Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 21:43   #1

2004 Honda Accord 2.4 AT - Transmission Problem

Folks,

I am new to this forum and wanted your advice on something that happened today. I took my 2004 Accord AT for a 50,000km servicing today and there were a couple of minor issues I had identified like the actuator for the front passenger door lock and the engine overheating at times etc.

The Honda Service Station (Courtesy Honda in Okhla, Delhi) finished most of that and I went back in the evening to pick it up when they suddenly told me there was a problem with the transmission.

Apparently they were doing a final test ride to ensure the heating issue had been fixed etc. and they suddenly told me that my transmission was playing up and apparently for a few minutes they got no power at all from the accelerator and that based on the data from the DTC that they needed to keep it for another day and a half to see if:

a) there was a problem with the transmission fluid
b) there was a problem with some solenoid
c) there was something else major

I didn't have any history of a transmission problem so I am completely confused and not sure whether there is indeed a problem. They also claimed that it could cost anywhere from Rs 2,500 in the case of a) to over Rs 1,00,000 in the case of c). This is a big shock to me so I was wondering whether anybody else on this forum had similar experiences and whether I was missing something and whether I was being taken for a ride.

I am not very knowledgeable technically with cars so your views are very welcome.

Thanks
Old 10th July 2009, 22:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think that particular dealership doesn't have a good reputation here on T-BHP. Whatever their diagnosis, make sure you take the car from them and get it checked over at another dealership and see if they arrive at the same conclusion.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:14   #3

Thank you. That's interesting. I will take it to to Ring Road Honda at Badarpur tomorrow. Is that a good dealership?
Old 9th August 2009, 18:31   #4

Folks,

I had the Auto-Transmission fixed (problem with the clutch and various parts had to be replaced) at a cost of 58k!! Anyway, the car was fine for about 10 days and is still driving well but yesterday I noticed a humming/clicking noise at low rpms as the gears switch till I get to about 60kmh.

Any ideas? Also, can I drive it or will there be a problem?

Thanks
Old 9th August 2009, 21:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Did you get it inspected at a different dealership? I'd get it looked at if you feel like there is a problem still. Can you post a scan of the bill that shows what was replaced?
Old 9th August 2009, 21:27   #6

Immortalz

Thanks. I'll try and post the scan tomorrow. I don't have it just now.

Regards,
Satyaki
Old 14th April 2010, 15:01   #7
BHPian

Could you update us with what happened after? Considering an Accord myself (pre-owned). Thanks.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

the 03/04 accords were infamous for auto transmission problems. the later year accords were much more reliable in this field.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraghunath View Post
Folks,

I had the Auto-Transmission fixed (problem with the clutch and various parts had to be replaced) at a cost of 58k!! Anyway, the car was fine for about 10 days and is still driving well but yesterday I noticed a humming/clicking noise at low rpms as the gears switch till I get to about 60kmh.

Thanks
Hey you have settled the 58k bill pls go back to the honda guys and this is nt Accepted as Honda norm if it is from the gear box .Before drawing your sword confirm wether it is from the gearbox becoause it can be from your axle to as you mention it goes after 60kmph . Check wether that tik tok or humming is more prominent while turning left or right . at night (quitesurroundings ) make a U turn to confirm the same

Last edited by m-hawk : 14th April 2010 at 17:54.
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:07   #10

Re: 2004 Honda Accord 2.4 AT - Transmission Problem

The AT gearbox has a separate differential case which houses the stars and crowns which enable power to the axles, your dealership has not added the gear oil in this unit, they have only replenished the automatic transmission fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraghunath View Post
Folks,

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks