Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2009, 15:39   #1
BHPian

Wagon R - Rear wheel bearing broken

Hi all,

I have a 4 yrs old Wagon R, done 27K kilometers till now. I gave the car for annual service today. I received a call from the MASS sometime back informing me that one of the rear wheel bearings is to be replaced (cost about Rs950).
My question is, how would I make out when something like this happen? My car has been largely problem free all these while except for a few door rattlings and no other strange noises!

Now would it be safer to replace all 4 wheel bearings? What are the usual reasons for this to happen? I usually drive in the city only. A few months back I had done high jump over one of the Bangalore humps at about 45km/h :( Could this have caused this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th June 2009, 18:08   #2
BHPian

if you replace just the broken one, it won't matter, it would have been different had you clocked more kilometers.

No, the jump would not have caused it, looks like a one off incident , bearings usually die due to lack of lubrication or being driven hard over bad roads regularly.

You might be able to buy the bearing from a SKF distributor/shop for less(doubt if your MASS would agree to do that, unless you carry it in).
Old 24th June 2009, 18:40   #3
BHPian

The title of this thread scared me for a moment - bearings generally don't "break" (unless you ignore the noise/wobble and other symptoms that indicate a worn out bearing).

Don't worry about it - just change the one that is bad - they often last more that 1L km's.
Old 24th June 2009, 20:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The title of this thread scared me for a moment - bearings generally don't "break" (unless you ignore the noise/wobble and other symptoms that indicate a worn out bearing).

Don't worry about it - just change the one that is bad - they often last more that 1L km's.
Thanks Techno & CrackHead

"Broke" is the word used by the mechanic, and I sort of got a shock not knowing what exactly is a wheel bearing!
Got my car back and looks like everything is alright again
Old 24th June 2009, 22:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

27k is too low a mileage for the bearing to go kaput.Did you drive through flooded roads or was the car ever in say 1.5ft deep water?
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:28   #6
BHPian

The rear wheel bearing does not usually break, the symptoms of an aging bearing can be noticed by the humming sound coming the rear when driving at high speeds.

I just changed one for my esteem, so my thoughts on this.
Old 3rd July 2009, 18:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
27k is too low a mileage for the bearing to go kaput.Did you drive through flooded roads or was the car ever in say 1.5ft deep water?
I have not driven the car on flooded roads in the recent past. But I used to drive on a very muddy and flooded road an year ago (for almost 6 months continuously).

I checked with the Maruti technician again and he confirmed that it is not broken, but was giving out the "humming".
Old 3rd July 2009, 21:12   #8
BANNED

I guess he is referring to a badly worn out bearing. I would not make judgement unless I can handle the bearign in question myself. It would be better to stick to advice given by the SA.

It may work out cheaper to get a bearing (they are usually standard - like tyres), from a bearing dealer - like SKF, FAG or NBC. If it is worn out,

I think you should ask the SA about how he got around to notice it (like whether scope of service involved opening up the wheel), and what he has done to ensure that the bearings in the other wheels are not worn out.

Also, insist that you get back the worn out parts.
Old 4th July 2009, 19:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I guess he is referring to a badly worn out bearing. I would not make judgement unless I can handle the bearign in question myself. It would be better to stick to advice given by the SA.

It may work out cheaper to get a bearing (they are usually standard - like tyres), from a bearing dealer - like SKF, FAG or NBC. If it is worn out,

I think you should ask the SA about how he got around to notice it (like whether scope of service involved opening up the wheel), and what he has done to ensure that the bearings in the other wheels are not worn out.

Also, insist that you get back the worn out parts.
Thanks! I didnot ask all these questions when I took back my vehicle. I think it's too late to go back and ask for the worn out parts now.
Anyways I have completed a 1000km trip since then and the vehicle is just fine. I am pretty that the car gave about 19km/litre on this trip. The max I could squeeze out before was 16 on highways. I am just wondering if this has anything to do with the breaings!
Old 4th July 2009, 22:49   #10
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I am pretty that the car gave about 19km/litre on this trip. The max I could squeeze out before was 16 on highways. I am just wondering if this has anything to do with the breaings!
Its highly unlikely that the bearing could be the reason for low FE. Its quite possible that the brakes were binding which was checked and rectified at the service which led to an increase in the overall FE.
Old 1st May 2012, 20:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Indigo LS - Front Left Wheel Bearing Noise.

There is some noise coming from Left side front end (might be wheel bearing) at speeds more than 50-60kph. The noise is not from Engine or Gearbox since the noise continues even if the gear is neutral and car is switched off (at speeds >50-60kph).
On showing to a mechanic, he lifted the front left wheel on a jack and rotated the wheel and told me to hold my hand at the bottom of Coil Spring of the Strut and asked if I could feel vibrations. There were vibrations. He told that the Front Left Wheel Bearing has worn out and needs to be replaced.

I have not checked the right side Wheel Bearing for vibrations. Also there is no noise from right side at speed.
I will check right side for vibrations tomorrow and update.

For FWD, is the Front Wheel Bearing separate or is a part of Drive Shaft?
I had replaced the Left Drive Shaft @50-60KKms ago.

I have enquired the cost of Wheel Bearing which is around Rs.900/- and labour is Rs.300/-

Please guide on this.

EDIT after DevilsCry reply:-
The sound is ghhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrr (worn out Bearing).

Also the car was switched off only once and that too on an open road after taking enough safety precautions.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 1st May 2012 at 20:46.
Old 1st May 2012, 20:41   #12
BHPian

Re: Indigo LS - Front Left Wheel Bearing Noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
There is some noise coming from Left side front end (might be wheel bearing) at speeds more than 50-60kph. The noise is not from Engine or Gearbox since the noise continues even if the gear is neutral and car is switched off (at speeds >50-60kph).
If the noise increases in proportion to the speed then yes, the bearing needs replacement. The sound should be something like "clack clack clack". The frequency of 'clacking' sound increases with speed.

Btw, please don't attempt switching off the engine at speed of 60kph again. It sounds scary

Edit: Wheel bearing is not part of drive shaft. How many KM has your Wagon R done? Usually bearings have really long life unless damaged by reasons like water getting inside.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 1st May 2012 at 20:43. Reason: Edit in the post
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 21:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

@DevilsCry..
Sir,
You did not see the heading of my post. Its Indigo LS.

@all..
The car has run 2,34,470kms. I don't know if its been subjected to any flood.
On average, how many kms of life does a Wheel Bearing have?
One more thing, I forgot to mention that the Front Wheel Bearings (both sides- left and right) are OE and have not been replaced yet.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 1st May 2012 at 21:51.
Old 1st May 2012, 22:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
You did not see the heading of my post. Its Indigo LS.
Sorry, I never read post heading, only thread heading

Quote:
On average, how many kms of life does a Wheel Bearing have? One more thing, I forgot to mention that the Front Wheel Bearings (both sides- left and right) are OE and have not been replaced yet.
depending on type of usage, wheel bearings last 70k-1lac km on average.

The cost quoted by the service is reasonable. Most companies loot a lot for a little thing like wheel bearing. You can also ask a local garage to change your wheel bearing. It is fairly simple and they will do it as good as T.A.S.S. I have changed wheel bearing in my Premier Padmini myself once.
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 22:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wagon R - Rear wheel bearing broken

The cost of Part and Labour are aftermarket and not TASS.
I will update after completing the work on Thursday or Friday as time permits.

Off-Topic--
Actually I went to the mechanic to show him the Oil leakage at around Oil Sump (IIRC the bowl in which the Engine Oil gathers after the it is switched off). He told me that the chamber packing (Oil Sump gasket) has gone kaput and needs to replaced. Also I have the Power Steering Pipe below the reservoir has become too soft and has been bathed with oil too. So that will be replaced as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks