearing and related parts changed with the clutch. and how skilled was the mechanic.

A friend of mine was complaining about the same jerk while changing the clutch. i opened it up to find half of the bolts was not properly bolted on the flywheel.

9. The only mistake I did was to use a unbranded middle part of the silencer, which has a cylinder kind of thing. The reason being, it got worn out due to rust and was making too much sound.

That unbranded middle part is very important and expensive. If i am thinking the one its is. Its called catalytical converter. Its about 13k

If you meant by the muffler, its about 5.5k. both are MGP price.

Last edited by SirAlec : 25th May 2009 at 23:18.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
9. The only mistake I did was to use a unbranded middle part of the silencer, which has a cylinder kind of thing. The reason being, it got worn out due to rust and was making too much sound.

That unbranded middle part is very important and expensive. If i am thinking the one its is. Its called catalytical converter. Its about 13k

The middle part in an Esteem is not the cat con! The order in Esteem is - Catcon > Middle silencer > End silencer. Can't recall what they are called.

The middle part of is all rusy in my Esteem and now the long exit pipe has also ruptured. Went to get it changed at the MASS, but the part was not in stock. They ordered it. Quoted price - Rs. 2,400.
Old 27th May 2009, 16:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Here is a list of problems with possibly preliminary solutions.

Meaining pull on sideways? The first thing that should be checked is wheel balance. And bend wheels.

If you meant by jerk while accelerating. May be you are hard footed and do a granny shiifting.

Or maybe the timing is abnormal.

I believe timing is abnormal. So what do i do for this issue?

This is what we call knocking. Just get your car tuned, clean air filters petrol filters etc. Clean S.plugs. The usual stuff.

Same as above. your idle rpm is very low.

Check coolant level. radiator cap and thermostat valve.

The coolant level and radiator cap are fine. Need to check what the thermostat valve is as I never heard of it.

First thing is strip your car of all your belongings. mats, spare tyre, emty the glove box. and drive and find the exact place where ratttle is comming from.
Find a good body builder/denter.

6. I need the caps for the alloys as they got worn out. I tried searching in every Maruti showroom in Hyderabad but didt find them. Please let me know if i can get them somewhere

Cap for alloy?? or steel wheel.

The Limited Edition Esteem has a typical alloy wheel with a cap which covers the nuts on the alloy. So i need these caps.

7. I always service my car at authorized service stations at the odo reading specified by the service center.

Good thing.

8. I replaced the clutch plates, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter when i bought the car i.e., when the odo reading was around 41,000

What is the oddo now. And was clutch bearing and related parts changed with the clutch. and how skilled was the mechanic.

The oddo is 64,000 now and all the related parts of the clutch were changed and got it done in MASS.

A friend of mine was complaining about the same jerk while changing the clutch. i opened it up to find half of the bolts was not properly bolted on the flywheel.

I meant the muffler and i bought an unbrander one for 1.8K, not very sure of the MGP price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks