Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 05:24   #1

Toyota Corolla 2008 - Wobbling at 110 kph

hi

i need someone to check on my car as it wobbles at 110 -120. also my car pulls to the left and shows some understeer. i had contacted toyota - lakozy motors malad mumbai. i had sighted this problem when i took delivery too. but repeated checks and service prove futile. but to no use. the car gives a very insecure feeling at high speeds which is not a case with other toyota corolla cars. i have also changed my wheels that too does not help

pls advise on future course of action.

sincerely

colwyn
team bhp
Old 28th July 2009, 09:39   #2
BANNED

Wheel alignment & balancing seem to be the culprits here.
Corolla otherwise isn't a great handler due to the raised suspaension it rides on in India. Even if your car doesn't pull, high speeds are never confidence inspiring in a Corolla.
Old 28th July 2009, 09:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
hi

i need someone to check on my car as it wobbles at 110 -120. also my car pulls to the left and shows some understeer. i had contacted toyota - lakozy motors malad mumbai.
1. Corolla is best driven at not more than 100-110.
2. yet your problem must be solved because it should not wobble no matter what the speed.
3. Is Lakozy an authorised service centre (I know it is considered good).
4. have you tried writing directly to Toyota. It works and fast. No matter how sincere the dealer, my view is that writing to Toyota is on a different plane altogether. Go to their website and register your complaint, and be strong.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check your tyres. The tyres may be cut due to which the car wobbles at high speed. You may need to change them. Since you already have changed that I have doubt on the suspension.

For steering to left, pls check on the following.
1. Wheel Alignment & Balancing
2. Suspension.

If it still doesnt solve problem, goto another Authorised service center for checkup and inform Toyota about it
Old 28th July 2009, 15:14   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Colwyn,

1. If it wobbles ONLY when the brake pedal is pressed, then have your brake discs checked. In all certainty, they have warped (uneven wear) and / or your brake pads are worn out.

2. If the wobbling occurs independent on braking:
- Wheel balancing + alignment.
- Check tyres for bulges / damage.
- Check if the wheel is bent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Corolla otherwise isn't a great handler due to the raised suspaension it rides on in India.
The later (2006+) Corollas ride & handle much better than the earlier suspension spec. Yes, still not to an enthusiasts delight.
Old 29th July 2009, 02:36   #6
BHPian

GTO - is it significantly better? Could i swap when i change my shocks? i ve got a 04'
Old 29th July 2009, 14:06   #7
BHPian

[quote=vasudeva;1404530]1. Corolla is best driven at not more than 100-110.

why do you say so? Please throw some light on this statement? 100kmph translates to approx 60mph ONLY.
Old 29th July 2009, 15:08   #8
BHPian

As rightly suggested, please get the disc, break pads checked. If they are good, wheel balancing should solve the problems.

Coming to speed, I am driving H2 2003 model still on the 'not so good' stock tyres and between mumbai and pune, I've never taken more than 140 minutes. I have felt very comfortable at 150 with 4 adults in it and not beyond that. An upgrade/change in tyres should instill some confidence.

I drive carefully and not rashly and treat the car well. Corolla reaches 140 much before you realise. Just my experience.

Most Viewed