Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 13:59   #1
BHPian

Toyota Corolla A/C problem

I own a Nov 2003, Toyota Corolla. The A/c works, but only gives out hot air! (Even in full cold mode). It was working fine the night before and cooling well. What could have caused this problem overnight? Could it be a blown fuse or something? The car has not had any such problem before and is well mantained. The car has run about 61,000km's+ and has been relaiable throughout its life. Any ideas? The A/c is the automatic version (Climate control), not the manual one.
Thanks.
Old 4th August 2009, 22:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I own a Nov 2003, Toyota Corolla. The A/c works, but only gives out hot air! (Even in full cold mode). It was working fine the night before and cooling well. What could have caused this problem overnight? Could it be a blown fuse or something? The car has not had any such problem before and is well mantained. The car has run about 61,000km's+ and has been relaiable throughout its life. Any ideas? The A/c is the automatic version (Climate control), not the manual one.
Thanks.
I suspect its a fuse. Check the owners manual for the location.

If the fuse has blown replace and try switching on the A/C. If the fuse blows again or the A/C doesnt seem to turn on for any reason, you need to take to a technician.

Rgds,
Old 5th August 2009, 12:49   #3
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I own a Nov 2003, Toyota Corolla. The A/c works, but only gives out hot air! (Even in full cold mode). It was working fine the night before and cooling well. What could have caused this problem overnight?
If what R2D2 suggested works and if the compressor clutch engages and turns the compressor, but the A/C still does not blow cold air, the system is probably low on refrigerant and needs to be recharged, as you have covered a substantial number of miles.

If it is out of refrigerant or is low, check for leaks, recharge it and then have the system vacuum purged to remove air.

Today's cars with automatic climate control are very complex and require special tools and know-how to diagnose and repair, so its best you trust this job to your A.S.S.

Cheers,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 5th August 2009 at 12:51.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Does the compressor engage when you switch ON the AC? You should hear a click sound from compressor and the radiator fan switching ON after a small delay (under 30 secs)?

If not, start with the fuse and then proceed to checking gas level.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

It must be the fuse in the condenser fan line. If the fan does not go on, the compressor is not allowed to engage (chassis electronics logic).

When the compressor goes on, you will feel a momentary jerk in idling. When switching on AC if you don't get that jerk (normally one switches on fan with the AC button always depressed, just the fan load is insufficient for the idling to be affected), it is normally an indication that some logic is preventing the compressor from engaging.
Old 5th August 2009, 16:59   #6
BHPian

Forfreak also get your wiring thorughly checked , i had a smiliar issue with my accent and it turned out to be the wiring.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks