Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 09:58   #1
BHPian

Poor pick up in Indica

I have a 2002 Indica DLS done 72K kms, for past few days I have noticed that its pick up with A/C is pathetic. At times it seems that it can stall any moment when moving in stop and go traffic with A/C on even in lower gears like 1st and 2nd. Car has never been treated with Flush or any such chemical and oil change has been done at regular 5000 intervals. Can anybody guide me what needs to be done to make it better mover with A/C on in low gears.

Thanks !
Old 9th June 2009, 10:39   #2
BHPian

One word answer...

"Nothing"

Indica is an extremly underpowered ( I own an Indica) car...all you do is get used to it...

I am surprised you are experiencing it now...was it any different in the past?

Reagrds
Old 9th June 2009, 10:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
I have a 2002 Indica DLS done 72K kms, for past few days I have noticed that its pick up with A/C is pathetic. At times it seems that it can stall any moment when moving in stop and go traffic with A/C on even in lower gears like 1st and 2nd.
Can be clutch issue. Since it has run 72K kms, and you are feeling as if it is going to stall at 1st and 2nd gears. How is the car revving? Is it revving more and pulling less? Then clutch can be the culprit.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
One word answer...

I am surprised you are experiencing it now...was it any different in the past?

Reagrds
Maybe because now I have bought other vehicle Baleno which performs much better and Indica acts as contract to it in terms of power loss with A/C on.

Still, I think it was not that bad earlier. Maybe its getting worse with its age.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

When was the air filter last changed? Usually thats the culprit. Otherwise she may be coming up for a Fuel Pump overhaul.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
Can be clutch issue. Since it has run 72K kms, and you are feeling as if it is going to stall at 1st and 2nd gears. How is the car revving? Is it revving more and pulling less? Then clutch can be the culprit.
This could be the issue as car shudders also when moving from first gear. Revving more and pulling less does not seems to be an issue as revs are very low even with pressure on accelartor with A/C on at low gears. Once car moves to around 40-50 then it seems to pull well with A/C on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When was the air filter last changed? Usually thats the culprit. Otherwise she may be coming up for a Fuel Pump overhaul.
Air filter was changed 1000 kms and 2 months back. Tanveer can you guide me about how to check if it is coming for fuel pump overhaul and good place to get it done in NCR.

Thanks for the replies !

Edit - Sorry for asking this but for changing forks..do I need to ask mechanic for it specifically or it is included in clutch plate replacement.

Last edited by Sang : 9th June 2009 at 11:32. Reason: Edit
Old 9th June 2009, 11:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

There is no easy way to check for Fuel pump. Usually there is some missing.
you say car almost stalls. If clutch was faulty, you would have engine revving and speed not increasing.
However if you are experiencing clutch judder under load, i.e. car hiccups on high load, the clutch may indeed be the culprit. It is sorted out by changing the fork.
However it may be case of perception since you bought the baleno.
Old 9th June 2009, 14:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

since you have completed 72 thousand KM, you need to get the clutch cheeked and /or replaced if necessary [usually needed]. and get the fuel pump serviced and adjusted [recommended by TATA at 70000 KM]. this will solve some part of the pickup problem. I own one.
Try the electric pump set done elsewhere on the forum if you do not want to service the pump.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:50   #9
BHPian

Hi.
I think you need to overhaul your FIP. Get it done only at an authorized service center by TVS- Lucas.
Clutch could also be an issue specially if you have pulled it so long- usually it wears out earlier.

Most Viewed