Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 21:57   #1
BHPian

Battery question - Can I use Indica Spec Battery in Scorpio, or other such swaps?

Hi folks,

Just bought a scorpio (2005 CRDE model), now the battery is OEM, so about 4 years old. The car is in perfect condition and has run about 50,000 kms.

The specs are 12 Volts / 65 ah (amaron OEM). I own an Indica DLS which I am about to dispose and it has a brand new Amaron battery, 12 volts 75 ah. My question is, can I change the batteries? Is 75 ah permissible for the scorpio, or would it cause electrical issues? The car is an anniversay edition and has 14 months of warranty left. Will this void the warranty?

Secondly, will the 65 Ah battery be sufficient for the indica. Pls. help
Old 21st July 2009, 22:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Hi folks,

Just bought a scorpio (2005 CRDE model), now the battery is OEM, so about 4 years old. The car is in perfect condition and has run about 50,000 kms.

The specs are 12 Volts / 65 ah (amaron OEM). I own an Indica DLS which I am about to dispose and it has a brand new Amaron battery, 12 volts 75 ah. My question is, can I change the batteries? Is 75 ah permissible for the scorpio, or would it cause electrical issues? The car is an anniversay edition and has 14 months of warranty left. Will this void the warranty?

Swapping the Scorpio's battery with a 75AH from your Indica will not cause electrical problems. However please check:

a) Dimensions - Important if the car battery has to fit in the Scorpios battery tray with the clamp holding it securely without being too tight. Ditto with the Indica.

b) Battery terminal & cable clamp size - Generally standard across the battery range bar a few. No harm in checking though.

c) Alternator, with charging voltages & current on both vehicles

Changing the battery will not void your car's warranty. Unless you have a DVM and ammeter and you are a DIYer, it is best to take your cars to a battery dealer who will test the batteries and charging systems.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
Old 21st July 2009, 22:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
More than sufficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Swapping the Scorpio's battery with a 75AH from your Indica will not cause electrical problems.
Perfectly answered.
Old 21st July 2009, 22:41   #4
BHPian

Hi,

Can someone help me with the charging current of the scorpio alternator?
Old 21st July 2009, 23:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Can someone help me with the charging current of the scorpio alternator?
Charging current varies with the electrical load, ambient temperature and state of charge of the battery. There is no fixed value.

If you want to know the max output in Amps you will need to speak to the dealer or consult a knowledgeable mechanic or even the OEM part manufacturer through their website. Indian car alternators are generally manufactured by Lucas, Denso or Bosch.

I need to add another check that you will want to perform when swapping batteries - Please ENSURE that the battery polarity is maintained i.e. the positive and negative terminals are on sides that correspond to the +ve and -ve battery clamps/cables. It applies to both vehicles.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 21st July 2009 at 23:12. Reason: Added point on polarity
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:57   #6
BHPian

Both batteries in question are Amaron, so guess stuff like polarity would be standard? Thinking of calling the amaron battery service to do the needful. Hope they are qualified enough. Still wondering about the warranty though. Let's assume the maximum charging for the alternator is 65 ah, then would the 75 ah not get charged or not get charged enough?

Thanks for your help thus far...

Regards,

Shekhar
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let's assume the maximum charging for the alternator is 65 ah, then would the 75 ah not get charged or not get charged enough?
THe battery is rated at xx AH (ampere-hour), or to simplify, for a 80 AH battery, if you drew 4 Amperes, the battery will drain in 20 hours (4x20) - for a 60AH battery, if you drew 4 amps. it will drain in 15 hours (4x15). The alternator rating is in A (amperes) - not AH, i.e. a 70 ampere alternator can generate a maximum of 70 amps on full load and at a maximum permissible rpm (which the manufacturer is to indicate).

So, whether you have a 50AH battery or a 100 AH one, both can be easily charged by an alternator with 60 amp rating or 100 amp rating - except that, with a 100 amp rating alternator charging a 50AH battery, the high rate of charge can make the plates buckle and damage the battery.

How much current you draw for the car (i.e. the load of your electrical equipment) is determined and limited already by the alternator rating - a change in the battery rating by a small percentage will make no difference at all.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:25   #8
BHPian

Hi SS,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. So, if the alternator rating is 65 amperes and the battery rating is higher, there will be no damage. Either to the battery or the alternator. Am I correct in understanding this?
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...if the alternator rating is 65 amperes and the battery rating is higher, there will be no damage. Either to the battery or the alternator. Am I correct in understanding this?
Yes, you got that right. As a rule of thumb, absolutely no damage. An automotive battery is not expected to be deep-discharged and then charged at a very high rate like 65 amps - that current runs the electrical systems in the car; but in case you do end up with a totally flat battery ever, don't try to charge it up from dead to full charge with a 65 amp alternator! That's not very healthy for the battery OR the alt. Use a low amp bench charger and charge it up overnight.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 22nd July 2009 at 18:32.
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Having a 75Ah battery in the Scorpio will be very helpful in cold starts. You can even go upto 80AH. I have a 80AH battery in my Scorpio.
Old 5th September 2010, 23:47   #11
BHPian

Car Battery Swap, Possible ?

Hi everyone, I have a Question might sound weird, Hope I get my answers

Recently I purchased Amaron Pro Battery for my swift, but i am not using swift for everyday day-to-day traffic, I now travel using my M800, since 2-3 days my car (M800) is taking 2 attempts to start in traffic signals, now my question is can I swap the new unused amaron FLO Battery in my swift with my M800 (Exide) ?

If so, what should i check? I visited Amaron Official Website and didnt get an technical details like voltage and suitable cars, Can you please help me.

M800 - MPI 2001 - Exide Matrix Battery
Swift - 2006 - Amaron FLO

Thanks

Last edited by johnruben : 5th September 2010 at 23:54.
Old 5th September 2010, 23:57   #12
BHPian

IIRC, the battery size (physical dimensions) and terminals are the same. The swift battery might be a higher capacity one though - that's not a bad thing.

There shouldn't be any problems if you swap them.
Old 6th September 2010, 00:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
IIRC, the battery size (physical dimensions) and terminals are the same. The swift battery might be a higher capacity one though - that's not a bad thing.

There shouldn't be any problems if you swap them.
Thanks for reply CrackedHead, was also checking other sites and found Amaron FLO is 35AMP 12V while Exide Matrix is 12V 32AMP, will the difference in ~3AMP not make difference in both Car's Alternator or something ?
Old 6th September 2010, 07:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

@John, do you mean 35 AH & 32 AH ?

3 AH should be fine. Go ahead, swap it and test it out. Worst case, the Amaron may not charge up sufficiently. But the chances are it will work.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:09   #15
BHPian

I remember switching the 45 amp Exide in my Conty with a 60 amp Amaron with no issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks