Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 12:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Squealing Getz..

Hi Folks,
My Getz Prime has worked nicely with regular servicing. A couple of days ago after it rained (finally!), the car has started making a squeeling noise at low speeds on engaging the 1st or Reverse gear from dead stops. The noise seems to come from the front. Sometimes even keeping the clutch pedal pressed seems to make that noise. Is it a lubrication problem on the shocks? I want to understand the possible causes before taking it to the service center.
Thanks!!!
Old 16th July 2009, 12:51   #2
BHPian

hello

do sound is continuous there ? or it is there only in the start few minutes when u drive ?
as some sounds do come when water goes to the break pads
Old 16th July 2009, 13:14   #3
gpa
Senior - BHPian

From what you have mentioned, it seems to be that the brake calipers are binding as the noise is audible only when moving from a complete stop. Get it checked at a service station.
Old 16th July 2009, 15:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Give your car a nice wash
Old 16th July 2009, 17:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well it gets a scrub every day. Wash as in a wash with a water hose on the underbelly?
@dins - The sound comes even if the car is parked in a covered parking all day long. doubt it would be water. But yeh, its around only for a few mins.

@gpa - whats binding exactly?
Old 17th July 2009, 01:12   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

i think its the fan belt ...
Old 17th July 2009, 01:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

Nilesh5417,

Your post is unclear.

If the car is idling (without any gear engaged) and you revv the engine - does it make this squealing noise? Does the noise stop after 2-3mins of driving?

If yes - check the belts.
There are ATLEAST 10 other threads on this topic. (Squealing / screeching sound at startup)

If its not the above case, do provide some more information and we can continue this discussion.

cya
R
Old 17th July 2009, 03:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

If its squealing only while clutch is depressed,then it might be clutch bearing.
I had the same problem in my car sometime ago.
Old 17th July 2009, 03:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

just put a lil water on the fat belt and if the squeeking stops for a while, then its definitely the fan belt. a very common problem in the monsoons.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:02   #10
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Well, I'm not too clear on what the sound is exactly from what you have mentioned in a subsequent post. But the 'binding' that I was referring to was the brakes pads holding the disc hence not allowing the car to move freely. This is especially noticeable when moving from a dead stop with a pronounced squealing noise.

But it could also be the fan belt as others have mentioned.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:25   #11
BHPian

hello again

hey last month i was driving my getz in rural part and my car started making noise from the front left tyre and i felt there is somehting wrong as some small stone got stuck in the disc,i called up my mechanic he told me put the car on jeck & remove the tyre and now start the car again in 1 st gear and slowly release the clucth and i did the same and my car was doing okie in 2 minutes.
you may try this to ur car,in case same problem

Quote:
Well it gets a scrub every day. Wash as in a wash with a water hose on the underbelly?
@dins - The sound comes even if the car is parked in a covered parking all day long. doubt it would be water. But yeh, its around only for a few mins.

Old 20th July 2009, 12:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nilesh5417,

Your post is unclear.

If the car is idling (without any gear engaged) and you revv the engine - does it make this squealing noise? Does the noise stop after 2-3mins of driving?

If yes - check the belts.
There are ATLEAST 10 other threads on this topic. (Squealing / screeching sound at startup)

If its not the above case, do provide some more information and we can continue this discussion.

cya
R
@Rehaan - No, it doesnt make a noise while idling with no gear engaged. Yes, the noise stops in 2-3mins of driving.

I'll get the belts checked but what exactly is the problem with the belts? Just to understand the cause better.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:39   #13
Team-BHP Support

Nilesh, if i had to take a blind shot at what your problem is, just by reading the title of this thread i would say that it was slipping/squealing belts.

This is especially common during the monsoon due to the higher humidity.

The noise is basically caused by the belts slipping on the pulleys or maybe even rubbing up against something. (fan-belt, powersteering pump belt, alternator belt etc)

However......

Quote:
@Rehaan - No, it doesnt make a noise while idling with no gear engaged. Yes, the noise stops in 2-3mins of driving.
^^ now that you say this, it makes it seem like its possible that this sound might be coming from part of the transmission??

Try it again:
start your car and give it a little gas -- no sound?
and when you press the clutch - still no sound?
and when you engage the gear - then you get the sound???

Let us know.

Quote:
I'll get the belts checked but what exactly is the problem with the belts? Just to understand the cause better.
As explained at the begining of my post.

cya
R
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:47   #14
BHPian

Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nilesh, if i had to take a blind shot at what your problem is, just by reading the title of this thread i would say that it was slipping/squealing belts.

This is especially common during the monsoon due to the higher humidity.

The noise is basically caused by the belts slipping on the pulleys or maybe even rubbing up against something. (fan-belt, powersteering pump belt, alternator belt etc)

However......

^^ now that you say this, it makes it seem like its possible that this sound might be coming from part of the transmission??

Try it again:
start your car and give it a little gas -- no sound?
and when you press the clutch - still no sound?
and when you engage the gear - then you get the sound???

Let us know.

As explained at the begining of my post.

cya
R
Guys,

I had this problem the last time I took out my dad's Omni. This squealing noise comes from the engine area initially after starting in 1st gear and move at 10-15 kmph. It also re-occurs when you increase the revs in 2nd gear and then it disappears once the engine has reached its optimum temperature.

I got the timing belt and the fan belt changed during the last breakdown visit to Bimal service center, Blore about a month ago.

Do I have to change the fan belt or is there any other remedy for this?

advice on how to rectify this.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rehaan. Suddenly now, the noise has stopped even as the rains picked up. I was trying to do the 3 step analysis you listed above but no noise what so ever for a few days now. I will get the belts checked anyways just to be sure. I thot i better wait till the rains stop to get my car serviced. It was serviced in June before the rains started. Do you think i should hold on and not worry about getting it checked?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks