Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 15:17   #1
BHPian

About front end Alignment in Santro

Hi BHPians

I went for Looking 2nd hand Santro Xings yesterday and in two cars I noticed that

1. Front Left Tyre (looking at car from front) has much More Tread Wornout on the Inner side upto 2.5 inches width . The Tread on outward side was less wornout

2. Front right Tyre and both Rear tyres in both of those cars had Tread Worn out evenly across the entire Width of Tyre

3. My doubt is that why similar anamoly on both cars ?

4. Is it due to mis Alignment or there is Problem with Camber angle of Front wheel ?

5. Can this defect be removed in commonly available computerised Wheel alignment shops ?
If not shud I remove those 2 cars from my Consideration
Old 1st June 2009, 20:34   #2
BHPian

I had (or rather I think I still have) a similar problem with my Santro from the time I took delivery only thing it was on front right. Time and again I did alignment and work and feel it is kinda sorted out but it ate a good part of my tire ( in fact all 4, kept rotating till I could find the problem).
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its mis-aligned wheel alright, but misalignment has many root cause. Check if it has any accidental history.

alignment can be done easily but if it had a hit, its an expensive affair, and very skill foreman will only be able to rectify this upto 95% factory specs.

BTW this kind of wear is common in front wheel drive cars. But this can be countered by timely rotation of all 4/5 tyres after every 5k kms. Plus turning inside to outside after say every 15k kms.
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:42   #4
BHPian

Thanks for suggestion

Hi Siralec/ Jobinjv
Thanks for ur Suggestions

I had a talk with two mechanics of different Hyundai *** Centres

1. One of them said that it may be a Normal Misalignment case OR may be that Pinion assembly damage if Car dived into a deep pothole.
He suggested to do Under-chassis inspection in any Hyundai Workshop to Pin-point the cause.

2. Another one said that Lower left Arm may be bent upon Hitting at high speed pothole ,divider etc

That said I will Lower down their Preference to Least even though other aspects of those two cars are quite good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its mis-aligned wheel alright, but misalignment has many root cause. Check if it has any accidental history.

alignment can be done easily but if it had a hit, its an expensive affair, and very skill foreman will only be able to rectify this upto 95% factory specs.

BTW this kind of wear is common in front wheel drive cars. But this can be countered by timely rotation of all 4/5 tyres after every 5k kms. Plus turning inside to outside after say every 15k kms.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

'pinnion assembly' . Is that steering system he is talking about.

When lower trailing arm takes a hit and its bend, there is a chance of the mount (where trailing arm fits) being bend also.

So do a thorough check.

a simplest check is as follows.

1.Steer the car straight, park on a levelled surface.

2.check how many fingers fits between tyre and wheel arch. and compare the both.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:57   #6
BHPian

in case our uneven tyre worn out, that can be made out by looking at the tyres on a levelled surface in most cases.

mostly a arm or suspension or the wheel assembly need to be checked and aligned / replaced accordingly.

Check underbody thoroughly, inspect with the help of a good mechanic

All the best
Old 12th December 2013, 09:15   #7
BHPian

Dear all
I drive a Santro 2011 model. Two months back I had my front tyres replaced for new apollo aceleres and subsequently alignment and balancing done at a reputed service centre. However I noticed the car pulling towards the left only after a few days. So last month I went to another tyre station and asked for an alignment job. The service mechanic after putting my vehicle on an alignment bay said that alignment would not be possible in my car and that the suspension needs to be checked at an authorized service centre. But surprisingly later he said he would try to do something about it and he actually completed the wheel alignment a few minutes later. He even adjusted my steering. I kept asking him if I need to get the suspension checked now but he repeatedly said no. But I am confused since that day and hence need your advice on this.
Old 19th December 2013, 14:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: About front end Alignment in Santro

@ shahbaz.k
If you can post the wheel alignment report and post it more experienced users will be able to tell you more.
Sometimes due to worn suspension the front wheel camber (not adjustable in Santro) is beyond limits, some wheel alignment mechanics increase the toein. This stops the pulling, but your tyres will wear out faster, and tyres will also run hotter.
If there is a fault in the lower arm or strut it is better to replace the component.

Rahul
Old 19th December 2013, 15:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
@ shahbaz.k
If you can post the wheel alignment report and post it more experienced users will be able to tell you more.
Sometimes due to worn suspension the front wheel camber (not adjustable in Santro) is beyond limits, some wheel alignment mechanics increase the toein. This stops the pulling, but your tyres will wear out faster, and tyres will also run hotter.
If there is a fault in the lower arm or strut it is better to replace the component.

Rahul
Thanks Rahul.
I don't have the wheel alignment report with me but I guess i would be better off getting the suspension checked in the first instance at HASS on my next service. Will do that in a few days.
Old 19th December 2013, 15:31   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: About front end Alignment in Santro

Ask them to take an alignment report first and see if anything is off the limits. Then decide if the car needs a suspension job, assuming your car suspension is otherwise fine.
Old 19th December 2013, 15:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ask them to take an alignment report first and see if anything is off the limits. Then decide if the car needs a suspension job, assuming your car suspension is otherwise fine.
Thanks for the advice, will surely do the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks