Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 19:40   #1
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Baleno - 2000 Model - Should i Keep it or Change ?

my baleno is now 9 years. Has clocked 82k. No major problems. Offlate, it started giving some trouble. Not my primary car. Use only in weekends. Max 600km a month.

1. cooling coil leakage. - Service Center told 30K expense, got is repaired locally for 4k all inclusive.

2. Driver side Powerwindow switch lost the spring action - Service center say will cost around 4k. Not changed yet.

3. Cold start has started giving white/blue smoke (some times, if i start the car after a week or 10 days. it take long self to start. Other wise on revup no smoke.

4. Weak Headlights.

5. Interiors are getting dull.

My concern, since it is now 9+ years old, will keeping it will give these small trouble, Spare parts - Locally not avaliable(easily), Spare at service centers are very costly. (Its the time that is more pain than money)

Options - Either i do a face lift and keep it for another 5 years or Buy any another used car suggestion welcome.

Also suggest some good workshops where i can get my baleno check in around delhi.

If a facelift, then whome to approach.

Guys please advice.
Old 11th July 2009, 19:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Baleno is quite expensive to maintain. We also realized this fact the hard way round. Our car is 35K kms till now ( Oct 2005 ) without any problems.

From the smoke, I think your engine needs some attention. Repairs will be costly and availability of spares is also not good.

The weak headlights are a result of the relfectors going yellow IMHO.

Final word is that if your powertrain is OK, then put in some money and repair the car with newer headlights, switches, etc. But if engine has some problem, sell the car off before it becomes too costly to maintain. Get yourself a new small hatch that will be quite reliable.
Old 12th July 2009, 08:14   #3
v&v
Senior - BHPian

I think my powertrain is Ok. Will get it scanned. A small hatch will not give the driving thrill you get in baleno. Mine cruse very smoothly between 140 - 150 kmph. The stability part is what i like. I didnt get this comfirt in any other car.
Old 12th July 2009, 08:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Baleno is quite expensive to maintain. We also realized this fact the hard way round.
Dude reconsider before you make any such sweeping statements. Just coz your car went thru one accident and your dealer couldn't source spares , that doesn't mean every single baleno in the country is facing the same problem.

Have you ever done a price check on some of the spares with other manufacturers like ford and honda ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Our car is 35K kms till now ( Oct 2005 ) without any problems.
May I ask , if you think spares are expensive why is the baleno still at home?

One humble request, before even you dish out such advice think twice.There are people on this very forum whose baleno's have run 1 Lakh plus kms and havent had any issues. I cant seem to fathom, how someone like you who has hardly driven a baleno around speak so much of spares.
Old 12th July 2009, 09:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
1) Dude reconsider before you make any such sweeping statements. Just coz your car went thru one accident and your dealer couldn't source spares , that doesn't mean every single baleno in the country is facing the same problem.

Have you ever done a price check on some of the spares with other manufacturers like ford and honda ?

2) May I ask , if you think spares are expensive why is the baleno still at home?

One humble request, before even you dish out such advice think twice.There are people on this very forum whose baleno's have run 1 Lakh plus kms and havent had any issues. I cant seem to fathom, how someone like you who has hardly driven a baleno around speak so much of spares.
1) Its matter of location too. I am located in a city that does not even have good engineers or managers as far as automotive dealership are concerned. Or rather its the entire state I think. A'bad too I have seen people facing problems and paying hefty price for spares. Again I am putting up these statements from my own experience. I have personally visited dealers at A'bad for relative's cars ( more than 3 baleno at distant relatives places ) and know that availability of parts and cost are an issue.
Honda I dont care because I know they are not quite good customer friendly manufacturers. Ford, I think they are working pretty hard in bringing the cost down.

2) Family stability. Typical family story. The day I am rich enough I will be jumping to Toyota's successful products, but now we cannot spend on a new car till October or march next year. A new car is on the cards. We will be selling off Baleno just because of expensive parts and non availability of sound technicians at service center. The hunt has already started and Innova is on the radar. I hate it thought.

Personally I consider that Baleno had the best combination of comfort, space, grace, pace, FE, driving pleasure, ride quality and feel that no other car can ever match. The only car that comes close is the Cedia.

No offense meant to anybody, but whatever I post is from my experience. Recently got baleno serviced at 35K kms for Rs. 3.5k, but no parts change was required. Thanks to auto-wallah, front bumper needs replacement : cost Rs. 12K + taxes + labor. Part not available. So left that.

And yes, I too drive the car fast and even dad does keep it upto 120 ( my limit is generally 140 ).

Last edited by aaggoswami : 12th July 2009 at 09:17.
Old 12th July 2009, 09:28   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi guys, we are deviating from topic. I problem still stands !
Old 12th July 2009, 11:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend finding a good mechanic and get the car checked. As long as it is mechanically sound stick to it. If it is mechanically sound get the electrics redone and some nice upholstery and it should give you another few years.

Honestly there really aren't any other options out there for you so I think you should stay with it for now.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:44   #8
BANNED

+1 .Just get the mechanical checked if fine Keep the baleno else move on.And keep on enjoying.I do not think a hatch will give you the pleasure that you get in baleno .Also the good fuel efficiency of Baleno along with early peak torque in rev band which makes it so easy to drive.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 12th July 2009 at 23:45.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think 9 years is a good enough lifespan for a car. You should start looking at cars now so you can make a decision by the 10th year.

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagoswami
The day I am rich enough I will be jumping to Toyota's successful products, but now we cannot spend on a new car till October or march next year
If you're unhappy about Baleno spares cost, I can't imagine how you'd react at the prices of genuine Toyota spares.
Please go to your local toyota dealership and go through the comprehensive list of spare parts and prices. Not just filters, brake pads, and tail lamps.

If you think Baleno spares are expensive, the only brands you'd be happy with are Tata and MGP.

Last edited by nitrous : 13th July 2009 at 12:15.
Old 13th July 2009, 13:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

v&v - being in Delhi should be helpful for you to source parts from the after market. have you tried that option ? alternately you can sell your car to somebody in Bangalore ( those guys are reeling under the high resale value of Baleno in the city ). there was someone who flew to Delhi to pick up a baleno. so you might find some good takers at a "better than delhi" price also
Old 13th July 2009, 15:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2000 baleno no complains till now except slow power windows
Old 13th July 2009, 16:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

@v&v - 2 suggestions. First, avoid the facelift. There's no point in pimping up a tired out car unless you plan to keep it for another 9 years.

Second, (and I really mean this), the best way to maintain an old/discontinued car is to give up the comfort of Company service centres. Read through what I'm saying:

Company authorized service centres are best equipped to handle 2-3 old cars (within warranty period) with their prescribed service schedules. All parts required within this period are kept in stock, and the mechanics are tought to push out cars with quickest TATs (turnaround times).

Any car older than this has peculiar problems which they dont face regularly, and dont keep those parts in stock. When you take a 9 year old car to them (that too a discontinued car), they have to individually source parts required for you, and charge a considerable markup on it. Thats why your repairs are working out to be so expensive. Plus the mechanics are also not trained to do time intensive, quality repair jobs, so your problems will resurface.

Take my advice. MGPs are easily available in most accessory markets, at prices far cheaper than what the company service guys will charge you. Identify a good garage/mechanic (not necessarily in your locality - the Delhi bhpians can give you names of good mechs), and make him give a detailed record of whats wrong and what parts are needed. Buy MGPs from the market yourself. The mech will do a quality job and probably charge much less than what the company service guys charge you.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 13th July 2009 at 16:51. Reason: Proper articulation
Old 13th July 2009, 18:29   #13
BHPian

All you need is a decent mechanic. Admitedly spares for the Baleno are outrageously expensive and more so from the dealers. An electric mirror switch retailing for around 1200 bucks. Since the car has been around for quite some time, a good mechanic should have adequate know-how about the car and will be considerably cheaper. As for the interiors just get it painted and put some new seatcovers..that will liven things up. FAcelift - AVOID
Old 13th July 2009, 18:39   #14
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi all,
thank for the comments.
Now i have started getting the job done from local market. can some one from delhi suggest some good mechanic/workshop where i can take my baleno for routine works.

The main issue is to get the right guy/shop, who can take care of your cars need.

thanks guys
Old 19th July 2009, 20:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
1. cooling coil leakage. - Service Center told 30K expense, got is repaired locally for 4k all inclusive.

2. Driver side Powerwindow switch lost the spring action - Service center say will cost around 4k. Not changed yet.
.... and I thought that my Ikon 1.6 is expensive to maintain !!!!!!

Sorry - couldnt resist
I suggest keep the car just find a local mechanics - parts shouldnt be a problem for Maruti.

I stopped going to the dealers when they told me the entire gearbox will have to be opened when my cars reverse was not engaging.
Ask around, Maruti mechanics are easier to find than Ford`s.
Try Manjeet in Gurgaon - opposite ICICI bank in Sector 14 - he OK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks