Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is the temperature gauge a necessity?
Yes 447 92.93%
No 34 7.07%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 10:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

Yes off course i need one to continuously monitor my vehicle's temperature.
even if needle is 1 deg off the mark it should be sounds like trouble to me
Old 18th June 2009, 10:35   #47
Team-BHP Support

I find the implementation of temperature guage in most vehicles pretty faulty.
Basically, if your coolant overheats you get a warning.
However if you lose coolant, your engine(modern engine) will go into limp mode, and your temp guage will stick to half way mark.
The reasons is that the sensor is not good at "air" temp.
For example in case of safari coolant temp is supposed to be 96 degrees approx.
In my case as I lost most of coolant, it went to 115 degrees. However temp guage was at half mark since that sensor sits high up.
Only on connecting laptop it was discovered that coolant temp is so high.
Same problem with all cars.
So a good old temp guage will tell your engine is overheating.only if you loose the fans.

That said, something is better than nothing
Old 18th June 2009, 10:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Where and how is this temp measured?

For the situation described by you there is no easy fix. A flow sensor needs to be added to the system, apart from the temperature sensor.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:54   #49
BANNED

And oh, I forgot to add - if the meter is dysfunctional, I know, because it would not move; if the indicator lamp / buzzer is dysfunctional, my pocket will know.

Errr.. is that why ....
Old 18th June 2009, 10:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find the implementation of temperature guage in most vehicles pretty faulty.
Basically, if your coolant overheats you get a warning.
However if you lose coolant, your engine(modern engine) will go into limp mode, and your temp guage will stick to half way mark.
The reasons is that the sensor is not good at "air" temp.
For example in case of safari coolant temp is supposed to be 96 degrees approx.
In my case as I lost most of coolant, it went to 115 degrees. However temp guage was at half mark since that sensor sits high up.
Same problem with all cars.
So a good old temp guage will tell your engine is overheating.only if you loose the fans.

That said, something is better than nothing
Don't give such a general statement my friend.
My OHC Vtec had a scuffle, which lead to the coolant leak.
I had to drive from my friend's house to my house (7km), keeping an eye on the temp gauge all the time (revving as low as possible, swithcing off engine whenever possible). And by the time I reached my house, the needle was inching close to red.

Of course you may come back saying OHC is not entirely modern.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

voted yes,

consider both the voltmeter and the temp guage important.

dont mean to go off topic on this thread, but why was voltmeter discarded from the new gen cars? hardly get to see it in any new car.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:06   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Where and how is this temp measured?

For the situation described by you there is no easy fix. A flow sensor needs to be added to the system, apart from the temperature sensor.
This sensor sits lower(apparently). As there was some coolant, it could measure the temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Don't give such a general statement my friend.
My OHC Vtec had a scuffle, which lead to the coolant leak.
I had to drive from my friend's house to my house (7km), keeping an eye on the temp gauge all the time (revving as low as possible, swithcing off engine whenever possible). And by the time I reached my house, the needle was inching close to red.

Of course you may come back saying OHC is not entirely modern.
the sensor must be sitting low down, so it could measure temp from residual coolant.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:53   #53
BHPian

Not all coolant temp sensors are equal

Quote:
I find the implementation of temperature guage in most vehicles pretty faulty. Basically, if your coolant overheats you get a warning. However if you lose coolant, your engine(modern engine) will go into limp mode, and your temp guage will stick to half way mark. The reasons is that the sensor is not good at "air" temp. For example in case of safari coolant temp is supposed to be 96 degrees approx. In my case as I lost most of coolant, it went to 115 degrees. However temp guage was at half mark since that sensor sits high up. Only on connecting laptop it was discovered that coolant temp is so high. Same problem with all cars. So a good old temp guage will tell your engine is overheating.only if you loose the fans. That said, something is better than nothing
Well, I can confirm (from experience) that this is true - at least for the F10D engined Altos (& maybe for WagonRs & Estilos too). The temp sensor seems to work only if its surrounded by coolant, if you have a coolant circuit leak or rupture & lose all your coolant, the temp gauge will give no indication of increased temperatures. I guess certain coolant sensors require to be surrounded by coolant to sense temperature correctly.

P.S. - I'm not sure if the temp gauge can become "conditioned" over time & hence not show increased temperatues...

Last edited by im_srini : 18th June 2009 at 11:54.
Old 18th June 2009, 13:34   #54
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I prefer analog gauges for speedo, tacho and temp gauge. Why ? Because in case of analog, we just have to glance at the panel to know what is the speed of car and/or engine or what is the temp.
I prefer analog guages as well. A glance at it, is sufficient to get the required info/readings.
Old 18th June 2009, 13:43   #55
BHPian

It will be nice if somebody lets us know the positioning of temp gauges in different cars.
Old 19th June 2009, 09:56   #56
BANNED

I see no harm in this.

I think the temperature gauge is going the way the Oil Pressure Gauge went. At one time (in the 70s) Ferraris gave the oil pressure gauge (Olio) the pride of place in the dash. This was the largest gauge flanked by the Speedo and Tacho.

I quite liked the idea used in the Alfasud. The light lit up when the engine was cold, and again if it overheated.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

A temp gauge is a must. And an analog one is easier to read than a digital one. Just like most people find it easier to glance at an analog watch to read time, rather than one with a digital display.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:44   #58
BANNED

I thhink thre are two issues here.

1. Do we like a proper temperature display: The answer from any auto enthusiast is an unconditional YES.

2. Is it really required: I think with modern engines it is not really required. The average driver has no need for it, and may not even understand it.

I know of a driver (very highly educated - an IIT Professor, no less) whose brake warning light lit up, and he kept on driving for quite a few days, until he had a brake failure (fortunately no mishap).
Old 19th June 2009, 16:15   #59
Senior - BHPian

Come to think of it, motorbikes don't have temperature gauges do they? Yet it seems to be a non-issue for bikers.
Old 19th June 2009, 17:27   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Come to think of it, motorbikes don't have temperature gauges do they? Yet it seems to be a non-issue for bikers.
That is because you are talking about air-cooled motorbikes. I think Liquid-cooled motorbikes do come with temp gauges. I remember Yamaha R1 having water temp gauge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks