Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:54   #16
BHPian

Hello all,
I own a 2002 model Zen AX and am experiencing AC problems. It is not cooling the cabin effectively. At times it is warm and at times its cool. Car has clocked 53,500km. AC is used 50% of the time. After going through this thread I have decided to get the following checked:-

> If there is dirt clogged in condenser
> If Receiver-Drier is choked
> Expansion Valve check
> If cooling coil is clogged with dirt
> Compressor belt check. Hopefully its not gone for a toss!

I have fixed an appointment with SS Cooling, behind Shawar Nissan off Queens Road for Saturday, at 11am. Now I have the following queries:-

> Has anyone ever tried SS Cooling. Or should I go to MAAS ( nearest to my house is MARS, Sanjay Nagar)
> What is the life of Zen's compressor.
> If compressor is conked, where can i get a refurbished one
> Anything else i need to include in my checklist!

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:39   #17
BHPian

I had similar issues in my Santro Zip+ 2002 model which has completed 75k kms. I got the A/c condenser cleaned and refilled Gas at Aditya Car Ac in Jayanagar. Charges for the service rendered was Rs 1,100. Its working fine now.

This was the first time i had issues with A/c since i bought the car.I was told that Gas needs to be checked/refilled every 6 months.

Aditya Car Ac centers are in Koramangala and Jayanagar(beside Next Showroom), Their contact numbers are 08026596759 and 9845059625.

Hope this helps.
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
My 2006 Zen VXi has done close to 40,000 kms with almost 100% AC on. Since the onset of summer (it is 45 deg here in Nagpur), the AC is not able to cool the cabin even after a 15 km run. I checked the refrigerant level and it is full. I can see the refrigerant gas boil through the glass window under the hood, and I also had it checked with Cool World, Nagpur, who confirmed that the refrigerant is full. I also had the cooling coils cleaned at 35,000 kms and the whole blower, ducts, radiator coils, etc are generally dust free.

I am now begining to suspect that my AC compressor has become weak and therefore the cooling is reduced. How do I confirm this? Can the compressor be re-conditioned? Are there any seals that need to be replaced over time? Will reducing the refrigerant pressure help? The compressor runs continously and does not cut-off, as the grill temperature does not drop significantly. I need to fix the AC soon as it has become impossible to drive the car in the afternoons! And with the monsoon nowhere in sight, it looks like another fortnight of opressive heat.
Any pointers, suggestions, solutions, welcome

I have a Zen LXi so fully understand how frustrating the a/c can be..

With a temp. like 45 deg, it will anyway be difficult for an a/c and that too a low-powered one that Zen has to cool the cabin fast or to maintain it at a pleasant temp.

Zen by itself has a weak a/c and changing the a/c compressor itself isn't a very advisable solution; so this is something you can't help..
What you can do is have a fairly dark (and yet RTO approved) sun film for the windows.
You can try this : the moment you sit in the car, open all the windows and drive this way for a short while (100-200m) to let the warm air out.. then roll the glass up and start the a/c. I've tried this in Gurgaon (similar ~45 deg temp) and it helps..

Of course, keep the refrigerant (a/c gas) level at optimum level.
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
newcoolgadgets,

The Zen has a 80cc compressor so a lot of components wil have to be changed, say, if you upgrade to an Alto's 117 cc compressor.[/b]
Any idea how many cc is the A Star A/C compressor??
Old 24th October 2010, 01:13   #20
BANNED

If you really want good cooling swap the Zen compressor pulley with esteem compressor pulley.As far as i recall they are same compressor but Size of pulley is different.
But yes you will load the engine a bit more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks