Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:15   #1
BHPian

Esteem 2002 - RPM Fluctuation (Blip) After Changing Gears

Drove my younger brothers esteem on the weekend. On changing gears (at the correct speeds), the RPM meter zooms to around 4k (wild fluctuation). then comes down to 1.5/2k and the car is distinctly underpowered right after the gear shift.

His driver verified the issue had been going on for a while..because of which he had to give 'raise/race' while changing the gears and the mechanic told him the car needs 'work'...sigh...

Any hints on what the issue is will be appreciated, before it goes to the garage...
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

This can be due to free revving nature and/or after pressing the clutch, even for a moment if the throttle is kept at the same place, this happens.
Suppose you are shifting from third to fourth. You press the cluth, but if even for a moment you have you foot on the throttle pedeal, this will happen. I am facing the same in Baleno. I had the car checked at MASS and he said there is no issue. Our car is performing well.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This can be due to free revving nature and/or after pressing the clutch, even for a moment if the throttle is kept at the same place, this happens.
Suppose you are shifting from third to fourth. You press the cluth, but if even for a moment you have you foot on the throttle pedeal, this will happen. I am facing the same in Baleno. I had the car checked at MASS and he said there is no issue. Our car is performing well.
Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately I dont think this is the case. Even when the RPM is high the car is lagging. So the RPM boost does not correspond to a surge in power, it is the reverse.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:58   #4
BHPian

maybe a worn clutch plate.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Plate ya Spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
On changing gears (at the correct speeds), the RPM meter zooms to around 4k (wild fluctuation). then comes down to 1.5/2k and the car is distinctly underpowered right after the gear shift.
Hey sorry for viewing this thread late. Get your clutch spring and plates checked at the earliest. The problem you're facing could be caused by a worn spring/plate.

I'll explain. Under normal running, the springs push the pressure plate against the clutch disc, which in turn presses against the flywheel. This locks the engine to the transmission input shaft, causing them to spin at the same speed. When you press the clutch, the spring disengages the clutch plate and allows the transmission to change gears while the engine is in motion.

In your case, even when you are releasing the clutch, the worn out spring/plate is not engaging properly and taking time. This is causing the engine to rev freely (zoom to 4k rpm, as you described) before the plate engages.

Even after engaging, there is a loss of power from the engine to the transmission due to the worn out plate/spring.

Hope this clarifies.
Old 27th July 2009, 22:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Hey sorry for viewing this thread late. Get your clutch spring and plates checked at the earliest. The problem you're facing could be caused by a worn spring/plate.

....stuff deleted....
Hope this clarifies.
That makes sense. Will tell his driver to get the same checked at the workshop. My brother is the type of guy who will just take a taxi if his car breaks down!!
Old 27th July 2009, 22:50   #7
BHPian

HeY Genesis,

I did have the same problem with my Baleno maybe 2 years ago, I was told it was due to two things, one the clutch plates were faulty, I could see the Creep in the clutch and the car could practically run from Vitesse to Shivaji Park in Bombay without pressing the accelerator pedal.

The second problem, which was told to me was that the O2 Sensor was bad, I am sorry I could not get a straight answer on which one it was .. but that had solved my problem.

Try the Sah & Sanghi at Worli next to Anti corruption office, behind Mahindra towers. They could fix the problem after one in Prabhdevi and another one in BKC failed me miserably.

One dealer had raised a bill for 18K for 40K regular Service, yet the problem was not fixed. If you need any help PM me please.

Cheers!!
Old 28th July 2009, 10:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
HeY Genesis,

I could see the Creep in the clutch and the car could practically run from Vitesse to Shivaji Park in Bombay without pressing the accelerator pedal.

Cheers!!
I am laughing hard at your quote...It would qualify the car a an automatic!
Thanks for the tips on the clutch!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks