Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 15:54   #1
Rai
BANNED

Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX Petrol - Which Battery?

Hi All,

I have 2003 Model Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX Petrol Model with around 62000 KMs on Odo.
Recently, Since I was out of station for 45 days, I couldn't use (even start) the car during this time. When I came back Battery was dead (though I had disconnected the Battery) and hence had tough time is starting th Car and in the process my Ignition switch also went for a toss & had to replace that.
Now, Since the battery is already 3 years old, I would like to replace the Battery. I don't have the Car Manual with me and hence not able to figure out the correct/best battery for this car.

I know there is a discussion in this forum on batteries in particular, but my question here is only for Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX Petrol.

Can you please suggest me the suitable Battery for this car. Normally this Car will be travelling in Bangalore & Mangalore (Dry area & Rainy Area)
I have following Questions.
1. Which Brand/Which Model/ Which Size (WxHxL)?
2. What should be the CCA / MCA / HCA rating (if exists)?
3. What should be the Freshness of Battery?
4. Any Warranty / Guaratee available?

Appreciate your quick reply.

Regards
Rai
Old 30th July 2009, 19:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hi All,

I have 2003 Model Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX Petrol Model with around 62000 KMs on Odo.
Recently, Since I was out of station for 45 days, I couldn't use (even start) the car during this time. When I came back Battery was dead (though I had disconnected the Battery) and hence had tough time is starting th Car and in the process my Ignition switch also went for a toss & had to replace that.
Now, Since the battery is already 3 years old, I would like to replace the Battery. I don't have the Car Manual with me and hence not able to figure out the correct/best battery for this car.

I know there is a discussion in this forum on batteries in particular, but my question here is only for Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX Petrol.

Can you please suggest me the suitable Battery for this car. Normally this Car will be travelling in Bangalore & Mangalore (Dry area & Rainy Area)
I have following Questions.
1. Which Brand/Which Model/ Which Size (WxHxL)?
2. What should be the CCA / MCA / HCA rating (if exists)?
3. What should be the Freshness of Battery?
4. Any Warranty / Guaratee available?

Appreciate your quick reply.

Regards
Rai
The Petra 1.6 possibly takes a DIN50 or a DIN55 which are 50AH and 55AH respectively, not sure of the CCA and other ratings. Dimensions should be exactly the same as your current batt or it wont fit properly.

Go in for Amaron (favourite on TBHP), Exide or Standard Furukawa. The battery should be less than 3 months old from date of mfr. Warranty depends from battery to battery and mfr to mfr.

I suggest you take your car to the dealer and he will be able to give you a make/model with dimensions that fits your car.

Rgds,
Old 30th July 2009, 20:45   #3
Rai
BANNED

Amaron Battery?

Hello R2D2,

Thanks for ur Quick Reply.
Well, currently I am having Amaron Battery and am tilting towards the same Battery. I didn't wanted to ask Dealer Directly, since he will push for TATA Batteries (I don't have a Clue abt this battery). So wanted the opinion of experts here.
Old 30th July 2009, 20:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hello R2D2,

Thanks for ur Quick Reply.
Well, currently I am having Amaron Battery and am tilting towards the same Battery. I didn't wanted to ask Dealer Directly, since he will push for TATA Batteries (I don't have a Clue abt this battery). So wanted the opinion of experts here.
If your experience with Amaron is good by all means go ahead for the same brand. Tata Green batteries are new and untested and avoidable at least till a point in time when they establish themselves in terms of performance, support & durability.

Rgds,
Old 1st August 2009, 07:04   #5
Rai
BANNED

Bosch Silver ION

Hello All,
I had been to Bosch Battery Dealer yesterday and he is quoting the Price of Rs. 5605/- for 60AH (DIN65) Silver ION Car Battery. For my Current AMARON battery, he will give refund of Rs. 300/- itseems.
I feel this is not a Good Deal. What do u all feel?
Old 1st August 2009, 10:44   #6
BHPian

I had a quote of 9500/- and some chnage for my Din 74, logged onto justdial and got list of 8 - 10 battery dealers in my area and he gave me 500/- cash back for my old battery ( 300 is less). I paid him a final amt of 7600/- . Battery installed is exide matrix with a 5 yr warranty (amaron is belive is 3 yrs) Exide also have a free service Batmobilepg2
Also check out Store:&nbsp Fiat India Pvt Ltd for the price (pls dont buy from here I don't know abt the Installation)
Sorry for the long post.
Old 22nd August 2009, 20:37   #7
Rai
BANNED

Battery Changed

After lot of Study I replaced my Fiat Petra's Battery with AMRON 65DIN which costed me around Rs. 5700. I did this in first week of August.

After this Battery Change I started getting the following intermittant problems/issues.
1. Sometimes Car would start the moment I insert the Keys. ( I need not crank the Engine).
2. Usually, Radiator Fan would run for around 30 secs after I STOP the Engine. After the Battery Replacement, this was NOT happening.
3. Usually, Engine Temp Needle is in middle of the 'Meter'. But after Battery replacement the needle will be at 3/4.

I couldn't logically relate these issues to Battery Change. So I was blaming myself (such as may be I have cranked the Engine, May be fan is running smoothly even after engine stopped but I am not hearing it. May be temp Needle was in 3/4 position earlier also).
This repeated for almost 2 weeks and two days ago I took the car to Service station. Even they didn't believe the issues, but they scanned the ECU first instead of jumping to conclusion.

In ECU the following Errors were recorded/present:
There were 2 Intermediate Errors from Ignition.
1 Intermediate error from Lamda Sensor
1 Intermediate Error from Radiator/Temp sensor.

Since it was intermediate Errors, service guys cleared these errors. They also checked the Ignition, Lamda Sensor and Radiator/Fan and all were working perfectly.
When I asked the reason for these Errors, they couldn't give me satisfactory answers. But they told me, may be these are false alarms, since my old Battery was very low in Power & Voltage. and that caused wrong readings.

Anywise after clearing these errors (which Costed nothing), all my issues are solved.

Lesson Learnt: It may be good idea to scan the Engine first and understand the problem, instead of jumping to repair.
If I would have taken the car to a place who didn't had scanner, I would have ended up with costly Repairs such as replacing the Ignition or Repairing of Radiator or who knows what repair :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks