Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:45   #16
BANNED

The turning circle will be same when moving forward and backward. But sharper turns are only possible with rear axle steering/ multiple axle steering which can be observed in CRANES/ TIPPER TRUCKS.
Rear axle steering only can make a vehicle turn a tighter corner hence we use the "reverse and park method".
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

@ Sujith / Shantanu - that is what i had in mind : fire truck with rear steering wheels. i guess the same thing works when you are reversing in any car FWD & RWD.
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Im not talking about reverse parking or reverse steering here.

Consider any normal car with front wheel steering:
If this vehicle is kept at full steering lock and moved forward (in a circular motion) the turning circle caused by the wheels should be indentical to the ones made by the same car going in reverse.

http://www.drivingfast.net/images/te...iff_radius.gif

If the car in the above link moves backwards with the same steering angle, wont it create a circle of the same diameter as the one shown in the pic?

According to my uncle, the circle should be smaller in reverse, which i dont think is possible (unless it has some specially designed differential).

The turning radius of the OHC is 4.8mtrs, i dont think il get a lower figure if i try it in reverse.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd July 2009 at 12:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks