Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 16:02   #1
BHPian

Rusting on Underside of Punto

Dear All,

I have uploaded a few pics of a particular rusted part on the underside of my "yet to be delivered" Punto

The link is : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...booked-14.html

Please have a look at those pics and please let me know what that part is and is so much rusting normal ? (Especially considering the fact that the car is still "new")

I would appreciate replies being posted in the thread where the pics have been uploaded.

Amogh
Old 11th July 2009, 16:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

The rust on the discs are entirely normal. it is there in my linea too. But the exhaust pipes rusting is something i am skeptical.
Old 11th July 2009, 23:00   #3
BANNED

The rust is pretty normal.A friend of mine had gone for PDI check for a Santro he had bought and there were rust on most cars discs and few metal components when we checked other car and this includes Accent , Verna , Santro , I10.This was shown to us by the supervisor and he said it is normal since the car's lie unsed for quite some time before delivery.
This was last year .He got the Santro with few rust signs but they have all cleared off now.
Old 11th July 2009, 23:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

In the image you have posted on the other thread I am able to note that its not only the disc that is rusted. The drive shaft is in rusted along with the tie rod as Amit_mecheng has pointed out. The driveshaft is not supposed to be in this shape in a new car.

Check around 2-3 cars more and then see if all cars are having similar sort of rust of not. Driveshaft are not known to rust so fast, we have M800 and is used badly over water logged roads but it never has shown any rust. Similar for baleno that even after 35K kms is not showing rust.

Either Fiat has skimped on quality or you are being thrown a lemon.
Disc is OK with rust but not other parts that are more than reasonably rusted. If we buy the explanation that as the car is lying unused so there is rust, what will happen somebone keeps the car unused for 30 days.
Old 12th July 2009, 10:45   #5
BHPian

No cause for worry. SLEEP WELL. This happens to ALL cars that have been in the stockyard during the monsoons.

It was noticed on on my FIAT Palio Stile 1.6 on the discs,on the day of delivery.
My friend had pointed it out to me and I was concerned, but the sales man said it is common on all cars.Did not believe him and so checked my friends Maruti Swift which we had travelled in, and when we removed the wheel (his did not have alloys), low and behold, the oxidation was there for all to see.

It goes away after driving around (rolling stone gathers no moss) and with all the underboby washes and what not. But I think you can ask them for some anti-oxidation treatment perhaps.
Old 12th July 2009, 11:20   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

When I brought my Swift, it had rust on many parts including the disc breaks, Engine block bottom segment, mounts, also like the one which has been seen on your punto, including the drive shaft. After almost 30 months of usage, I didn;t face any issues, not it has worstned.

regards,
-manju
Old 12th July 2009, 11:51   #7
BHPian

Any rust is bad, that said rusting of cast iron brake disc's is completely normal. But drive shaft, bolts and linkages should not on new car. I see good amount of rust on the linkage behind the shaft in your last pic in other post.
Old 12th July 2009, 13:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

MOst SS use borewater for their washing which has slight to high levels of hardness, this results in the pictures you have posted. Normal, nothing to worry about. Get a underbody treatment (negotiate the deal, if not already) and you will not see such rust stains.
Old 12th July 2009, 13:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
MOst SS use borewater for their washing which has slight to high levels of hardness, this results in the pictures you have posted. Normal, nothing to worry about. Get a underbody treatment (negotiate the deal, if not already) and you will not see such rust stains.
No need for underbody treatment. Maruti is the only manufacturer which does not do it in the factory itself. The GP has the underbody treatment already done in the factory so don't waste money on it.
Old 12th July 2009, 15:19   #10
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
No need for underbody treatment. Maruti is the only manufacturer which does not do it in the factory itself. The GP has the underbody treatment already done in the factory so don't waste money on it.
All cars of MUL come factory treated with an anti rust coating. But going on to put an additional underbody treatment like 3M will help in the long run. It also has sound deadening qualities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks