Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2009, 10:27   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
BTW, when I saw the thread title, I thought it was something to do with a certain bathroom ritual....
Roy...dirty mind!

I am to pay a visit to the service station (Have been saying this to myself for a long time now). Will check the MASS stuff out. THe car needs more work, actually. Dented side doors, clutch refusing to budge sometimes, AC vent giving out smell of burnt rubber and, of course, the bells and whistles. I mean, literally, there are so many sounds coming in from my car, I begin to wonder if this is what bells and whistles means when it comes to Marruti.

Makes me paranoid thinking I have a huge sum to shell out.
Old 31st July 2009, 11:26   #17
BHPian

Can try a drop of Pril / two cap full of colin for full capacity of tank , have been trying this for last 1 month .However IMO plain water with Newspaper for wiping dry has been the best.
Old 31st July 2009, 12:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have mixing shampoo + water since overa year & it was advised by one of the mech whom I asked & i have never felt any downside.

Recently I found out that I had bought a Automotive Glass Cleaner which is an MGA & is lying at home sothis time I mixed some portion of this with water & using it & am getting satisfactory results. It had costed me some 69 bucks for a liter
Old 31st July 2009, 13:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I put a little Pril in with each fill; I'd rather use proper car screen additive, but haven't got around to finding/buying it.

In UK (and other cold-winter counries) we have to put additive in the tank: it acts as anti-freeze as well as helping to clean the glass.

My car goes several days at a time without being driven, and the windscreen gets dirtiest during these times. It is a dusty area, with sand/grit suppliers being nearby, and I do not want the wipers to grind this into the glass. I have one of those fluffy dusters with which I remove the dust before driving (take care to remove from the wipers too). I then have a spray bottle with dilute car shampoo with which I squirt the glass and clean with a cloth. When even this seems to leave a residue, I have a bottle of Auto Glym glass polish from UK which will leave the glass shiny and clear.

I don't care how dirty the car is, but I insist on clear glass for safe driving <Blush>.

It is particularly important at night when lights combine with any smears on the screen to dazzle.
Old 31st July 2009, 13:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
It cleans nice, but I stopped using it as I needed to do service as later fluid was not coming out from the nozzel properly. I am not sure as it happened because of shampoo. Gurus, give light on it.
Any answer to above question?
Old 31st July 2009, 13:24   #21
BHPian

I use this modicare duz-all glass cleaner, Costs 59Rs a bottle.

|| Modicare ATM ||

I add about 5-6 teaspoons of the solution to the washer tank and top it up with water.
Old 31st July 2009, 13:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I pay a visit to the M.A.S.S, I make it a point to pick up a few sachets of the MGA windshield washer. 1 sachet is to be mixed with 1 litre of water and used. Till date it has been working fine and I have no qualms. Also, the price is dead cheap. A sachet costs around 10 bucks (if my memory serves right)
Old 31st July 2009, 15:09   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I use this modicare duz-all glass cleaner, Costs 59Rs a bottle.

|| Modicare ATM ||

I add about 5-6 teaspoons of the solution to the washer tank and top it up with water.
Oh! Thanks for the link: they sell spic n span, which is excellent for getting hard water stains off taps --- in fact Parry's support centre sells it
Old 31st July 2009, 17:55   #24
BHPian

IMHO, its impossible that this was due to the shampoo. I am hoping that you added a small amount , say a capful , to a tank. If you added too much , perhaps it went all foamy inside OR the shampoo was too thick for the pump.

But assuming you did not do that (its an expensive and idiotic thing to do) ; its not the shampoo. Was your water tank filled with clear water? Impurities in the tank make their way to the tiny pump which gets blocked. Alternatively, the holes can be cleaned by pin / needle to see if the impurities are blocking the water there.

Finally there are times when the pump needs to be replaced - why - I do not know, but running a pump dry (without water in the tank) for a long time / several times is said to be a cause.

Quote:
Old 31st July 2009, 18:26   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Plain water has always worked well enough for me (in over 1L Km's of driving).
+1 to that. I like to keep things simple. Plain water does the trick in every driving condition on all my cars (including offroading drives).

Quote:
Probably some residue left over that clogged your channel.
Old 31st July 2009, 18:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Have been using plain water all this time... until the MASS added their sachet at the last service. Have been hooked since then. You cant compare the cleaning ability of plain water with water containing the additive.
Old 31st July 2009, 18:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

I use plain water for cleaning the w/s in my Palio.

The Getz had some cleaning solvent mixed with water when we took delivery of the car. now we use 250ml of Colin and top up the tankt with water.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 31st July 2009 at 18:58.
Old 1st August 2009, 00:15   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how I screwed my wash pump up.

You know how, if you leave a hose out with water in it in the sun, it gets green algae in it? It's a lousy idea to fill your screen wash reservoir with that hose before making sure it is completely clear!
Old 1st August 2009, 06:48   #29
BHPian

Another point to remember. It also matters WHERE you stay. We do have some cities (I can mention Ahmedabad - Gujurat) as having 'hard water'. You can see the effects on the taps in a bathroom. If you have used this water in the car windscreen wash then it is to blame. Use the de-mineralised water. If you do not know how hard this water is , try using rain water - its great for batteries / radiators too. Provided that the container is absolutely clean and you can keep it that way when stored. De-mineralised water is cheap and is a sure bet against such failures.
Old 1st August 2009, 06:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Many friends tell me to use a sachet of Jhonson's baby shampoo if the windscreen stuff is not available. Is it a good idea? Also, can we use good quality distilled water to fill the reservoir as well as top up the coolant reservoir? I always have a couple of litres of Diet Aqua distilled water at home to top up the inverter battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks