Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 13:01   #1
BHPian

Hydrogen fuel cells - inputs needed

Hi,
I was browsing the Autogas india site and came to the this new alternative fuel system called Hydrogen Fuel Cell. Here is the link to their website:
Auto Gas India

Anybody used it in India? Any input will be welcome.
Old 12th July 2009, 14:26   #2
BHPian

Facts and Conjectures

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Hi,
I was browsing the Autogas india site and came to the this new alternative fuel system called Hydrogen Fuel Cell. Here is the link to their website:
Auto Gas India

Anybody used it in India? Any input will be welcome.
Thanks archat68 for drawing our attention. I cannot provide any information on the usage of the referred system, however, the following comments may interest you.
1) The contraption is not a "fuel cell" (see wikipedia). A fuel cell generates electrical energy by burning fuels, which may include hydrogen.
2) The autogas website, after referring it as fuel cell in several places, uses the headline: "Fractal hydrosonic hydrogen generator (QTX F - H)". It uses the power of the battery for generating Hydrogen and oxygen gas by electrolysing mildly acidic water.
3) Apparently, the Hydrogen oxygen mixture (with possibly plenty of diluting air) is let into the intake manifold through PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve) hose, it may enter the cylinders and gets combusted there.
4) There is no way that it may drammatically increase energy-efficiency as the Hydrogen fuel consumes battery power which itself draws power from the engine through the alternator/generator. Same applies for pollution.
5) There can be some minor effects due to increased combustion efficiency.
6) It is a novelty but cannot be recommended due to (i) Safety and insurance issues, (ii) doubtful efficacy for FE or pollution abatement (iii) The ECU is likely to get confused and behave unpredictably, (iv) may not work for turbocharged engines as the intake manifold pressure may become positive and at best would not allow passage of the H2 O2 mixture to the cylinders.
Cheers.
Old 12th July 2009, 19:12   #3
BHPian

Mods, this thread can be merged with the following threads:
"Water Powered Car / HHO Generators - Boost milage & performance"
Cheers.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you use energy to Generate Hydrogen and still use it in the IC engine then it is not a fuel cell, and you are on a wild goose chase. Only if you can generate it real cheap will you gain.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

You may have seen the news in the report of GM Volt.

The Americans are finally putting back their hydrogen fuel program, since they do not expect to be able to put the distribution network in place in even 20 years.

Maybe we can now go back the the more viable Alcohol Fuel Cell programme!
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:51   #6

Re: Hydrogen fuel cells - inputs needed

Was searching for similar topics to my query and came across this thread
I have a maruti MG410 petrol and it gives 12 KMS / Ltr.

Came across this site talking on hydrogen cell (?) and passed this to a friend of mine, who works as a quality manager (engineer), with Mercedes.

He said, its harmless to try on old vehicles, but might not be a solution for the technology improved new vehicles.

Want to take the opinion of experts here before I go do something like this

the website url is :

Building a Hydrogen Fuel Cell (Part 1) | Scum Gypsy Wagon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks