Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 12:48   #1
BHPian

Hot car in town 7032, M800. on nerves now.

Hi ya all.
I am having this trouble with my M800 from last some time.
First time this happened on a trip uphills as the thermostat was not fine and so the fan was made to run direct without any halt and it broke harming the radiator substantially and so the radiator was changed as well as fan.(non a/c).
Problem now is : Car gets hot even within city. Engine Cuts are spontaneous.
It runs barely 20kms a day ,thrice in a week, and still it gets hot enough to make me halt giving time to engine to catch breath. Vibrations are rising high.

Happened : Coolant was refilled just some 3 weeks earlier i.e. after 12th June and it is now all empty and radiator is on water and in just one run radiator gets dried up (checked for leakages in rad. but its fine) wonder where the water vanishes. Checked engine oil for any water precipitates and fortunately its fine.
Need some breakthroughs on what possibly can be wrong.

Here for some help.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:53   #2
BHPian

Did you check for the leakages in the radiator hose and joints, water pump, Thermostat and the radiator cap?

The leak doesnt really have to be only in the radiator.

See this: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...stem-parts.jpg

Last edited by shreyasma : 7th July 2009 at 12:58.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:28   #3
BANNED

If the radiator is getting empty, there is a leak somewhere.

Park the vehicle on a clean surface, preferably concrete / cement, where you can make out water on the floor. Make sure that there is water in the radiator / reservoir. Check for any leaks with the engine off. If you cannot find, try with the engine running. Pray that you can find out the leak with the engine running.

Still cant find a leak? Accept my condolences. Head gasket could be blown (happened when the engine overheated). Water is escaping as vapour.

To confirm, look at the exhaust.
Old 7th July 2009, 23:45   #4
BHPian

Thanks alot for the help.

Thanks for all the help. Manikjeet was here as soon as he saw the post (a real darling guy). Really helpful guys we have on forum. Taking the cute lil' M800 to mechanic tomorrow morning to get it checked before it starts raining here in Chandigarh. No clues of coolant leakage yet. But yes there was a leakage around lower part of engine as marked in picture. it was there for about some months but I ignored.
Lets see what comes out to be the problem tomorrow.
Hope for the best prepare for the worst.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot car in town 7032, M800. on nerves now.-engine-leakage.jpg  

Old 8th July 2009, 10:34   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I faced the same problem with my M800 and it was traced to a blown head gasket.
Old 9th July 2009, 09:36   #6
BHPian

Hi friends.
Got the cutie checked. Well here is what the problem was: after all searches and discussions with the mechanic i was convinced that he had already assumed that he has to open the head gasket and get it replaced while the actual problem that i forgot to place here was:
Car stops at around the speeds of 60-65 but in some time after a good throttle it started back on the road, Stopped here means fuel supply, the fan was running as it gets hot but it never even touched the half of the temp. gauge. and i thought it was cutting because of overheating. but the damage is done. mechanic opened the head changed gasket and said that there was a crack in the head and it needs to be replaced. Now what? How can i check whether the head is cracked or not? Where he told me the head to be cracked was a place near the valve there is a thin streak as if scratched and I can get my nail through it. Should I get a used head or a New one? and the costs etc. (only if its important to get it changed) I don't actually want to get anything changed in that part of the car just for that someone wants to make money.
(Picture shown below is just indicative and not original)
Got the fuel Pump changed. costs rs. 280 and head new is for rs. 6300 and used is for rs. 1800 after replacement of present one.
Can there be any repairs to the fuel pump and the reason for fuel pump getting non functional?
Attached Thumbnails
Hot car in town 7032, M800. on nerves now.-temp.-level.jpg  

Last edited by reveal_da_zeal : 9th July 2009 at 09:45. Reason: to clarify and a bit of addition.
Old 9th July 2009, 13:49   #7
BANNED

The pic has been watermarked in the crucial places. :-(

Can you take a fresh pic and add some white space at the bottom?

But I cannot figure out how the fuel pump comes into the scene. Hope some expert throws some light on this. Does this vehicle have an ECU?

Edit:- Speaking for myself, I would get a second hand head if the car is more than 5 years old. Repairing the head is out of question for me. But have done it on trucks, which had cast iron heads. Would not do it on a vehicle for personal transport. And I think this is an aluminum head.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 9th July 2009 at 13:52.
Old 9th July 2009, 14:40   #8
BHPian

A similar thing happened to a friend's car some years back. It was a Premier 118NE. Once on a late night drive engine started stalling everytime he crossed 60 kmph. At lower speeds it ran absolutely fine. His mechanic identified it as a pinched fuel line - Fuel lines in a 118NE was metallic and ran along the bottom externally. It got pinched when he scraped a rather tall speed bump. This resulted in reduced fuel flow at higher speed which led to engine stalling due to lack of fuel.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
But I cannot figure out how the fuel pump comes into the scene. Hope some expert throws some light on this. Does this vehicle have an ECU?
And I think this is an aluminum head.
Doesn't have an ECU its a carb. Got the head changed with a used one but still I have doubts why the head was changed. The thing was that car was stalling when it reached speeds of 60-65 and it was not the auto cut as I thought it to be and the reason was an erratic supply from the pump the pump is changed and the car is fine. Along with is a pic of the pump and the post that I come across here on team-bhp about the fuel pump in carb 800.
Yes, this is an aluminium head and so I was asked to change it as there was a crack which was said to be there beacuse of heating up of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot car in town 7032, M800. on nerves now.-maruti800-pump.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 16th July 2009, 00:00   #10
BHPian

Dear friends I need more help.
After the changed head and fuel pump in carb 800 the problem here has risen. Sound is fine and no more vibrations, car starts well in half self as always.
The problem now is engine needs to be revved up more to get in motion in first gear, get to the second and you get the engine loses breath as if it is choking, at the speed below some 30kmph I usually get to the third and it feels like it'll stop right there and every effort to accelerate is proved to be useless and it takes on pace with due time no matter how hard I press accelerator pedal it just do not respond. Lastly the Fourth Gear at a speed of 40kmph the engine almost gives up no more acceleration a very little response against the acceleration pedal. Does not touches the mark of 70kmph that easily as it did before the change of head and fuel pump. I Feel the problem to be with something else but I need suggestions again. Please help. I need my car back alive. I am also thinking to get a new engine if the mechanics here cannot quit cheating.

Sorry if I cannot put the query clearly please ask what you want to.
The only thing is engine is not responding to the accelerator pedal else than just roaring and on turns it starts jerking.
Old 16th July 2009, 23:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

if the car is stationary and if you rev, does it rev fine?
Old 18th July 2009, 10:03   #12
BHPian

Yes it does rev fine but it starts knocking just as it gets in motion for first gear its quite fine but as i advance to second engine knocking increases and also the accelerator pedal acts as if dead. As the third gear is in the car upto a certain point is fine but after 3-5 seconds it again stats knocking and needs to pedal hard to get keep it in motion but then again the pedal after a certain point feels dead and in fourth gear it just asks more and more pressure on pedal to run.
Old 23rd July 2009, 01:31   #13
BHPian

No suggestions from bhpians yet. Thanx.

Most Viewed