Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 12:38   #1
BHPian

City 1.5zx - Modify Manual to Automatic Tranny??

I have a New Honda City 1.5 zx model and I would like to understand if there is any possibility of converting the Maual transmission into Automatic transmission.

I have the following queries:
1. In case of a transfer of engines, will the driveability, saftey or any other features be compromised, what kindo of adjustments would be required.
2. Where can i purchase an automatic engine, is it possible to buy a new engine and from where?
3. In case i need to import the engine from abraod, which is the ideal country and the approximate rates and model numbers? what could be the import duty rates?
4. Do we have the skills to convert from manual to automatic in chennai, will a honda dealer (captial / tvs sundaram) be able to do the same.

I bascially want to find out the effort, complexit and rate involved in doing the conversion and if it works to be a tedious affair, will then think of buying a new car.

But the honda dimensions being the same for manual and auto, i hope it should be as smple as replacing the engine and gear box with a/t one.

i will decide based on your input ... guys....
Old 7th July 2009, 12:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

My input... if you want an AT car, buy an AT car!
Old 7th July 2009, 14:48   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

+1 to what Thad posted. Better to sell your M/T City and buy a brand new / used AT Honda. Please don't venture in the after-market for such a complex job.

That said, it'll probably be cheaper for you to hire a chauffeur (vis a vis the depreciation on your new car).
Old 7th July 2009, 14:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

sell and buy an new auto. or you can buy a used auto (best option). or save the money and hire a driver (no freedom of travel unless full time).
i know how difficult it was to install an A/C in a non A/C santro. Finally it was not worth the saving s i got on a non a/c Santro. This tranny conversion will be much more worse.

Last edited by kutlee : 7th July 2009 at 15:02.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:33   #5
BHPian

thanks Thad, GTO, Kutlee for the inputs. thought so much about the hassles it could create, but then wanted to have an expert opinion as well.

let me look at other options specified.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:34   #6
BANNED

I would not advise the transmission transplant. You will certainly require chassis mods, new drive shafts (they are different in ATs), may be a new radiator (in case the AT uses an oil cooler), etc. etc. Also, mods to the ECU to match the AT characteristics. Not worth the hassle.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Check out the new 1.4 Petrol AT Hyundai i20.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
sell and buy an new auto. or you can buy a used auto (best option)
Did you mean an autorickshaw or an auto tryanny?

@Ikoneer, kudos for you to even think of such kind of conversion. Even if such a mod is possible and you have the patience, money there is no guarantee it will be full proof.

Simple example, power windows installed aftermarket in a car like santro itself is so much different from factory fitted in terms of operation, finish etc and here we are talking about total gearbox reversion. Phew.

Please buy an automatic version or get a driver. Problem solved
Old 12th August 2009, 14:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Did you mean an autorickshaw or an auto tryanny?
@mobike008:

i realise how silly and complicated the idea is and its dropped. I am now planning to buy an AT now, will finalise and will come back to t-bhp for inputs.

Thanks everyone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks