Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Swift VDi - Spring noise in shock absorbers

Hi Guys, I own a Swift VDi (5400km done).

Recently, i have started observing spring noise, when i go over a hump or some uneven surface, where shock absorbers are supposed to be working...

The source can be heard, if i turn off the AC, rollup all windows and without any noise. Its not the usual noise, but i can clearly makeout that its the noise of the spring... some kind of a metal noise...

Any of you facing similar problem?
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

What kind of noise is it? Metal to metal rubbing sound, thuds or is it woosh woosh kinda sound?

Its normal to make woosh woosh sound, which is the shockies working. If its grinding noise, first clean the wheel wells thoroughly to rule out any mud/stones stuck on the suspension parts.
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:25   #3
BHPian

Do you have rear parcel tray installed? If yes then it also causes a spring like sound when it goes over rough roads... It's the sound of plastic rubbing against plastic trim...
Best option is to let someone drive your car for a while and you sit on the rear seat.... to figure out where exactly the sound comes from
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

I got my VDi on 18th April this year. After 900 kms, I started getting this sound on every speed breaker from my front left shock absorber, like we used to fill air in a football/bicycle with a hand pump.

In the first service, told the service advisor (Rana Motors, Delhi) about it. He did oiling, etc but of no use. He wanted more time bit I had a busy schedule that time, so cannot blame him.

Later on, even on the standing car, if I push the car down from front left side with my hands, I could listen that sound.

Then I went to Apra, Gurgaon. SA again opened the tyre, shock absorber did oiling, greasing, replaced a small part (don't remember its name) and said its done.

The sound was reduced significantly but not vanished completely.

I took him for TD, made him listen that specific sound. Then he replaced the shock absorber finally and I am happy customer now.

May be one complete lot of shock absorbers is faulty if you also bought it around that time and you are getting same type of sound.
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:48   #5
BHPian

even i face the same issue. usually washing and greasing of the struts does it before it rains again.
cleaning of the wheel well and oil + greasing will be a good solution. not permanent though!
Old 4th June 2009, 00:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What kind of noise is it? Metal to metal rubbing sound, thuds or is it woosh woosh kinda sound?

Its normal to make woosh woosh sound, which is the shockies working. If its grinding noise, first clean the wheel wells thoroughly to rule out any mud/stones stuck on the suspension parts.
yo jaggu

many years back i had an Integra, we dont hear woosh woosh sound from those cars, or, we probably dont hear same sound from lets say an accord or corolla.

Any idea? i really dont feel confortable with this style of shock design - cheap stuff?

or is it gas filled instead of oil filled. I also wonder if they are really gas/oil filled, then we shouldnt be hearig any sound at all, as if Wooosh sound is an indication of leaking air.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:38   #7
BHPian

Even I had faced such a problem on the VDi with a creaking noise from the front left shock, only at speeds above 60kmph. During the 20000km service I had asked them to inspect it and after the service the noise seems to be gone. I guess just tightening the system was enough as they haven't mentioned anything else done.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

dont touch the shocks if they make woosh woosh, football air fill kinda sound. Its normal sign that shockies are working. heard clearly when you have a wall reverberating the sound back to you while driving slowly over bumps

Hope the guys who reported didnt pay for this!

Most new cars have this sound, if you listen carefully!
Old 10th June 2009, 00:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
....Most new cars have this sound, if you listen carefully!
My Swift has done 38K km and still makes the woosh. Does this mean that I am a careful driver and have preserved the shocks well, or should I start to worry?
Old 10th June 2009, 17:41   #10
Team-BHP Support

Your car shokies are working they way it should, dont sweat
Old 10th June 2009, 21:48   #11
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu! Thats a weight off.
I am careful, but not overly so. The shocks have taken some amount of abuse, but still feel pretty good. QC at MUL seems to be doing a decent job. Perhaps I should work at destroying the shocks so I have an excuse to put in Bilsteins .
Old 4th December 2015, 08:02   #12

Re: Swift VDi - Spring noise in shock absorbers

Hello everyone!

I have a 2007 Swift VDI with 62k kms on the Odo. Even I face a similar problem. i use Wurth HC synthetic 5 W 40 oil for the car. I also got the suspension replaced at around 45k kms. Also changed all 4 shocks (not the mounts or the coil spring). However the car continues to make thud noises on broken roads like it has been put to really rough use. Part of the problem is also the back tray which was fitted aftermarket while getting my speakers upgraded. But minus that too there is so much rattle that it feels like a really unkempt vehicle. Is there anything specific I can do to get rid of the problem
Old 4th December 2015, 08:08   #13

Re: Swift VDi - Spring noise in shock absorbers

apologies it is a 2008 swift vdi . however the problem is the same

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks