Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 02:56   #1
BHPian

Left drag - Swift 205/50/16 7J rim

I noticed that after getting 205/50/16 7J rim with Yoko S - drives, my Swift VDI is dragging to left quite strongly.

I have visited Madhu's (on Langford road ) thrice and the problem persists. FYI Madhu's has the Hunter - Digital Imaging technology, apparently the best technology in Wheel allignment.

Also got wheels balanced 2 twice, all attempts futuile so far. However even after driving for 1000 Kms with this problem there is no uneven thread wear, just that the vehicle drags towards left. Tried & tested the car on all kinds of roads, super high ways, different speeds, accelerated thru gears; Problem exists!!!

Ok, forgot something, the tires are on nitrogen with 29 PSI front / 28 PSI rear.

Any suggestions??
Old 21st July 2009, 10:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did u try rotating the tyres ? Try a tyre rotating from left to right and see if the problem gets sorted out.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

As humyum said try rotating all the tyres this will solve the problem, This solved mine give a try before doing something else.
Old 21st July 2009, 20:05   #4
BHPian

I swaped the front wheels with the rear wheels, but did not rotate them from left to right since these are rotation/directional tires. I need to remove them from the alloys and then only change them. I have not tried that.

Just curious as to how should that matter? Since all wheels are balanced properly.
Old 21st July 2009, 21:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
I swaped the front wheels with the rear wheels, but did not rotate them from left to right since these are rotation/directional tires. I need to remove them from the alloys and then only change them. I have not tried that.

Just curious as to how should that matter? Since all wheels are balanced properly.
Well i dont know, just a hunch, since the alignment seems right and the there was no pull before u got those new tyres, tyres can be the only culprit here.
Old 21st July 2009, 22:34   #6
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
since these are rotation/directional tires.
Do you mean uni-directional tyres?
Old 21st July 2009, 23:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

dude, give me a call.
Old 21st July 2009, 23:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Remove the left wheel, swap the tire inside out.
Old 21st July 2009, 23:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I noticed that after getting 205/50/16 7J rim with Yoko S - drives, my Swift VDI is dragging to left quite strongly.

I have visited Madhu's (on Langford road ) thrice and the problem persists. FYI Madhu's has the Hunter - Digital Imaging technology, apparently the best technology in Wheel allignment.

Also got wheels balanced 2 twice, all attempts futuile so far. However even after driving for 1000 Kms with this problem there is no uneven thread wear, just that the vehicle drags towards left. Tried & tested the car on all kinds of roads, super high ways, different speeds, accelerated thru gears; Problem exists!!!

Ok, forgot something, the tires are on nitrogen with 29 PSI front / 28 PSI rear.

Any suggestions??
As others said, rotation can help, I used to notice this problem after a rotation was done. Usually this goes away after a few thousand kms, but then it is time for the next rotation.
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

This is due to something called Road Force.

There are machines to detect this. It can never be solved as such. Hunter themselves have a machine(a wheel balancer) called GSP 9700 Road Force Measurement. This basically has a roller which comes into contact with the tyre when it is rotating and then analyses the forces acting on it. The machine then advises the user where to fit the tyre.

You havent mentioned if you got wheel rotation done just before this problem started.

Also, this is why it is always recommended to do a rotation only front to back and not to mix the left and right side tyres.

PS: You came to our shop 3 times. Didnt any of the guys tell you to do the rotation? It is standard practice to do so. Usually, that is the first thing to be done once the alignment is checked and found to be ok.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 22nd July 2009 at 00:10.
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:36   #11
BHPian

This has nothing to do with Road Force, or misalignment or poor balancing.

It's an inherent bug with almost all Swift-Ds. Do a thread search and you'll find a bunch of people with the same problem.

My DDiS does, so does a friend's. On a level road, at 50/60 kph if I let go of the steering wheel I'll move one lane to the left within 15-20 seconds. This is normal. It doesn't cause uneven tyre wear, but just make sure you rotate your tyres every 2-3 months.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Do you mean uni-directional tyres?
Yep, thats what I meant to write, but forgot the correct term.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
This is due to something called Road Force.

There are machines to detect this. It can never be solved as such. Hunter themselves have a machine(a wheel balancer) called GSP 9700 Road Force Measurement. This basically has a roller which comes into contact with the tyre when it is rotating and then analyses the forces acting on it. The machine then advises the user where to fit the tyre.

You havent mentioned if you got wheel rotation done just before this problem started.

Also, this is why it is always recommended to do a rotation only front to back and not to mix the left and right side tyres.

PS: You came to our shop 3 times. Didnt any of the guys tell you to do the rotation? It is standard practice to do so. Usually, that is the first thing to be done once the alignment is checked and found to be ok.
Hey Buddy! Where were you all this while? Thought I would meet you when I visited your place last 2 times.

I got the wheel rotated front to back (same side, no mixing so far) after I had this problem. This idea was suggested by the elderly gentleman with glasses in your place in the allignment section. He wanted to change the wheels: Front left to rear right; Front right to rear left. Since these are uni-directional tires ( S drives), he dropped the idea since it involed deflating and removing the tires from alloys and I was in a hurry.

So what you are saying is not to mix the left and right side tyres??

Now I have driven around 1000 Kms after the last visit to your place, the drag apparently seems to have reduced a bit; however still exists!!!

Last edited by anandkumargb : 22nd July 2009 at 19:30.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I
Any suggestions??
This is not the solution to the problem you are haiving.
I feel the tyre pressure is Low for VDi taking into consideration the size of the tyre.

You can try the solution kpzen suggested.

Again as kuttapan said sometimes it does happen.
I had the same thing in my zen for the first 500kms or so after service and tyre rotation / alignment / balancing.

Maybe it will go away on its own.
Old 26th August 2009, 01:31   #15
BHPian

I am a happy customer of Madhu's; I hope my post did not come across as a complaint for Madhu's. It is just a problem after getting the big wheels on my Swift and it apparently also seems to be a inherent problem with swifts.

BTW, the drag has reduced a lot automatically.

I really appreciate the customer service of Madhu's; One of the best!!!

@ to all T-bhpians - You would all be happy to know that Nikhil offers 30% discount on his services to all Team BHP members! You need to have a Tbhp sticker on your car, thats all :-)

Last edited by anandkumargb : 26th August 2009 at 01:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks